C/LW William Eklund - San Jose Sharks, NHL (2021, 7th, SJS)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
B2B IT-Partner Årets Utropstecken 2020/2021 William Eklund

Awarded internally by Djurgården as their "Exlamation mark" this season.

An irrational player who drives by challenging the opposition and put them in one-on-one situations. A skilled skater who possesses great technique as well in passes as in goalscoring. A defensive well-schooled forward who is good at blocking shots. And most of all a hard working person who every day drives by developing, and shows his perseverance in his abition to get better.

Reactions: slumpy43

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
What? Nothing alike. Fabbri was much more of a shooter in his draft year.

Elias Lindholm is who I think he compares favorably with. Good puck protection skills, great playmaking abilities, decent shooting abilities.

He's like 3 inches shorter than Lindholm; I dont really see the comparison. Jaden Schwartz is the best comparable I can think of.
One of the points that may go under the radar when just looking at his stats is that he is one of the oldest elite prospects in the past couple of drafts (along with Kent Johnson).

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
William Eklund has spent the season with Djugardens in the SHL, and its been clear that the 18-year-old was ready to play in the country’s top men’s league on a full-time basis. Eklund put up 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points in 40 games this year. Djugardens is currently playing in the SHL Playoffs. Earlier this year, Eklund was expected to be a top-six centre for the Swedish World Junior Hockey Championship team. However, he missed the tournament after a positive COVID test.

In 2019-20 he started the year with five points in five games at the Under-18 Hlinka/Gretzky Cup, helping the Swedish team to a Bronze medal. He played 20 games in the SHL, putting up just two assists. Eklund was also held scoreless in two Champions Hockey League games. He looked more at home in the Under-20 league with 12 goals and 24 assists for 36 points in 31 games. He also made Swedish national teams at the under-17 and under-16 levels.

2021 NHL Draft #3: William Eklund Scouting Report

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
And not as a center. That's very disappointing to see.
Is it? How come? It'd be very surprising if they played him at C.

Anyway, Garpenlöv(Sweden's HC) when talking about why Eklund gets to debut says it's #1 because he's a good hockey player and deserves his spot, when they watched Djurgården they thought Eklund was one of their better players and thinks he has the majority of things, needs to improve on everything if he wants to be a prominent player in the NHL. Likes his deception and quickness, calls him very interesting.

Därför får William Eklund göra debut i Tre Kronor – laget mot Danmark

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Is it? How come? It'd be very surprising if they played him at C.

Anyway, Garpenlöv(Sweden's HC) when talking about why Eklund gets to debut says it's #1 because he's a good hockey player and deserves his spot, when they watched Djurgården they thought Eklund was one of their better players and thinks he has the majority of things, needs to improve on everything if he wants to be a prominent player in the NHL. Likes his deception and quickness, calls him very interesting.

Därför får William Eklund göra debut i Tre Kronor – laget mot Danmark

At the junior level he was expected to play center for Sweden at the WJC U20. I was hoping he would start to convert to center in the SHL next. I think Eklund is a tremendous talent and is one of my favorite players in the draft. I just wish he was a center instead of a winger.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
At the junior level he was expected to play center for Sweden at the WJC U20. I was hoping he would start to convert to center in the SHL next. I think Eklund is a tremendous talent and is one of my favorite players in the draft. I just wish he was a center instead of a winger.
You know this might sound weird, but, it's easier to see him make the jump back to C in the NHL/AHL than in the SHL, or Swedish NT.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You know this might sound weird, but, it's easier to see him make the jump back to C in the NHL/AHL than in the SHL, or Swedish NT.

I can believe that. The center position in Sweden is played differently than the center position in most NA systems. If this kid can make that switch full time to center and become the next Henrik Zetterberg then he's who I hope Detroit selects.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Made the roster for the Norway games, not too surprising as he, & Rasmussen were Sweden's best forwards against Denmark.

Only two influxes of players left now: SHL finals players, & NHL players.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad