C/LW Zemgus Girgensons (2012, 14th overall, Buffalo)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Anyone see any Jamie Benn in him? Benn came in slightly older than ZG, but his 'beast mode' was really allowing him to take games over in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. They have a similar frame, by the sounds of it a similar work ethic and some high end skill. I've seen him only once maybe twice, and maybe with a better cast of talent around him the offense takes off... would it be somewhat inline as a comparison?

He doesn't have Benn's shot or hands. I've seen flashes of high-end skill out of Girgensons but he's fairly raw offensively as a guy who went pro straight out of the USHL. I wouldn't feel comfortable projecting him to be anything more than a 20 goal 50 pt type guy right now. He's my favorite Sabre already so I hope to see him fly past those totals, it's just difficult to project.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
He doesn't have Benn's shot or hands. I've seen flashes of high-end skill out of Girgensons but he's fairly raw offensively as a guy who went pro straight out of the USHL. I wouldn't feel comfortable projecting him to be anything more than a 20 goal 50 pt type guy right now. He's my favorite Sabre already so I hope to see him fly past those totals, it's just difficult to project.

Thanks... based on the comments here of late, he sounds like a fantastic guy to help build that young core up in Buffalo.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I still think at the very least a year of college would have done him good, even though he is physically mature, the year of college would have gave him the chance to try and develop the offensive side of his game a little more

Without being over the top ridiculous, I don't know if it's just the huge homer in me or the complete ineptitude of all Sabres offensively, but he's probably been our most consistent offensive threat, you can see the inexperience in some plays but wow he's been amazing being 2 years out of the USHL.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
but he's probably been our most consistent offensive threat

I like him too, but that's not correct. Hodgson/Moulson are putting up a bunch of points.

Still, I love his power moves to the net. That's going to be a very valuable skill in the future.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like him too, but that's not correct. Hodgson/Moulson are putting up a bunch of points.

Still, I love his power moves to the net. That's going to be a very valuable skill in the future.

At even strength he's been one of the most consistently productive players on the entire team. Hodgson's the team's most reliable point producer, though.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
I hope that Z will work on his offense in the off-season. With his work ethic, I know he will work, someone just needs to put his effort in the right direction.

Played beastly game against TOR. Sadly he is without a point in his last 6 games.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
A little confused about the accolades in this thread. Not to take away anything from a rookie who's clearly not on a powerhouse team... but he has 4 goals in 45 games and 1 total point in the last 9 games.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
A little confused about the accolades in this thread. Not to take away anything from a rookie who's clearly not on a powerhouse team... but he has 4 goals in 45 games and 1 total point in the last 9 games.

There's only three Sabres players that have more than 5 goals (and none that have over 10). The Sabres only score on average 1.8 goals per game. Buffalo just has a terrible offense.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
There's only three Sabres players that have more than 5 goals (and none that have over 10). The Sabres only score on average 1.8 goals per game. Buffalo just has a terrible offense.

Woah, I knew they were bad, but that's REAL bad. I wonder how Z would be performing on an average team...

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

It's a case of having to watch the player play. His offensive game is still a work in progress, but the kid is every coaches' dream.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
I hope that Z will work on his offense in the off-season. With his work ethic, I know he will work, someone just needs to put his effort in the right direction.

Played beastly game against TOR. Sadly he is without a point in his last 6 games.

You have been very unrealistic toward is potential. I love is game which is a typical power forward that showed extremely great hands but not a great skater. He surpass my expectation by putting up soo much points in is 2nd year as a pro. The kid as all the tools to become a force of nature which he should reach when he put all the effort needed.

At the moment he's a prospect that any team would love to have as a prospect. The kid was peg as a light jonathan toews from the start or at least by me. At the moment he's a defensive forward with offensive potential. At the end he should become a 60 pts a year. He should finish the year close to 45 pts which is extremely good for is 2nd year if you can call that since he's eligible for the calder this year.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
You have been very unrealistic toward is potential. I love is game which is a typical power forward that showed extremely great hands but not a great skater. He surpass my expectation by putting up soo much points in is 2nd year as a pro. The kid as all the tools to become a force of nature which he should reach when he put all the effort needed.

At the moment he's a prospect that any team would love to have as a prospect. The kid was peg as a light jonathan toews from the start or at least by me. At the moment he's a defensive forward with offensive potential. At the end he should become a 60 pts a year. He should finish the year close to 45 pts which is extremely good for is 2nd year if you can call that since he's eligible for the calder this year.
Are you talking about Zemgus Girgensons?

"putting up soo much points in is 2nd year as a pro."
He's not scoring very impressively on this historically poor scoring team.

"I love is game which is a typical power forward that showed extremely great hands but not a great skater"
Maybe it just stands out on our team, but his mobility looks very good.

"He should finish the year close to 45 pts which is extremely good for is 2nd year if you can call that since he's eligible for the calder this year."
For Zemgus to score 45 points he'll need to score 31 points in the next 37 games.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Are you talking about Zemgus Girgensons?

"putting up soo much points in is 2nd year as a pro."
He's not scoring very impressively on this historically poor scoring team.

"I love is game which is a typical power forward that showed extremely great hands but not a great skater"
Maybe it just stands out on our team, but his mobility looks very good.

"He should finish the year close to 45 pts which is extremely good for is 2nd year if you can call that since he's eligible for the calder this year."
For Zemgus to score 45 points he'll need to score 31 points in the next 37 games.

He's extremely fast, but he falls like 20 times a game.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's extremely fast, but he falls like 20 times a game.

He is definitely still a bit weak on his skates. I think some of that also just comes with the recklessness of his play style, but he's pretty darn fast. Really love his game and how he's developing.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Nice to see this thread. Zemgus was one of my fave prospects in his draft year, both as a player and as a person. I spoke to him over the phone early that season for about 30 min and it remains one of the best, if not the best interviews I have had with a draft prospect. I also chatted with him in Calgary at the World Jr. that year (which was hilarious because 95% of the media had left and he relaxed and joked around a bit) and I spoke to him late in the year at the combine and of course at the draft.

He still follows me on twitter (most players unfollow after the draft) I have not spoken to him since the draft but I plan to make a trip to watch him play at some point.

We ranked him 5th overall that year and took a some heat for it. I was checking links into our website today and someone visited from this old draft book thread. I started reading some feedback and saw I had written this in one reply...

"We rank the players as we see them. We don’t care who the media or anyone else loves or hates. I tell my guys to trust themselves. If Zemgus Girgensons turns out to be a bust, I promise to come back to these boards and state I was flat out wrong. ;-)"

I felt confident back then that I wouldn't need to come back here and post that I was wrong - I'm feeling even better about these days. :)

We have posted some "look backs" lately on our website. He is slated to appear soon.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Dying to see video or gif of a play late in the 3rd where Girgensons legs go out and he goes hard into the boards only to pop up immediately and almost score. Crazy stuff.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Dying to see video or gif of a play late in the 3rd where Girgensons legs go out and he goes hard into the boards only to pop up immediately and almost score. Crazy stuff.

When he crashed into the boards, I jumped hoping he wasn't injured.

And he just...popped up. I don't understand Zem haha

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Nice to see this thread. Zemgus was one of my fave prospects in his draft year, both as a player and as a person. I spoke to him over the phone early that season for about 30 min and it remains one of the best, if not the best interviews I have had with a draft prospect. I also chatted with him in Calgary at the World Jr. that year (which was hilarious because 95% of the media had left and he relaxed and joked around a bit) and I spoke to him late in the year at the combine and of course at the draft.

He still follows me on twitter (most players unfollow after the draft) I have not spoken to him since the draft but I plan to make a trip to watch him play at some point.

We ranked him 5th overall that year and took a some heat for it. I was checking links into our website today and someone visited from this old draft book thread. I started reading some feedback and saw I had written this in one reply...

"We rank the players as we see them. We don’t care who the media or anyone else loves or hates. I tell my guys to trust themselves. If Zemgus Girgensons turns out to be a bust, I promise to come back to these boards and state I was flat out wrong. ;-)"

I felt confident back then that I wouldn't need to come back here and post that I was wrong - I'm feeling even better about these days. :)

We have posted some "look backs" lately on our website. He is slated to appear soon.

Thanks for posting. He's exhibited a ton of energy own-end ability -- something he was billed for in his draft year -- but man, his offensive skill set is much more impressive than I could have envisioned.

There have been games this year in which he was the best player on the ice, bar-none.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He is definitely still a bit weak on his skates. I think some of that also just comes with the recklessness of his play style, but he's pretty darn fast. Really love his game and how he's developing.

This is true, I think in a few years more pro experience will wear that problem off

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Here is our look back at Girgensons including his profile from our 2012 NHL Draft Black Book.

Zemgus Girgensons was a popular player amongst our scouts back in his NHL draft year. Not only did he impress us with his game on the ice, but he also was one of the most impressive players we met and spoke to that season. Those factors led to us grading him out with a 5th overall ranking in our final 2012 NHL Draft Rankings.

Girgensons got off to a bit of a slow start in his AHL career last season, but once he started to acclimate himself to the league he began to flourish. He finished very strong and scored in all of his playoff games...

Read More

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad