C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He didn't dominate offensively at the U18s or U20. I think he's got Dylan Larkin upside at best which is a 1st round pick, not sure about top 5. Aatu Raty looked to have a deadlier shot and more physicality to his game. Speed is one thing, being strong on the puck is a harder skill.
I like the Larkin comparaison. I think Beniers brings the puck a little more to the net, but they are both speedy center with similar build and upside.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ryan Kesler with less mean streak, better skating and better hands/creativity.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Cutting to the net against Latvia..?

Ranked 6 among NA Skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

I don't necessarily endorse the caption, just posting the highlight. Beniers scored in today's 4-2 win over Latvia.

And if we're going to belittle Latvia, we should point out the fact that they beat Canada just a few days ago.

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
really getting Toews vibe with this guy.

Safe pick to be a 2-3 C with a Home Run potential of being a 1C.

I think he is a gamer who wont necessarily be considered a superstar like a mcdavid or crosby or mackinnon but I think he is the type of supporting player that wins alot like a Bergeron or Toews.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love Beniers. He would be my 1 oa. He's got the wheels, he's got skill, he plays both ways, he plays C, and his intensity and smarts never slump. Oh, and he's got good size. I just don't see a weakness, though he might not be the transcendant type talent that you dream for in a #1oa. I'm not sure that this draft has that player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I love Beniers. He would be my 1 oa. He's got the wheels, he's got skill, he plays both ways, he plays C, and his intensity and smarts never slump. Oh, and he's got good size. I just don't see a weakness, though he might not be the transcendant type talent that you dream for in a #1oa. I'm not sure that this draft has that player.

That's how I look at him as well. I like Power for 1st overall and can see why the majority want him, but I also very strongly consider taking Beniers here. He may only become a 60 point 1C, but seems like the kind of 60 point 1C that wins Selkes and plays hero hockey in big games.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

That's how I look at him as well. I like Power for 1st overall and can see why the majority want him, but I also very strongly consider taking Beniers here. He may only become a 60 point 1C, but seems like the kind of 60 point 1C that wins Selkes and plays hero hockey in big games.
Is best-case-scenario-Bo-Horvat worthy of a first overall pick, is basically the question. I guess it depends on team need, but not to me. Just from his last two teams, I’d rather take Power and Hughes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Exactly. He always seems to show up, and unlike many prospects this year, played a full season in a difficult league for an 18 yo, and stood out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is best-case-scenario-Bo-Horvat worthy of a first overall pick, is basically the question. I guess it depends on team need, but not to me. Just from his last two teams, I’d rather take Power and Hughes.
Did you watch MI games?

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020

I would take Clarke over him, but I think best case Horvat is selling his potential short. I think that is a safer projection...but the potential is more than that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

A lot of people are starting to draw Toews comparisons for Beniers, not Horvat. The "worst" comparable I've heard is Kesler and 10 times out of 10 I take Kesler over Horvat. No disrespect to Horvat who was compared to Kesler in his draft year.

I think Beniers becomes better than both Horvat and Kesler over the long haul.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No live viewings this year, you have me.
Cause I tuned in early on as we on the Wild board were all hot and bothered to see Johnson, and curious about Powers. I still like Johnson, and love his hands, but the guy that stuck out to me amongst all of the talent on that team (the above mentioned plus York, Bordeleau, Brisson, Big Center dude, Pastujov, etc.) was Beniers. He has the tools, but also an elite checker's mentality where he has to hound the puck carrier and come away with the puck no matter what. I loved it. I probably saw 5-6 more games in their entirety, and I never came away disappointed with his game, whereas Powers was very hit and miss, and Johnson...well, he is very talented, but nowhere near the two way player, or nearly as strong on the ice, or as good of a skater.
When I saw him as a young player at the WJC's- same thing. He can and does score, but more importantly, affects the game when he doesn't score. Because he was used to playing guys much older than him in the NCAA, he wasn't fazed by there.

Oh, and I didn't get to watch him in the stands, just on TV, but who did?

Reactions: Dominance

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
A lot of people are starting to draw Toews comparisons for Beniers, not Horvat. The "worst" comparable I've heard is Kesler and 10 times out of 10 I take Kesler over Horvat. No disrespect to Horvat who was compared to Kesler in his draft year.

Kesler was the best #2C in the world for a while there. Injuries did him in from having a really great career, but he still had a really good one. I think Beniers will be a better skater than Horvat or Kesler. Especially now, in a league with far less obstruction and far less hitting, speed is what it's all about. Throw in some skill, size, and hockey sense, and you've got something.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Kesler was a 40ish goal 75 point Selke winning centre in his prime. I doubt Beniets becomes better than that.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Cause I tuned in early on as we on the Wild board were all hot and bothered to see Johnson, and curious about Powers. I still like Johnson, and love his hands, but the guy that stuck out to me amongst all of the talent on that team (the above mentioned plus York, Bordeleau, Brisson, Big Center dude, Pastujov, etc.) was Beniers. He has the tools, but also an elite checker's mentality where he has to hound the puck carrier and come away with the puck no matter what. I loved it. I probably saw 5-6 more games in their entirety, and I never came away disappointed with his game, whereas Powers was very hit and miss, and Johnson...well, he is very talented, but nowhere near the two way player, or nearly as strong on the ice, or as good of a skater.
When I saw him as a young player at the WJC's- same thing. He can and does score, but more importantly, affects the game when he doesn't score. Because he was used to playing guys much older than him in the NCAA, he wasn't fazed by there.

Oh, and I didn't get to watch him in the stands, just on TV, but who did?
Yeah, Beniers definitely and rightfully goes ahead of Johnson this year by a little bit.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I don't see it. Beniers is never taking over shifts other than just bullying his way through but that is nearly impossible to sustain. Their offensive creativity is pretty similar to Kesler I think, but Kes went through too many painkillers to sustain his style of play (which was more aggressive, yes). But I just am not convinced that Beniers will be better.

But not like Kesler was bad lol. Kes was amazing, but he was just not the #1C, he did not drive offense. He created chaos.
If that makes any sense, sorry I'm on beer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad