C/LW Phillip Danault (2011, 26th, CHI; 2016 traded, MTL)

JanMunster

Feb 10, 2010
Just wondering what your opinion is on Philip Danault of the Victoria Tigres, and where he may be drafted?

He just earned MVP of the game in the QMJHL/RUS game so it made me curious...

He currently has 27 pts in 22 games (11 goals), and was apart of the U18 team.

Anyone who can provide any insight on this guy would be greatly appreciated

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
He might be a 9th rounder this year? Nothing special.

lol

good skater, work hard in all three zone, will finish his check, good defensive player and has really improved his offensive skill since last year. Had a heck of training camp with team canada U-18 , and had a nice tournament. Has been on fire this season with the Tigres, i think his offensive number are due to playing with the 2 overagers on his line (Devos and Goulet) but he's a legit prospect. top3 round imo, futur 3rd liner imo

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
i think his offensive number are due to playing with the 2 overagers on his line (Devos and Goulet) but he's a legit prospect. top3 round imo, futur 3rd liner imo

that and the style they play in Victoriaville. They're more of a, well, we'll deal with defense later, for now let's score some goals team. Last year Kevin Poulin made miracles for them. Victo relies quite heavily on its goalies to do the work on defense. So, ultimately, I think that will come to play against Danault comes draft time. Hope I'm wrong though.

... edit: ok I changed my mind lol!

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This kid was a 4th liner in his 1st year in Midget...up until about December/January....than took off and dominated the playoffs....he went 9th overall to Victo when no one really figured hed be a 1st rd pick and he wore the C as a 17 year old...

That right there is the definition of Progression.

The guy improves at a drastic pace...He would be a damn good pick in the 31-40 range.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
sounds like the type of guy Shero will take with Pens 2nd if he's still on the board.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
he's skinny as hell, but is a captain and the best defensive forward in the qmjhl... so he should be a lock for the 2nd round. I wouldn't mind picking him up with our 2nd if we pick a d-man and a 6'1+ forward with our 1sts.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Phillip Danault

Phillip Danault:

Victoriaville - QMJHL
Position: Left Wing
Born: 24. February 1993
Height: 6'00
Weight: 178 ibs

Size/Strength: Good
Skating: Very Good
Puck Skills: Good
Shot: Good
Offensive Play: Very Good
Defensive Play: Very Good
Physical Play: Very Good
Competitiveness: Excellent
Hockey Sense: Excellent

It is always fun to watch Danault; he is not the most skilled guy, but he has a great work ethic. Always consistant game in and game out during the playoff for the Tigers. Danault plays a very active game - he is always involved in the play, and he won't go many shifts without catching your eye in some positive manner. He plays and competes a lot bigger than his size while showing a very effective and consistent level of performance all season long. Impressed ISS scouts by taking on a leadership role with the young talented squad! His growth and maturity have certainly been impressive this season.

NHL potential: He has leadership traits that should translate very well at the next level.

Victoriaville: 64 GP, 23 G, 44 A, 67 Pts, 59 PIM.
(Playoff: 9 GP, 5 G, 10 A, 15 Pts).

He is considered as the best defensive forward in the QMJHL by some people.

Strenghts:
1. Character kid
2. Work ethic
3. Reliable defensively

Area's For Improvement:
1. Strength and mass
2. Shot

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdkblpc454

Info from ISS's draftguide

Article about Danault: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=553132

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Quote from the article linked to in the opening post:

"I'm a finisher … I finish everything, even my checks," Danault told NHL.com. "I bring energy and emotion to every shift and I can play both ends of the ice."

s04

Oct 24, 2009
Danault could be a sleeper in the draft....I think he is a lock to play in the NHL someday as a defensive and physical player, but he could also end up doing more. Here's what I wrote about him after seeing him play for two years:

"Phillip Danault isn’t the type of winger who will impress people with his raw skills, but will rather rely on speed and intense play to make people turn their heads. He loves to play a physical game as he finished first among rookies in the QMJHL for hits in 2009-2010 as a sixteen year old player. He also loves to cut to the net using his speed and his body to protect the puck. He is a good PK guy and reliable defensively as well.

Danault is a dedicated teammate who will do anything to win and protect his teammates. He was named captain of his team at only seventeen years old. The sure thing about Phillip Danault in my mind is he will make it to the NHL in a near future as a bottom six player because of a complete package that includes speed, grit, intensity and good defensive play.But the real question is whether or not his skills improved enough over the past two years to be worth taking in the first round.

His production more than doubled from his rookie season in 2010-2011 and from what I saw, he showed more hockey IQ and a better shot down the wing as well, creating more offensive opportunities than he used to. Another thing that might attract some teams is his ability to play two positions, as he switched from wing to center after the trade period last season, where he did an excellent job."

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Phillip Danault-

Drafted for his leadership/hard work and chippy play, Chicago traded Brouwer to move up they really liked this kids game. (26th)

While its early in 9 games he has 11 goals and 16 points- by comparison last season he had a total of 18. Yeah it's only juniors but still very promising he could be a two way solid player.

Danault-Bolland-Shaw
McNeil-Bolland-Danault

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I've seen him twice this season so far. Totally dominant. Very fast player, involved in all three zones, solid on his skates and great offensively. He will score a lot of points this season.

Shoe-in for team Canada.

Wouldn't be surprised if he made the Hawks' 4th line next year.

Fearless Leaf*

Love this player. Watched him at Canada - Russia tournament a while ago, and in my viewings, I thought he was one of the better stand-out players. Very dynamic skater, amazing work-ethic, and very strong defensively. the guy never takes a shift off.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
After this season I imagine him being in our top 3-prospects is a sure thing.

Saad
Teravainen
Danault
McNeil

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Thanks, who is he comparable to? What did you notice he did well?
I personally see a bit of Jason Pominville in him, but Danault is a much better skater which I think will help him at the NHL level.
Pominville has been able to compensate and has carved out a solid NHL career, but he was fairly expendable to the Sabres at one point as he hit waivers and was almost claimed by the Panthers.
Danault is also probably more intense on and off the ice, as he clearly plays with passion out there and is reportedly the same way off the ice.

I think he's going to be a really solid player and basically everything important about him has already been mentioned: great skater with the hockey sense and work ethic to match.
He's versatile and can play every forward position in every situation.
Should be a fan favorite in Chicago.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I see him becoming a Boyd Gordon-type. Solid scorer at lower levels, but more of a "responsible" bottom six guy in the NHL who can kill penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad