C Marco Rossi - Ottawa 67’s, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbossman

Jan 15, 2016
Been watching his highlights and the kid reminds me of Patrick Kane,I would love him on the Habs

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He plays more like Crosby than Kane.
Agreed. Perfetti is more like Kane than Rossi. Kane is faster in open ice but the way Perfetti plays in the ozone , his puck handling, vision, play making and shot remind me of Kane. Rossi is more energy, more pace, more power, more driving with his legs... more like Crosby than Kane.
Stylistic comparisons only not projections.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Agreed. Perfetti is more like Kane than Rossi. Kane is faster in open ice but the way Perfetti plays in the ozone , his puck handling, vision, play making and shot remind me of Kane. Rossi is more energy, more pace, more power, more driving with his legs... more like Crosby than Kane.

Bighitter would agree with this.

Reactions: slumpy43

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Say he was a year younger, where would he have been drafted last year? Third behind Kakko and Hughes?

I mean it doesn't work that way he's already an overager... so what you mean is if he was born 8 days younger, well he would have been drafted in the 20's.

you can't pick someone's current production as an overager in a draft, ask where he would have been drafted if he was 1 year younger in last years draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Say he was a year younger, where would he have been drafted last year? Third behind Kakko and Hughes?

Outside the top 20. It's not a good comparison because when these hypothetical discussions come up, these players would always be the youngest player in the draft, but usually these guys would be nowhere near the top of the draft. Someone asked the same recently about Brady Tkachuk, and he would've likely been outside the top 20, as well, for his draft. It's still to be determined if Rossi amounts to the level of player that Tkachuk did, but from a draft perspective, Rossi was definitely lucky about when in September he was born.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good post! The way things worked out limited what I seen of Rossi. Don't get to see the O much. Would you compare him to Giroux?

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I think Mikael Granlund isn't a bad comparison. Brian Little perhaps. Smaller pass-first centers who are solid on the PP. Nick Backstrom has also been used as a comparable, although Backstrom is bigger and faster, but they play similar, using their strength and vision to constantly feed their wingers in dangerous areas.

Doanator

Shane Doan - hall of fame
Jan 10, 2020
Austria
How will a potential later start of 2020/21 season affect the possibility for Rossi and other prospects to play in the NHL next season?

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
How will a potential later start of 2020/21 season affect the possibility for Rossi and other prospects to play in the NHL next season?

The bigger question is will the CHL even play. With out fans in seats, it becomes really hard to expect the owners of these franchises to run the leagues. I've suggested a pay-per-view style model for local fans to access via TV to get the games going regardless and I'm sure they're looking at that. But to your point, if you draft Rossi and the CHL is in question of playing, then you can likely put him in your bottom 6 in the NHL next year and I doubt he'd hurt you. Smart, relatively strong for his size and responsible defensively. Could easily slide over to the wing too. I think Rossi might play in the NHL anyway, given he dominated the CHL and it won't be an issue to have him in your bottom 6.

Reactions: deflowd

Doanator

Shane Doan - hall of fame
Jan 10, 2020
Austria
The bigger question is will the CHL even play. With out fans in seats, it becomes really hard to expect the owners of these franchises to run the leagues. I've suggested a pay-per-view style model for local fans to access via TV to get the games going regardless and I'm sure they're looking at that. But to your point, if you draft Rossi and the CHL is in question of playing, then you can likely put him in your bottom 6 in the NHL next year and I doubt he'd hurt you. Smart, relatively strong for his size and responsible defensively. Could easily slide over to the wing too. I think Rossi might play in the NHL anyway, given he dominated the CHL and it won't be an issue to have him in your bottom 6.
Thanks, Pay per view model seems a good idea!

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss

he would not play in the CHL nxt year anyway, Europa or NHL/AHL, he said already no more CHL.

Reactions: derriko

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’d seriously consider Rossi as high as 2nd overall. Laf is the clear #1, but after that I find it very tough to rank Byfield, Rossi, Stutzle, Drysdale and Raymond. I like Rossi’s game A LOT, though. I think in terms of vision/playmaking, he’s right here with Laf for best in the draft. Great hands, great skating (no idea why some criticize this, he’s an excellent skater), good shot, competes hard, strong on the puck, and plays a high IQ, effective defensive game. Really, the only strikes against him are his size and age (one of the older players in the draft). But he’s got a super polished, NHL ready game, and IMO will be an impact player in the NHL next year.

Ultimately, I’d probably take Byfield 2nd, he’s not as good as Rossi or Stutzle today, but his upside is too high to pass up. One of the youngest players in the draft, 6’4” C, great skater, terrific tools, somewhat raw game but still put up almost 2 PPG in the OHL. After Byfield though, I’m in the minority that would take Rossi over Stutzle. He’s smaller and not quite as explosive, but IMO has a decent edge in terms of hockey IQ, shooting and defensive play. I give him the edge over Stutzle (who I’d take 4th).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad