C Mason Appleton (2015, 168th, WPG)

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
So it's time to make a thread for this player. He's really adapted well to the AHL coming from the NCAA, currently sitting at only 1 point shy of PPG through 30 games. Kid has size (6'2", 201), seems like a great passer but hasn't had trouble putting the puck in the net either. AHL player of the week back in November as well. Really looking like another late round hit by the Jets here.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree, he's a terrific passenger player. Could see him playing top line minutes in the future, could be a final cut for the Jets next season. Wouldn't be a bad idea considering he and Roslovic have good chemistry and both could start on the third line with Perreault on the LW (also call them the Apperault Jack line).

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Ehlers
Perreault-Roslovic-Appleton
Lowry-Copp-Armia

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Certainly is playing well. I'll be happy if he even makes the NHL, given his draft position.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Longshot for rookie of year in ahl , if exists, but looking good. Not bad for late round steal!

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Appleton has been a really pleasant surprise. The Jets now have three young prospects on ELCs scoring at >= 1 point/game in the AHL this season, and that's after graduating. Connor.

Roslovic
Lemieux
Petan
Appleton

Add Vesalainen who's having a very strong season leading his Finnish Elite League team in scoring at 18 and it looks like the Jets have an outstanding forward group in their prospect pool.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Appleton has been a really pleasant surprise. The Jets now have three young prospects on ELCs scoring at >= 1 point/game in the AHL this season, and that's after graduating. Connor.

Roslovic
Lemieux
Petan
Appleton

Add Vesalainen who's having a very strong season leading his Finnish Elite League team in scoring at 18 and it looks like the Jets have an outstanding forward group in their prospect pool.
yup, they just need to get a new coach and add another solid dman and they’ll be cup contenders next year, that’s a deep offensive group

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
VERY little talk of this player. Seems like a unknown commodity or something. Leading the AHL in rookie scoring with 43 points in 46 games.

Whats the deal with him? How is his NHL potential and when do people expect him to make the jump?

Geeze how about Jets having both the AHL rookie scoring leader and also the AHL rookie dman scoring leader(Sami Niku)... both of which were 6th and 7th round picks in 2015. Well done Chevy and co.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
While his name was brought up against the game against the Colorado I was like "Appleton who?". Seriously though, if he's anywhere near as good as those points would indicate (given the age), the depth in the Jets forward group would be just absurd. Even without him while looking at all those young players, it's pretty ridiculous. Where do all these scouts come from? Detroit? :D

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
could be a Joe Pavelski type player who was a late round pick out of the USHL that simply just got better and better each and every year. definitely worth keeping a close eye on.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
He was on a Michigan State team that was historically bad (for us) the last few years and was one of the lone bright spots. Had a good year as a freshman and led the team in scoring as a sophomore. Having him leave really hurt us this year. We've got a new coach this year (Danton Cole, previously coaching the US Developmental Team) and having Appleton around could have really helped the rebuild.

The previous coach was an awful recruiter and there was no talent there for him to play with.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What is the reason for him being such a late pick?.. Or was it just the good old reason of just being pretty average in his draft year

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
What is the reason for him being such a late pick?.. Or was it just the good old reason of just being pretty average in his draft year

He was actually passed over in his draft year, Jets picked him on his second way through.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Trying not to derail the thread(add a little humor) but whenever i see his name i think of the old sitcom Perfect Strangers and one of the stars Larry Appleton. Co star Balki Bartokomous called him cousin Larry haha

Reactions: AmericanDream

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Between guys like Appleton, Poolman, Niku, Copp...heck even Samberg who although he was a 2nd round pick, not many knew much about him as a raw high school kid at the time - the Jets scouts are certainly earning their salary with picks outside the first round. And of course...hard to argue with the likes of Vesalainen, Laine, Connor, Roslovic, Ehlers and Morrissey in the past 5 drafts in the first round...with only Stanley really sticking out as an iffy one...that's an incredibly high batting average.

I'd keep an eye out for Jonathan Kovacevic in the future. Kovacevic in particular is going to fly under the radar, overager 3rd round pick last summer, plays for a smaller hockey program in Merrimack, doesn't put up eye-catching numbers. But has a pro body, shot and game and will be the next Appleton/Poolman-type for the Jets in a few years, IMO.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Between guys like Appleton, Poolman, Niku, Copp...heck even Samberg who although he was a 2nd round pick, not many knew much about him as a raw high school kid at the time - the Jets scouts are certainly earning their salary with picks outside the first round. And of course...hard to argue with the likes of Vesalainen, Laine, Connor, Roslovic, Ehlers and Morrissey in the past 5 drafts in the first round...with only Stanley really sticking out as an iffy one...that's an incredibly high batting average.

I'd keep an eye out for Jonathan Kovacevic in the future. Kovacevic in particular is going to fly under the radar, overager 3rd round pick last summer, plays for a smaller hockey program in Merrimack, doesn't put up eye-catching numbers. But has a pro body, shot and game and will be the next Appleton/Poolman-type for the Jets in a few years, IMO.

Have you seen Kovacevic play BK? I'd love to hear your thoughts on him if you have.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Questionable if he makes the Jets roster next year.

If he does I’d imagine either Lowry doesn’t get re-signed or Little gets moved(which I hope happens due to our lack of future cap space and Littles bad contract) as well as Armia not getting re-signed.

Possible Top 9(wih Appleton in):

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Lowry/Little Laine
Perreault Roslovic Appleton

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
If he does I’d imagine either Lowry doesn’t get re-signed or Little gets moved(which I hope happens due to our lack of future cap space and Littles bad contract) as well as Armia not getting re-signed.

Possible Top 9(wih Appleton in):

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Lowry/Little Laine
Perreault Roslovic Appleton
Appleton making the Jets and Lowry not getting re-signed?

There is less than zero chance of Lowry not being a Jet and Appleton being one or not has no input to that.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Appleton making the Jets and Lowry not getting re-signed?

There is less than zero chance of Lowry not being a Jet and Appleton being one or not has no input to that.

Im a huge fan of Lowry, and I think at the moment he deserves to be the Jets second line Center with his play(he is excellent defensively, he is as tough and strong as a Center as the league can find and he has done pretty well this season on the Offensive side of things and he’s still pretty young) this season, but if the Jets can’t afford him than Appleton has a spot. That being said I would much rather Little get moved(though I do agree with you in thinking these situations are slim to none).

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Past winners
1995-96Darcy TuckerFredericton Canadiens
1996-97Jaroslav SvejkovskyPortland Pirates
1997-98Daniel BriereSpringfield Falcons
1998-99Shane WillisNew Haven Beast
1999-00Mika NoronenRochester Americans
2000-01Ryan KraftKentucky Thoroughblades
2001-02Tyler ArnasonNorfolk Admirals
2002-03Darren HaydarMilwaukee Admirals