C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Johnson is a Nylander
Beniers is a Horvat

both will be effective in their own right and I do think they will at least full fill what they were labeled as going forward.

Berniers is going to be better then horvat imo. Horvat is a very good player, but i think berniers can play a similar defensive game but put even more points.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Nylander moves his feet.... Johnson does not... not a good comparison, Nylanders game is from his crossovers while stick handling. It's actually not a good comparison at all.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He didn't dominate offensively at the U18s or U20. I think he's got Dylan Larkin upside at best which is a 1st round pick, not sure about top 5. Aatu Raty looked to have a deadlier shot and more physicality to his game. Speed is one thing, being strong on the puck is a harder skill.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
2 cents:

People vastly overrate the value of production over a 6 or 7 game sample size with new coaches and line mates at the WJC. Elias Pettersson had one point in 6 games.

Their production with their normal team is a significantly better indicator. Being a PPG player in college at 18 is very good.

Last edited:

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I feel like, due to the nature of this draft lacking a consensus superstar #1 overall pick, Beniers is getting a bit overanalyzed here.

I think he should be a surefire top 3 pick because his game is so much built on anticipation and compete in all 3 zones in addition to his high end skating, shot, and skill. I'm not sure how you don't drool over a potential all-situations #1C Selke contender.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I feel like, due to the nature of this draft lacking a consensus superstar #1 overall pick, Beniers is getting a bit overanalyzed here.

I think he should be a surefire top 3 pick because his game is so much built on anticipation and compete in all 3 zones in addition to his high end skating, shot, and skill. I'm not sure how you don't drool over a potential all-situations #1C Selke contender.
I don't know about #1 C Selke contender. You need an elite stick to win Selkes like Stone, Marner and O'Reilly. They don't have skating issues and Beniers' skating is excellent but it takes more than just high end skating.

Beniers could be the best forward in this draft, he's competing against Guenther, Eklund, Johnson, and McTavish. I can see why scouts are comfortable with Beniers but the others have unique skills rather than simply skating. A lot of people say Johnson is the one with best hands and silkyness.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know about #1 C Selke contender. You need an elite stick to win Selkes like Stone, Marner and O'Reilly. They don't have skating issues and Beniers' skating is excellent but it takes more than just high end skating.

Beniers could be the best forward in this draft, he's competing against Guenther, Eklund, Johnson, and McTavish. I can see why scouts are comfortable with Beniers but the others have unique skills rather than simply skating. A lot of people say Johnson is the one with best hands and silkyness.

I think Beniers defense is very overrated. He has great effort and skating. I don’t see a great stick or hockey sense.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I think Beniers defense is very overrated. He has great effort and skating. I don’t see a great stick or hockey sense.

I'm in same boat as you. I don't think he is going to translate very well to NHL. He plays a very small game IMO. His skating style makes him very small on ice.

As a top pick, he is going to be expected to put in minimum 50 points, and I don't see how is he is going to do that in NHL. He reminds me of a 4th line center.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I think he's a safe bet to be a solid all-around 2nd line center, maybe not elite defensively but solid. I do think he has similarities to Larkin at the same age. Is it the type of player you want with a first overall pick ? Not really. From 3 to 5, I think it's a fine pick.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I'm in same boat as you. I don't think he is going to translate very well to NHL. He plays a very small game IMO. His skating style makes him very small on ice.

As a top pick, he is going to be expected to put in minimum 50 points, and I don't see how is he is going to do that in NHL. He reminds me of a 4th line center.
Awful take.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Honestly, 4th line center seems a little too unlikely for me. With how small he plays and without him having a good defensive game I just don't see a coach playing him in that type of role.

Maybe he will become a good college player one day but that even seems unlikely.

As a Sabres fan, I might take him with our 7th round pick but it would be pretty ridiculous for a team to draft him before that.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, 4th line center seems a little too unlikely for me. With how small he plays and without him having a good defensive game I just don't see a coach playing him in that type of role.

Maybe he will become a good college player one day but that even seems unlikely.

As a Sabres fan, I might take him with our 7th round pick but it would be pretty ridiculous for a team to draft him before that.
No, let him go to Europe and earn it for 5 years. After 3 or 4 Spengler Cups we can take a flyer on him as a training camp invite.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Heh?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Teams who pass on this kid will regret it. He's going to be an all-situations top 6 player. If he scores 70 points at his peak instead of 80, I really don't care. He's the type of player teams win with.

70 is probably optimistic, even as a peak.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
70 is probably optimistic, even as a peak.

Maybe, but even 60 is a very good player when you consider his total game. I think he is going to surprise people by how much he scores though. Puck skills are overrated in terms of offensive production.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
A 4th line player ? Cant believe he got 24 points in 24 games as an 18 year old

Looks like will see you in the 7th round
AliveMinorArrowworm-size_restricted.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad