C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Both teams will almost certainly have assigned their other European scouts to assess Lias.

On the whole I'm split on whether the familiar connection makes those teams more or less likely to draft Lias and I'm not sure if Lias would even want to be drafted by them. The main reason why he went to HV71 was that he wanted to break through and be judged on his own merits and not just be Niklas' son and Mikael's nephew like he would have been at Frölunda.
Oh, they absolutely will have guys cross-checking him, it's just having only one regional guy means that they probably have to use them to scout him somewhat. He's also been at major events, which means NA scouts have absolutely cross checked him. My guess is they listen to what the Andersson's say, but will disregard it if it is completely out of whack. Probably take them out of the room if they are having discussions about his personality make-up and if they interview him at the combine.

In the end, I don't think it makes much of a difference, if anything, I'd side with less likely. I know with lower-end prospects some scouts tell their teams to straight up take their kids off the boards. I don't think that is an option high-up in the draft though, you can't just ignore a first round prospect because of who you employ.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I love this kid, this draft may be weak at the top but getting Lias Andersson in the middle of the 1st round is fantastic value. He's AHL, if not NHL ready this upcoming season.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
According to HV71 journalists, no scout has been there more this season than Niklas Andersson aka Lias' dad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I love this kid, this draft may be weak at the top but getting Lias Andersson in the middle of the 1st round is fantastic value. He's AHL, if not NHL ready this upcoming season.
One of the players I'm hoping for at 17 who could realistically be there.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't see how a guy that's .5 PPG in the SEL in his draft year can go 16ish.

If he does this draft is clearly more talented then it gets credit for.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Underrated player, he should be top 15, if not top 10. Great shot, Tolvanen-like release.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I've been hoping he would fall to the CBJ but I recently saw he isn't really offensively inclined. Anyone have a idea on expected output if you had to guess after some development.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

It doesn't take much for a guy to fall. All it takes is him not being the top option for any of the teams picking in the top15. If there's one guy I could see falling, seemingly without any real reason, it's this guy. Travis Konecny was ranked in the top15 by every list (except HockeyProspect who had him #19) but fell all the way to #24. I could see the same happening to Andersson, with teams just preferring someone else over him. I personally think he should be picked in the top10 or at least top12 though, but I also thought Kyle Connor and Mathew Barzal were slam dunk top10 picks two years ago. Point is, you never know what's gonna happen on draft day, and that's especially true this year. One team could have a guy ranked in the 2nd round, while another feels he's a top10 pick etc. That's how up in the air this draft is.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

He probably should be rated higher on consensus, but he is a late birthday, so you have to factor that in somewhat.

If he were a true 17 year old putting up those numbers, it would be otherworldly.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

beacuse he dont have top end skills. in nhl he will put up the same numbers as marcus johansson/söderberg etc, 40-50 points while bringing 2-way play.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
beacuse he dont have top end skills. in nhl he will put up the same numbers as marcus johansson/söderberg etc, 40-50 points while bringing 2-way play.

Are you related to Nostradamus? Anderssen has put up big numbers at every level so far including juniors and the SHL with consistent progression every season going from 9 points in 25 games in junior to 59 points in 37 games the following year. He's poised to dominate the SHL next season so unless his development is suddenly suspended for some unknown reason he's going to continue improving. Quite frankly he's much more of a sure thing than guys like Petterssen or Necas who for some reasons scouts seem to like better just because they're 3 inches taller.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Are you related to Nostradamus? Anderssen has put up big numbers at every level so far including juniors and the SHL with consistent progression every season going from 9 points in 25 games in junior to 59 points in 37 games the following year. He's poised to dominate the SHL next season so unless his development is suddenly suspended for some unknown reason he's going to continue improving. Quite frankly he's much more of a sure thing than guys like Petterssen or Necas who for some reasons scouts seem to like better just because they're 3 inches taller.

Andersson is years ahead of those two when it comes to physical maturity. At 165 lbs he'd be far from even playing an SHL game.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
Andersson is years ahead of those two when it comes to physical maturity. At 165 lbs he'd be far from even playing an SHL game.
Exactly, don't think he has the talent to match his work ethic.
Incredibly safe pick but i question his upside. Think he'll round out as a Mikael Backlund, which isn't bad. But not top 10 worthy.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

How is that a bad thing? :laugh: some guys are just stronger and have more athletic bodies.

Like others have said, he's produced at an elite level his whole life. Why would we expect him to stop?

It's like the Monahan syndrome. Had success in pro early so he doesn't have perceived potential of some guy that lights up Juniour... when in reality he does (Monahan will blow up in a year or two even though the prevailing idea is that he peaked at 20, when in reality he improves every year)

Another example of perceived potential overwaying facts and production. (That said I'm high on Necas and Pettersen)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
How is that a bad thing? :laugh: some guys are just stronger and have more athletic bodies.

Like others have said, he's produced at an elite level his whole life. Why would we expect him to stop?

It's like the Monahan syndrome. Had success in pro early so he doesn't have perceived potential of some guy that lights up Juniour... when in reality he does (Monahan will blow up in a year or two even though the prevailing idea is that he peaked at 20, when in reality he improves every year)

Another example of perceived potential overwaying facts and production. (That said I'm high on Necas and Pettersen)

When did I say it was a bad thing? And what does having an athletic body have to do with anything I said?

Being physically mature is a huge advantage at this age, later on it evens out. Pettersson and Necas are not even remotely close to their physical peak, neither is Andersson but he's a lot closer. I don't see anything in Andersson's game that really stands out, I see that in Necas and Pettersson.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

When did I say it was a bad thing? And what does having an athletic body have to do with anything I said?

Being physically mature is a huge advantage at this age, later on it evens out. Pettersson and Necas are not even remotely close to their physical peak, neither is Andersson but he's a lot closer. Apart from his strength on the puck I don't see anything in Andersson's game that really stands out, I see that in Necas and Pettersson. If Andersson doesn't stand out much from a skill standpoint against his peers, chances are he won't stand out much in the NHL either.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Being physically mature is a huge advantage at this age, later on it evens out. Pettersson and Necas are not even remotely close to their physical peak, neither is Andersson but he's a lot closer. Apart from his strength on the puck I don't see anything in Andersson's game that really stands out, I see that in Necas and Pettersson. If Andersson doesn't stand out much from a skill standpoint against his peers, chances are he won't stand out much in the NHL either.

There's no guarantee that Petterssen or Necas will be able to gain the required muscle to compete at an NHL level.

Look at how 165 lb. Mitch Marner got pushed around in the playoffs.

That won't happen with L. Andersson. Don't underestimate the value of his strength on the puck or shooting ability.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Alex Steen had similar stats in the SHL around the same age and was/is a two way player with intangibles. Why people don't see Andersson having similar upside?

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Alex Steen had similar stats in the SHL around the same age and was/is a two way player with intangibles. Why people don't see Andersson having similar upside?

The guy has plateaued already. 3rd liner on a nhl team.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
The guy has plateaued already. 3rd liner on a nhl team.

This is an odd post. Steen is a 55-60 point player who plays 17+ minutes a night and has an excellent two-way game. He usually plays on the second line, but goes up and down the lineup from game to game. The only reason he's ever on the 3rd line is because of the Blues depth at LW. He's no more a 3rd liner than Malkin is a 2nd liner. And of course he has plateaued - he's 33 years old :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad