C Marco Rossi - Ottawa 67’s, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Honestly, I'm skeptical about picking Rossi. Had a great OHL season, but he's also pretty much a D+1 player. He only missed last year's draft by a week, and marginally outproduced McMichael, who went 25th.

McMichael had a great season.

Also, about Rossi, people forget he is not Canadian, had to go through some adjustments as a Euro in CHL

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I was all for Rossi at 4 but as someone said, I question whether a 5’9 forward can make it in the NHL. There’s zero active players that size that have more than 30 points.

Convince me otherwise.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't want the Wings to take Rossi at 4. And we desperately need a skilled C.

He's small. But he's well built. He's one of the oldest guys in the draft. He's already played pro. So he was having a blast playing junior kids who aren't physically mature.

I just don't see it.
If you're arguing that Rossi is the best tiny center in 25 years, yeah, I guess so.
Otherwise, when was the last time a 5'9 or shorter NHLer was effective at center?

Reactions: Henkka

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's built like Marchand.... he's pretty good.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I can't even.....the shit Rossi gets here...unreal.
- even those who think he is going to do well/great in the NHL
don't believe that he will be a center in the NHL,...

And what comes to his height, he was 5 foot 9 in the beginning of 18-19 season
and people think he hasn't grown since????.

One who takes a closer look and compares him (in his highlights from this season)
to other players on the ice can see that. - that he isn't 5 foot 9

Besides, 5 foot 9 player is almost as tall as a player who is 5 foot 10. (very little differene)
Which makes it super funny, calling a player of 5 foot 9 tiny, (too small) but 5 foot 10 is okay.
- so it doesn't matter the slightest if he is a 5 foot 9 center or a 5 foot 10 center

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I was all for Rossi at 4 but as someone said, I question whether a 5’9 forward can make it in the NHL. There’s zero active players that size that have more than 30 points.

Convince me otherwise.

Tyler Johnson? Mats Zuccarello?

Brayden Point is also like 1 cm taller or smth.

Reactions: derriko

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

He's small. But he's well built. He's one of the oldest guys in the draft. He's already played pro. So he was having a blast playing junior kids who aren't physically mature.

I just don't see it.
If you're arguing that Rossi is the best tiny center in 25 years, yeah, I guess so.
Otherwise, when was the last time a 5'9 or shorter NHLer was effective at center?
Brayden Point is literally 1 inch taller (listed that way at least) and 15 pounds lighter.

Reactions: derriko

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

I just don't see it.

He is small. True, but he is just like 3 cm smaller than Crosby or Datsyuk, 1 cm smaller that Point. Besides, maybe he has grown a bit.

He is well built. True, but how is that a bad thing? Crosby was drafted with 5'11 196 and nobody was saying smth like "he is dominating because he is physically advanced"

He is one of the oldest players in draft. Yes, he also had 120 pts and won MVP.

He has played pro. At 15. Kinda proves he is a huge talent.

Was having a blast playing against physically not mature kids- Well, as you mentioned, he is still a small guy, and while one of the oldest at the draft, still younger than most players in OHL. He has a historic season for a 1-st time drafted player. Besides, he is a euro, who still had to go through some adjustment.

To summarize, my point is: if you want to use some evidence against Rossi, then it could work if he had just a good season and was getting carried by some super linemate. Kinda like Sam Gagner back in the day. But Rossi didn't have just a good season, he had a historic season, got MVP and outscored Lafreniere, I mean, what else he should have done? 200 pts?

I want Rossi at 4 and I think he is overscouted at this point. A narrative was made on why Rossi is lower than Byfield when he outscored him so much and people are now taking all of this "he is small" "he played pro" "he is physically advanced" too seriously, so now this "evidence" doesn't just prove that Byfield is higher, but also proves that Rossi isn't even TOP 5 material and 120 pts plus OHL MVP don't matter at all.
Another thing that hurts Rossi is the fact that he is an austrian, and while Stutzle showcased his talents at WJC and everybody is convinced he is a new big prospect from Germany, Rossi had no such opportunity.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He is small. True, but he is just like 3 cm smaller than Crosby or Datsyuk, 1 cm smaller that Point. Besides, maybe he has grown a bit.

He is well built. True, but how is that a bad thing? Crosby was drafted with 5'11 196 and nobody was saying smth like "he is dominating because he is physically advanced"

Was having a blast playing against physically not mature kids- Well, as you mentioned, he is still a small guy, and while one of the oldest at the draft, still younger than most players in OHL. He has a historic season for a 1-st time drafted player. Besides, he is a euro, who still had to go through some adjustment.

To summarize, my point is: if you want to use some evidence against Rossi, then it could work if he had just a good season and was getting carried by some super linemate. Kinda like Sam Gagner back in the day. But Rossi didn't have just a good season, he had a historic season, got MVP and outscored Lafreniere, I mean, what else he should have done? 200 pts?

I want Rossi at 4 and I think he is overscouted at this point. A narrative was made on why Rossi is lower than Byfield when he outscored him so much and people are now taking all of this "he is small" "he played pro" "he is physically advanced" too seriously, so now this "evidence" doesn't just prove that Byfield is higher, but also proves that Rossi isn't even TOP 5 material and 120 pts plus OHL MVP don't matter at all.
Another thing that hurts Rossi is the fact that he is an austrian, and while Stutzle showcased his talents at WJC and everybody is convinced he is a new big prospect from Germany, Rossi had no such opportunity.

Out of Byfield and Rossi - one guy is closer to his ceiling than the other. And the one with way more potential is Byfield.
It's for a lot of those reasons you just listed, including age.

I mean, get mad if you want, but in my list I still had the kid going in the top 8 to Buffalo.

I remember people suggesting Cole Caufield should go top 5 last year. And if he was 5'11, he would have.
But he went 13th.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Out of Byfield and Rossi - one guy is closer to his ceiling than the other. And the one with way more potential is Byfield.
It's for a lot of those reasons you just listed, including age.

I mean, get mad if you want, but in my list I still had the kid going in the top 8 to Buffalo.

I remember people suggesting Cole Caufield should go top 5 last year. And if he was 5'11, he would have.
But he went 13th.

Yes, people make justifications for why Byfield should be higher. I personally am not high on Byfield. I don't watch OHL, but when I saw him at international level, he was underwhelming, reminded me of Kirill Petrov, who used to be really hyped in 2007.
However, that's my personal take. What I find interesting is that no one is using "he is big" argument against Byfield, who is one of the biggest players in OHL at 6'5 220. But people are making a big deal about the fact, that Rossi is well developed.

Caufield played in a weak league and is 5'7, come on, not a great comparison.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018

Great post.Praying he falls to Sabres at 8.Doubt it though.

Reactions: jc17

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I just don't see it.

Tyler Johnson and David Desharnais. But I agree with your point. Those two guys were not highly regarded prospects. They had to beat the odds to reach the league and prove themselves to an extent others didn’t have to.

The red carpet meanwhile has been rolled out for Rossi. All these people have decided that what has mattered in the past and what has been the usual evaluation of a player like Rossi no longer applies. This is the guy they’re betting on.

Personally, I’m not going to do that. I’m not going to say he needs to be ranked as a 7th rounder or undrafted guy because he’s a 5’9 center, considering you can shift him to winger and there’s examples of successful 5’9 wingers. But his game comes with risk and many don’t want to account for that. I think you have to properly account for the risk in how you rank him.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
It really should be quite fascinating to follow Rossi’s journey. On the one hand, the negatives are quantifiable and, perhaps, reasonable (age, size, country). But on the other hand, he really just simply passes the eye-test. He’s so good that he is being ranked as a potential top-4 pick despite the “drawbacks”. So personally I will be enjoying sitting back and watching the show.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
6C811ABD-E30C-449B-84F0-EA127C1E02A2.jpeg

He doesn’t look 4” shorter than Quinn who is listed at 6 foot 1.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The league is littered with small players who play bigger than most players. Rossi is going to be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad