C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

BLBarmada

Lol some of you should really just relax a little. Maybe he's just playing for fun while some of you are making throughout analysis on a 11yo kids play.

"average wristshot for his age" yeah :shakehead:

Calm down down buddy, and yes it average, please over here on AA half the kids can shoot like that, the other half better.

I'm mean how many people are touting him ? Look at what happened to Freddy adu.

Latex*

Calm down down buddy, and yes it average, please over here on AA half the kids can shoot like that, the other half better.

I'm mean how many people are touting him ? Look at what happened to Freddy adu.

I think you missed the main point of my post...

The kid is probably just having fun, not going for an NHL career and thinking what he should devolope in his game.

BLBarmada

I think you missed the main point of my post...

The kid is probably just having fun, not going for an NHL career and thinking what he should devolope in his game.

You missed my point, I said it's early to classify him as a potential NHLer, however I simply wrote what I saw, you took the shot part to heart, idk y.

If in 3 years he's playing a year up and dominating, then I think it's time to give him high praise.

And that's directed at everyone.

And yes I see your point, of course he's not worried about that right now, but it's great to see he's having fun. And he is very unselfish.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Someone's going to rip into me for this but:

He's good, by far better then everyone else in his age group. Highway miles against.

Ex: Peewee AA player against Peewee A players, now here in Quebec the gap is huge.

He may not be all that good, I understand he just carried a team to an unlikely victory playing a year up against top players, but the gap between top players at the age is huge.

To me I see a Peewee AA caliber player, probably the top player on the team. He's no prodigy, but hes dam good. I think it's premature, and he's overyhyped.

Right now, his skating is great, he's got great hockey sense, I mean this is advanced stuff that he's doing, he sees the play well, he sees the ice very well, smart with the puck. Great anticipation. His stickhandling is great, I'd say its a Bantam AA level.

His shot isnt great, I mean it's average, my cousin played peewee A last year and he can rip it better then half of the kid in double letters.

He's got good accuracy, but the wrist and slap shots are average/slightly above for a peewee level, AA wise.

Also it's highlights of him that I'm seeing so yeah.

I think he should be playing U15 in Norway that's like 2 years up. From what he's playing now.

He needs a better level of competition, it's a matter of time before he moves to Sweden.

Great player no doubt, but I'd take a wait and see approach. But he's a skilled 11 year old but I think it's early to start hyping him.

I see your point, but lets face it, he would get killed against four year older guys, maybe he could hang on there skill wise, but the physical maturity of a 11-year-old and a 14-15-year-old is HUGE. How tall is he? 5'3''? I would guess he would play against some guys who are over 6-feet tall, if one of them hit him, it wouldn't be pretty.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I see your point, but lets face it, he would get killed against four year older guys, maybe he could hang on there skill wise, but the physical maturity of a 11-year-old and a 14-15-year-old is HUGE. How tall is he? 5'3''? I would guess he would play against some guys who are over 6-feet tall, if one of them hit him, it wouldn't be pretty.
^ This. That is just insane to throw him up against kids who are that much older and bigger.

BLBarmada

Do they play contact at that age over there ?

And is their game that physical ?

Over here yes definitely he would get crushed without a doubt. U-14 he could handle, but at the very least he need to play in a better league against better competition if he's going to get better.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I hope he makes it to the NHL just for the idea of yearly highlight reels since the age of 8. That's probably never been done before in sports.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Do they play contact at that age over there ?

And is their game that physical ?

Over here yes definitely he would get crushed without a doubt. U-14 he could handle, but at the very least he need to play in a better league against better competition if he's going to get better.

He gets to regularly play against top U13 teams in Sweden, Finland, etc. Short of moving to Canada, how exactly is he going to get better competition than that? Yes, he could be on a better team, but he is playing against those better teams right now.

BLBarmada

He gets to regularly play against top U13 teams in Sweden, Finland, etc. Short of moving to Canada, how exactly is he going to get better competition than that? Yes, he could be on a better team, but he is playing against those better teams right now.

Define that, a few tournis every year doesn't count.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

From what I can tell from their website they play at least one major tournament a month and these are usually anywhere from 4 to 10 games long. As has been posted, he was named to the All-Star Team at the biggest tournament for the U13s in Europe — claiming that he's nothing special is ridiculous.

And, seriously, if Kopitar could develop playing in Slovenia then I'm sure this kid can do it in Norway.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok

His team will play in 4 international tournaments already before christmas this year. And these are Elite-tournaments in Scandinavia. This is in addition to the regular league schedule.

I don`t think it there are any U-13 program in scandinavia that is that much better than this.

In addition to his regular team he also gets to play for this Norwegian selects team. Not many 11-year old european hockeyplayers get to play that many games against top international competition.

I think he should at least wait until he is 15 to even consider going to Sweden or anywhere else to play.

BLBarmada

Okay, then in this case this is great for his development, I didn't know he was playing that many games against top tier teams.

To the nothing special OP, Sid Crosby played Midget AAA at 13 if IIRC, and John Tavares was in the OHL at 15.

Ones the best player in the world, the other a future star. Too young to tell how good he will be.

But this is a great sign for norweigian hockey, but he may be a player who's game won't translate to the next level, plenty of people dominate one level, and quite a few play up a year and then dont pan out.

Time will tell just how good he really his, I would like to see him play live, not just highlights.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
a long shot but does his team keep a stat sheet? kids numbers are probably outta this world

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Wow. This kid is way too young to be judged. Tons of kids look good at such an early age, in all sports, but then can't make that jump later on.

Latex*

I hope he makes it to the NHL just for the idea of yearly highlight reels since the age of 8. That's probably never been done before in sports.

Ok, maybe not released every year, but I find this Omark Footage to be pretty neat.

He doesn't look to be any better than Mathias at that age at lelast.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
a long shot but does his team keep a stat sheet? kids numbers are probably outta this world

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.p...icle&id=3260:meet-mep&catid=16:bugg&Itemid=97

An article done on him.

During the 2008-09 season, when he was just eight years old, Pettersen recorded an astounding 152 goals and 249 points in just 65 contests. The next season would see him net 113 goals and 190 points in fifty games. Thus far this year, he has 61 goals in just 21 appearances.

Pettersen’s scoring rampages are not just coming against those from his corner of the hockey world; in a U12 tournament earlier this month that featured talent from such elite hockey schools such as Färjestad in Sweden, the youngster netted twelve goals and fifteen points in six games to finish first and second in each category, respectively.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I've been showing some of my friends (who played pee we with guys like Josefsson, Kruger and Möller) his vids and they all say that Emilio is miles better at the same age.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
My guess is that he is playing against kids older than him.

In the video, he is playing in Sweden, but the ending says Lorenskog Hockey, which is a Norwegean team.

Of course this is not in Norway.Look at the stands.They are way too fancy to be in Norway.Most rinks where the elite leauge play in Norway is in what the rest of the hockey world would call practise rinks.This s a country where people are supposed to either ski or ski or ski in the winter.The politicians and the people that run athletics in Norway are not particularly interested in hockey.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't know to be honest.

But why the hell has his father removed the vids from YouTube in which Mathias Emilio is like 6 yo? :huh:
Good question.

Well..if Omark is lets say..6 in that..MEP is 10x better than he was at the same age. But..unfortunately we don't know how old Omark was..

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik
Good question.

Well..if Omark is lets say..6 in that..MEP is 10x better than he was at the same age. But..unfortunately we don't know how old Omark was..

Omark wasnt so good as kid/junior. When I played against he was good but nothing special and he was not appointed to TVpucken which is a tournament where you select the best players from 25 different regions into 25 differnt teams. Hw was also only reserve to Luleå Hockeys high school program but was lucky when somebody turned down his offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad