C Marco Rossi - Ottawa 67’s, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i am sure he will play center,

How can you be sure?

Doesn’t it matter what NHL teams think? They are the ones that’ll make those decisions. I have no reason to doubt the information Mark Edwards is hearing. He’s as much of an insider as anyone who posts on this website.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How can you be sure?

Doesn’t it matter what NHL teams think? They are the ones that’ll make those decisions. I have no reason to doubt the information Mark Edwards is hearing. He’s as much of an insider as anyone who posts on this website.
You've been a Rossi detractor all season its no wonder you would post something like this.

I question his ultimate upside as a scorer but i do not question his ability to play center at the NHL level. Its someone from the outside looking at his size and skating not someone who actually watched him very often. His defensive game is probably the thing I personally like about him most. Spoke to two scouts about him at the end of the season both project him as a center. If he doesnt project as a centerman in the NHL i wouldnt touch him in the top 15. His puck distributing ability is his most elite offensive trait along with losing his check as the trailer after he starts the play in his own zone due to his defenisve ability. If he isnt playing center he has less of an opportunity to do both of these things.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
You've been a Rossi detractor all season its no wonder you would post something like this.

I question his ultimate upside as a scorer but i do not question his ability to play center at the NHL level. Its someone from the outside looking at his size and skating not someone who actually watched him very often. His defensive game is probably the thing I personally like about him most. Spoke to two scouts about him at the end of the season both project him as a center. If he doesnt project as a centerman in the NHL i wouldnt touch him in the top 15. His puck distributing ability is his most elite offensive trait along with losing his check as the trailer after he starts the play in his own zone due to his defenisve ability. If he isnt playing center he has less of an opportunity to do both of these things.

How is not expecting Rossi to play center in the NHL being a Rossi detractor? I think Rossi is a great prospect and as you correctly point out he does a lot of things well that good centers are required to do. I still, however, don't see him playing center long-term in the NHL. Junior hockey isn't professional hockey and should never be confused for such.

Reactions: Vachon23

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How is not expecting Rossi to play center in the NHL being a Rossi detractor? I think Rossi is a great prospect and as you correctly point out he does a lot of things well that good centers are required to do. I still, however, don't see him playing center long-term in the NHL. Junior hockey isn't professional hockey and should never be confused for such.

I think I explained it pretty well in my post. If he isnt a center at the next level he isnt a great prospect therefore you are a detractor. I never confused jr hockey as professional hockey no idea where you got that one. Maybe re-read what I wrote.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There are some wingers who are exceptional distributors and puckhandlers, like Kane, Gaudreau, and Granlund. Don't see why Rossi can't follow in their footsteps.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thats great, but it's also irrelevant.

I have no impact on that determination. NHL Teams do. If someone with better sources than anyone here says teams think he'll move to wing, I don't know why someone would be so matter-of-factly sure he won't move to wing. It's not the choice of fans. They don't run these teams. As you mentioned, you spoke with some scouts that think he'll stay at center. Did you speak with scouts for NHL teams? Because if not, it doesn't matter what scouts for teams in other leagues think. It's not their decision.

To insert some opinion into my post, I don't think any of us can be sure which position Rossi will play in the NHL. Thats one of the things teams will have to take into account when they are considering where to rank him, and draft him. You can call me a detractor, if you like, but I said nothing negative about him in this post or the last post. You are choosing to interpret objectivity as negativity because your subjective opinion doesn't benefit from an objective discussion of the situation.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
There are some wingers who are exceptional distributors and puckhandlers, like Kane, Gaudreau, and Granlund.
If he isnt a center at the next level he isnt a great prospect therefore you are a detractor.

I am still of the belief that the NHL is two decades behind. Of the four major sports hockey most resembles basketball—players are never really stationary. That allows for roles/positions to be fluid. Few NBA teams really have one-player committed to the low-post. Several don't even list center in their starting lineup. Teams that don't restrict themselves to specific roles have more flexibility and cause the opposition more problems matching up. Hockey will eventually get there—a player like Rossi should be more valuable because of a flexible skill set.

In fact, some team will figure out that having three Rossi-like players on the ice is the best forward lineup. The "center" duties can be determined by the match-up; it can even be altered from shift to shift; or it can be based on the order the line changes and which team has possession. Tradionalists will think this is madness, but so too was a four-guard lineup in basketball or, going back many years, the shotgun in football.
Players should be evaluated on their talent—then the role they are given should be based on that talent (Giannis anyone?) and how to maximize it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am still of the belief that the NHL is two decades behind. Of the four major sports hockey most resembles basketball—players are never really stationary. That allows for roles/positions to be fluid. Few NBA teams really have one-player committed to the low-post. Several don't even list center in their starting lineup. Teams that don't restrict themselves to specific roles have more flexibility and cause the opposition more problems matching up. Hockey will eventually get there—a player like Rossi should be more valuable because of a flexible skill set.

In fact, some team will figure out that having three Rossi-like players on the ice is the best forward lineup. The "center" duties can be determined by the match-up; it can even be altered from shift to shift; or it can be based on the order the line changes and which team has possession. Tradionalists will think this is madness, but so too was a four-guard lineup in basketball or, going back many years, the shotgun in football.
Players should be evaluated on their talent—then the role they are given should be based on that talent (Giannis anyone?) and how to maximize it.

Its happening to a large degree with the F1, F2, F3 responsibilities in both zones regardless of position. Taking the draw will just go to who's best at it and that can change depending on the side or even where it is.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Its happening to a large degree with the F1, F2, F3 responsibilities in both zones regardless of position. Taking the draw will just go to who's best at it and that can change depending on the side or even where it is.

the future is definitively having all 3 guys on a line playing as fluid rotating Cs. its why Vegas is so good. every one of their forwards plays and defends like a center. Same with Bostons line, they are all smart, fluid, and cover for each other.

Thats why I dont really think its too important if Rossi is a W or C at the NHL level. Even if he is a winger hes still gonna be a solid and relentless defensive player.

Last edited:

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015

Mcdavid/Draisaitl do this perfectly while on the same line

Reactions: emptyNedder

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
While I don't disagree there is a lot of fluidity among forwards at time, there is also no question that the physical requirements of a center in the defensive zone are considerable. Wingers are often tasked with covering the point and one is always hovering high. The center never hovers high and has to work his tail off until the puck is re-possessed, and physically gets matched up down low against other forwards constantly. Size and speed matter. Sometimes one of the wingers may work a similar amount on a shift, but there are clear breaks for wingers on the offside in a zone. On either side of the net down low, it's the other d-man and center who take on the lions share of defence.

It's why Kane plays wing in the defensive zone, but basically goes back to center most of the time once they get passed his own blueline. Same thing happened to Daigle after a few years and the league became more physical. Rossi has the attitude and acumen to play center, but I'm not surprised some pro scouts question his ability to be an NHL center. But I'm also not surprised some do see him as a center. It's a fair debate that no is really right or wrong about at this point. In some ways, it looks he shouldn't be able to be a center given his size and lack of elite speed. On the other hand, he is smart as hell and a sturdy little fella. But either way, I think he'll at least get a look there at times to prove the detractors wrong. Mostly because they team that drafts him will likely project him as a center because he'd be more valuable there if he can cover the defensive side of things.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The center never hovers high and has to work his tail off until the puck is re-possessed, and physically gets matched up down low against other forwards constantly. Size and speed matter. Sometimes one of the wingers may work a similar amount on a shift, but there are clear breaks for wingers on the offside in a zone. On either side of the net down low, it's the other d-man and center who take on the lions share of defence.

I don't disagree. But it will be less taxing if any one of the forwards only has 40-50% of that extra work. The work of matching up down low will still exist—as it does in basketball. However, the emphasis will be more on speed (quickness really—skating quickness, stick quickness, and mental quickness) and less on size/strength. Of course someone like Byfield will still have size in his favor (as LeBron does in the modern NBA).

Reactions: derriko

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Is that version available? Sounds interesting

I made those for HP, they were on my old laptop that crashed. From what I remember Vitali Abramov in 2016 had a pretty bad difference ppg ratio between top half/ bottom half teams. Close to 1ppg difference. I don't remember anyone being close to Rossi 1.48ppg ratio though. I used to focus on the QMJHL mostly, data much easier to get from the Q than the other leagues. Last year I remember Jakob Pelletier had 40% of his points against the two worst teams in the QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst and Saint John). I still like Pelletier as a player but that was very interesting when I found that out.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I made those for HP, they were on my old laptop that crashed. From what I remember Vitali Abramov in 2016 had a pretty bad difference ppg ratio between top half/ bottom half teams. Close to 1ppg difference. I don't remember anyone being close to Rossi 1.48ppg ratio though. I used to focus on the QMJHL mostly, data much easier to get from the Q than the other leagues. Last year I remember Jakob Pelletier had 40% of his points against the two worst teams in the QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst and Saint John). I still like Pelletier as a player but that was very interesting when I found that out.
Ugh, I know the pain of the computer/hard-drive crash.

Yeah its something I think i'll continue to look into. Definitely an interesting way to break down scoring even more.

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020

IMO Rossi is one of the few in this draft who is ready for the NHL. His physics is much better than most of the kids ones. And it is funny how people always talk about mens hockey and think he can't handle it. Just to remind you, he played mens hockey in the Suisse 2 years ago

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

I agree that a total futbol style is the tactical future, but basketball, for example, has a broken scoring system which has allowed the play to move away from the hoop. Hockey doesn't have a 3pt shot, nor does it alternate possessions, you need to get the puck back manually. You will never see a hockey version of the Rockets because of that, 3 on 3 notwithstanding.

Having watched the Leafs this season try taking fluidity and skill to the precipice, no team in the NHL has the depth to pull it off. It requires far too much skill, discipline and intelligence to play CCCP-style hockey at the NHL level.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
What's the gap between Stützle and Rossi?
Depends who you ask.

In general, Stutzle is part of the top tier, and Rossi part of a 2nd tier. The question is mostly about upside. Stutzle has the speed and dynamic abilities to be a game breaker. Rossi' upside is generally considered lower and is a bit more of a polarizing prospect. Everyone likes Rossi, but some scouts don't see him as an impact player given his size and lack of speed, and think he'll get shifted to the wing. Some scouts really like Rossi and can see him as a scoring line center given his elite vision and hockey IQ. Biggest difference is skating in terms of skills, as Stutzle is one of the best skaters in the draft. Rossi is likely the slowest and least dynamic skater among the top 10 prospects.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Detroit bound, 4th overall pick is guaranteed to the Wings. Yzerman is not afraid to pick smallish forwards like Rossi. And Red Wings are in the need of a creative playmaker center.

Rasmussen(6'6'') - Rossi - Mantha (6'5'')
Power(6'5'') - Seider (6'4'')

In a lineup like that Rossi himself will grow few inches. Yzerman likes big defensive corps and he had Hedman in Tampa, so i could see him picking Owen Power in 2021 draft.

Reactions: Ulysses31

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The more and more I read up about him the more I wouldn't mind if the Devils grab him with pick #6 (if the picks were to hypothetically stay the same). The only 2 knocks most people can come up with is him being close to a 2019 pick in age and his size. The size factor isnt to big of an issue to me , at 5 foot 9 close to 180lbs being 18 years old this kid wont lack weight. His stats from last year are solid too coming to North America for the 1st time and averaging a ppg. Not to many holes in his game either. Gonna be interesting to see where he winds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad