C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Obviously this depends heavily on who drafts him,
But what are the odds he ever plays for the Kitchener Rangers who took him last year in the Import Draft?

He's playing in the SHL, he'd have to be an idiot.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Where's the chatter on this guy ? He seems to have pretty good stats in the SHL for an 18 yo

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Where's the chatter on this guy ? He seems to have pretty good stats in the SHL for an 18 yo

He has been really good in the last few months.

Well rounded, great shot, good passer, feisty, solid defense.

But what I like most about him is how often he finds spaces in coverage. He gets free near the net and in the slot so often.

He is also a pretty good face-off man for a guy his age.

I like him... not as much as Petersson but I think he should be a definite consideration for teams sitting ~#8 onwards.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Should be a top10 pick. Kid is good. His game will translate well to the NHL.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Doesn't seem to have any hole in his game. I think he is a farely low risk guy who still has a high ceiling.

Very high value pick imo

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Doesn't seem to have any hole in his game. I think he is a farely low risk guy who still has a high ceiling.

Very high value pick imo

I think his skating could be improved, it's about average by NHL standards. Andersson reminds me a lot about Alexander Steen.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
As a Kitchener Rangers fan, the fact he won't ever report here is a major bummer.
But, he seems like a great prospect to watch going forward!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Does he project more as a centre or a winger in the NHL?

Personally I think his game is perfectly suited at C. If he is going to have the most impact possible I think it'd be wise to utilize him there, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are others out there who have seen him more than I have.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He has been really good in the last few months.

Well rounded, great shot, good passer, feisty, solid defense.

But what I like most about him is how often he finds spaces in coverage. He gets free near the net and in the slot so often.

He is also a pretty good face-off man for a guy his age.

I like him... not as much as Petersson but I think he should be a definite consideration for teams sitting ~#8 onwards.

Yeah. He seems to have really nice anticipation and feel for slipping into those openings at just the right moments. Seems very comfortable in traffic areas. Very easy to see his game translating well to the NHL/small ice.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I'm surprised he's not getting more hype tbh, I understand there has been more talk about Liljegren and the flashier Pettersson, but Lias Andersson seems like a very solid player and just as deserving as the other two imo.

He's not flashy, but he has elite IQ, terrific puck control , plays a very complete game, and has an amazing shot. He's also producing at the highest league in Sweden. I could completely see the Wings drooling over this kid.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Hoping the flyers take him. After learning and watching him. Could be great 1&2 punch with Rubstov

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
I'm surprised he's not getting more hype tbh, I understand there has been more talk about Liljegren and the flashier Pettersson, but Lias Andersson seems like a very solid player and just as deserving as the other two imo.

He's not flashy, but he has elite IQ, terrific puck control , plays a very complete game, and has an amazing shot. He's also producing at the highest league in Sweden. I could completely see the Wings drooling over this kid.

Likely because of people like me who doubt him. I think he's a lot closer to his ceiling than most players are. He's the perfect example of a guy working hard to beating talent which raises the question, how close is he to his ceiling?
I think he's one of the safest picks in the draft but still risky since you can question his upside. But the character and work ethic is really there. Lazy comparison but i think he'll end up as a Mikael Backlund type of player IMO.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but his dad Niklas is a scout for Los Angeles, and his uncle Mikael is a scout for Tampa Bay.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but his dad Niklas is a scout for Los Angeles, and his uncle Mikael is a scout for Tampa Bay.

Scouts that are personally connected to a player are usually asked to leave the room when that player is discussed before the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Scouts that are personally connected to a player are usually asked to leave the room when that player is discussed before the draft.
In this case, it might be difficult. Most teams rarely have more than one or two guys based in Sweden. Just looking at Tampa, Mikael Andersson is there only Swedish scout with Routa (Czech) and Kettunen (Finnish) being their only other Euro's. Obviously, head scouts fly over and they have cross-checking, but with Andersson being their only Swedish guy it presents some problems.

LA has a similar situation, but have Ruutu as the head of European scouting, so you would think he is covering a lot of ground, but Andersson again is there only primary guy in Sweden.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
In this case, it might be difficult. Most teams rarely have more than one or two guys based in Sweden. Just looking at Tampa, Mikael Andersson is there only Swedish scout with Routa (Czech) and Kettunen (Finnish) being their only other Euro's. Obviously, head scouts fly over and they have cross-checking, but with Andersson being their only Swedish guy it presents some problems.

LA has a similar situation, but have Ruutu as the head of European scouting, so you would think he is covering a lot of ground, but Andersson again is there only primary guy in Sweden.

Both teams will almost certainly have assigned their other European scouts to assess Lias.

On the whole I'm split on whether the familiar connection makes those teams more or less likely to draft Lias and I'm not sure if Lias would even want to be drafted by them. The main reason why he went to HV71 was that he wanted to break through and be judged on his own merits and not just be Niklas' son and Mikael's nephew like he would have been at Frölunda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad