C/LW Matthew Beniers - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021, 2nd, SEA)

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
I think you are spot on. Berniers is equivalent to Bergeron for me. Fantastic 200 foot player who can be on PP or PK. Does it all. He is missing the finishing skill set that a #1 overall pick usually has thus I think he goes in the 5 range. He just doesn't put the puck in the net enough.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Matt Hunwick gave some insight into the freshman on the squad

Said the conversation does shift to Beniers a lot when talking about the 3 freshman
Compares it 2006 when Toews was drafted saying you have more talented offensive forces in Kessel, but teams loved his leadership, motor and all around ability that he is a safe pick and thats why he was chosen so high.

He plays a checking game closer to O'rielly or Barkov, not bergeron. He's really disciplined hence the no penalties on the season.

very confident he is going to be chosen really high

2 primaries tonight, I thought the first one was more impressive.

Reactions: Martinez

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am not convinced he is the best player in the draft, but he might be the best forward. The amount of talented Dmen is staggering.

Reactions: lawrence

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I really like Beniers, but he's a guy that I would be happy getting outside the top 10 in the draft. He looks great with the puck on his stick and has fantastic intensity, but his vision and finishing do not appear to be top line quality. I don't see Bergeron or O'Reilly, more Mike Fisher.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I really like Beniers, but he's a guy that I would be happy getting outside the top 10 in the draft. He looks great with the puck on his stick and has fantastic intensity, but his vision and finishing do not appear to be top line quality. I don't see Bergeron or O'Reilly, more Mike Fisher.

Fat chance, would be very surprised if he falls out of the top 5.

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
This draft is lacking the superstar at the top....or even a few superstars thus why there are several guys that could go in the top 5 depending on a teams need. If you need a defenseman there are a half a dozen that could go top 3 and there is a lack of scorers this draft so they might be the hot commodity. Beniers is a play maker and not a scorer and those rarely go #1 overall.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So good, wins 3 puck battles in one shift, skates end to end probably gassed but fights through it and score a beauty.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
This guy plays the game right, so much fun to watch and such a useful player

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Love Beniers game. He does need to shoot the puck more in my opinion. 200 ft player you can use in all circumstances. In this draft year with no clear cut superstar he is going to be a safe pick.

Reactions: 57special

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Nice primary assist on this Summers one-timer

Had 4 points last night, including an empty net goal. Highlights here.

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Next Buffalo Sabre? :cool:

If the Sabres have to move Eichel than I could for sure see Cozens and Beniers down the middle for them. It's just tough- if the Sabres couldn't put a winning team around O'Reilly and Eichel, I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in them putting a winning team around Cozens and Beniers.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
If the Sabres have to move Eichel than I could for sure see Cozens and Beniers down the middle for them. It's just tough- if the Sabres couldn't put a winning team around O'Reilly and Eichel, I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in them putting a winning team around Cozens and Beniers.

If that happened maybe the pieces we get for him could net us a legit G and more than 2 nhl level defensemen :laugh:

Love this kid though.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

To me, looks very reminiscent of Michael Peca. A 20/30 type who leads and has great attention to detail.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I want him on the Ducks to play with Zegras so bad.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
He is so much more skilled than Peca.

Peca was more about physicality (despite being small), speed and force of will than skill.

I agree that he's got way better puck control than Peca. It's not a perfect comparison, but he sort of reminds me of Plakanec

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00