C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF) - PART 2

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Where do you project Geekie to go? I have read mixed reports on him. Some as high as 2nd overall and some as low as the 8-12 range.

As a Kraken fan, I expect that we miss out on Wright and Savoie and may end up picking Geekie (if available) between where we pick (4-8 range).

Honestly I'd have him in my top 10 but I really think that he will go top 5 and the GM picking him will say something like this.

We have the big impact center man who will be the face of the franchise for a dozen years and are surprised that he fell to us we had him ranked (add 2 to 3 spots, any team drafting him will say that they project him to be as good as Wright at the end).

My concern with him is his skating and how it all translates to the NHL.

His hockey sense and passing ability is elite for this draft and that with his size is why he will go so high. he has a pretty good shot as well.

Put it this way if he had the pace of Savoie he would be going #1 overall in this draft but how much of that gap can he close is the question scouts and NHL GM's will be asking.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m a fan of Geekie, and I think he has a chance to become a 1C, but I also think he’s more likely a 2C or 3C. The offensive gap between Geekie and Savoie is quite large, IMO no way Geekie goes ahead of Savoie. I’d put him more in the 6-12 range, while I think Savoie is likely top 2, and a lock for top 5.

Savoie is a play driver, plays with a tonne of pace and skill, makes things happen all over the ice. It’s very easy to see him as a top line, star forward in the NHL. Geekie has great size, very good vision, and good hands, but he’s not really a play driver on the Ice. Regardless of his linemates, he’s rarely the primary option, the guy carrying the puck up the ice and breaking defences down. Of course with a big, skilled centre, that could come with time, but I think Savoie is much more likely to be a star forward, and thus will go significantly higher.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Ridiculous how he isn't considered a top 10 player. If he plays his best, he could replicate a certain Butch Goring.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Honestly I'd have him in my top 10 but I really think that he will go top 5 and the GM picking him will say something like this.

We have the big impact center man who will be the face of the franchise for a dozen years and are surprised that he fell to us we had him ranked (add 2 to 3 spots, any team drafting him will say that they project him to be as good as Wright at the end).

My concern with him is his skating and how it all translates to the NHL.

His hockey sense and passing ability is elite for this draft and that with his size is why he will go so high. he has a pretty good shot as well.

Put it this way if he had the pace of Savoie he would be going #1 overall in this draft but how much of that gap can he close is the question scouts and NHL GM's will be asking.

Geekie has no hockey skill over Savoie. Nothing other then some size.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
at some point you gotta just admit "he's small, but if he can handle a hit then its no biggie. strength conditioning exists

He is short but a solid 180 lbs, I have zero concerns for him at the next level as a player.

The fact remains though that some in the NHL still love size.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
at some point you gotta just admit "he's small, but if he can handle a hit then its no biggie. strength conditioning exists
He’s not small. He’s short. There’s a difference. He’s built like a fire hydrant and I’ve seen him explode unwitting victims with pretty big hits. Iron Mike Tyson is short. He’s not small.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He’s not small. He’s short. There’s a difference. He’s built like a fire hydrant and I’ve seen him explode unwitting victims with pretty big hits. Iron Mike Tyson is short. He’s not small.

If this kid fills out like I did he'll be 200lbs+ at 5'10 and he looks like he has a similar build to me.

I'm currently closer to 220 but have a lot of muscle he wouldn't want as it would make him too heavy/slower.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If this kid fills out like I did he'll be 200lbs+ at 5'10 and he looks like he has a similar build to me.

I'm currently closer to 220 but have a lot of muscle he wouldn't want as it would make him too heavy/slower.
I don’t think Max Domi or Bryan Little ever suffered much from being short. Pretty powerful players. Very strong and low centers of gravity. With Savoie my main issue would be his short stature combined with his propensity for getting his bell rung. I’ve seen him knocked unconscious before and he had concussion history. When defensemen are 6’4 and you’re 5’10, and they catch you puck-watching, it’s a big disadvantage when it comes to risk for head injury.

Having a shorter reach limits his absolute effectiveness to some degree, but his being 5’10 is less of a concern about his game for me, than it is about his longevity.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t think Max Domi or Bryan Little ever suffered much from being short. Pretty powerful players. Very strong and low centers of gravity.

100% I'm agreeing with you. I have a build similar to these players. I'm 5'10 but have tree trunks for legs and have a 10 inch discrepancy between my shoulders and waist.

Much like these players I may not be tall but am not someone you could call small.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not similar at all in terms of style of play.
Can you elaborate? I have a hard time seeing guys like Savoie and Cooley being mentioned as potential 1st overall pick considering how projectable they are with their smaller stature. Looking at past draft it seems like these guys are mostly pick in the 4-10 range most years. Is this draft year not as strong?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can you elaborate? I have a hard time seeing guys like Savoie and Cooley being mentioned as potential 1st overall pick considering how projectable they are with their smaller stature. Looking at past draft it seems like these guys are mostly pick in the 4-10 range most years. Is this draft year not as strong?

Savoie is a much more explosive skater then Rossi which is the biggest difference. Savoie's game is based mostly on his speed and he uses his speed to go right at defenseman to back them off. He also often try to beat dmen wide. So imo he plays more direct then Rossi who likes to slow the play down and use his agility to open passing lanes up.

If you want an NHL comp he has similar attributes and style to Kyle Conner.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Savoie is a much more explosive skater then Rossi which is the biggest difference. Savoie's game is based mostly on his speed and he uses his speed to go right at defenseman to back them off. He also often try to beat dmen wide. So imo he plays more direct then Rossi who likes to slow the play down and use his agility to open passing lanes up.

If you want an NHL comp he has similar attributes and style to Kyle Conner.
Thanks! much appreciated

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there are some basic similarities, but Savoie is the better prospect. Taller, better skater, and a better shot, not to mention the real micro differences like described.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
The guy is probably not gonna go top 3. What was the last time a small boi like him went top 3? GM are still have for the most part an old school mentality about size, 5'9 is probably not going to cut it, even if his talent and ceiling is high.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The guy is probably not gonna go top 3. What was the last time a small boi like him went to 3? GM are still have for the most part an old school mentality about size, 5'9 is probably not going to cut it, even if his talent and ceiling is high.

He’s listed at 5’10 though. Jack Hughes was listed at 5’10. Didn’t measure at the combine either. Some have said Quinn and Jack didn’t measure at the combine because they would come in shorter once measured, although it was only speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad