C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
As a Hawks fan, Dach wasn't a disappointment to me.

Maybe to a Rangers fan who has only watched him a couple of times, sure.

But to a guy who watched every single game he played this season and continually hoped he'd show me something worse getting excited over for the future, I'm more than content with his level of play.

And while points have been brought up a lot here today, shoutout to his defense. I love Toews' two-way game, but Dach actually has me thinking he could potentially become a better player defensively. Last Hawk to win as many board battles and continually use his body to shield the puck like Dach, was Marian 'Demi-God' Hossa. Oh, and Dach is 19, so skies the limit there.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dach keeps company in that regard with Puljujarvi, Hughes and Kakko. Thats not good company. A guy most consider a bust, and the other two players from the past draft that probably had even weaker seasons. Why has every other forward who played substantial games in their D+1 season that didn't turn into a likely bust produced offense at what is a pretty low bar? And I'm not saying that means Dach is a bust, but its to say its a very low bar. It's not asking much of a guy picked 3OA, even if he wasn't NHL ready. Most still say Kotkaniemi wasn't NHL ready, and he cleared it as a 3OA. Galchenyuk was sent back to junior hockey as a 3OA with much better statistical production as a 3OA.

Dach is nothing like JP. Dach is a good two way player already. Such a bad comparison as it is like you never watched him play.

I still don't get why you just keep focusing on points because there is so much more to the game than that. Even if you do look at just numbers you need to also look at usage and minutes played. The Hawks eased Dach into the NHL and he received far less time than other especially PP time. When they increased role and PP time his production trended up...shocking.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Dach is nothing like JP. Dach is a good two way player already. Such a bad comparison as it is like you never watched him play.

I still don't get why you just keep focusing on points because there is so much more to the game than that. Even if you do look at just numbers you need to also look at usage and minutes played. The Hawks eased Dach into the NHL and he received far less time than other especially PP time. When they increased role and PP time his production trended up...shocking.

Dach also missed training camp.
I feel like the people who are only looking at the points weren't paying attention.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Try responding to what I actually said. I didn't compare Puljujarvi and Dach. I said they share statistical company. You and I are two of 330M+ Americans. Am I comparing myself to you?

Because points matter. If a top 3 pick forward can't reach such a low bar like I mentioned, I think its hard to paint the season as anything other than a disappointment. You and I both know you'd be arguing the same thing if this was a different player from a different team in a different season. There wouldn't be the need to waste anyone's time with that type of argument because you probably actually disagree with very little or nothing of what I said. I come at this from the perspective of a fan of Dach, so most opinion of the player is a positive one. I won't however call a bad season a good season.

And you are actually wrong, Dach had 10 points in his first 17 games. He didn't once hit his season average for TOI in any of those games. He was playing 11:25 per game with only :34 of PP time per game. In the last 47 games of the season, he had 13 points. He was playing 14:30 per game with 1:44 of PP time per game. More minutes, better situations with better players, and he scored less. It doesn't matter that much because puck luck is random, and evens out. However, what you said is not true.

Reactions: Mac Attack

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I see a bit of a similarity between Svechnikov and Dach in their draft years. Dach was on pace for 30 points, Svech 37. They both weren't given a lot of TOI and played with poor linemates, but they had good underlying stats and were good defensively.

I can definitely see Dach breaking out next year ala Svechnikov.
I am in full agreement. I expect it actually..

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Try responding to what I actually said. I didn't compare Puljujarvi and Dach. I said they share statistical company. You and I are two of 330M+ Americans. Am I comparing myself to you?

I did. Try not running from your comments. You said "Dach keeps company in that regard with Puljujarvi", this is you comparing them. Anyone who watched Dach and JP know they are nothing alike and not comparable as players. The last sentence is you running from your comment further.

If you want a logical comparison look at Andrei Svechnikov. Both are really good two-way players and their production was similar along with their attention to playing all 200ft.

Because points matter. If a top 3 pick forward can't reach such a low bar like I mentioned, I think its hard to paint the season as anything other than a disappointment. You and I both know you'd be arguing the same thing if this was a different player from a different team in a different season. There wouldn't be the need to waste anyone's time with that type of argument because you probably actually disagree with very little or nothing of what I said. I come at this from the perspective of a fan of Dach, so most opinion of the player is a positive one. I won't however call a bad season a good season.

And you are actually wrong, Dach had 10 points in his first 17 games. He didn't once hit his season average for TOI in any of those games. He was playing 11:25 per game with only :34 of PP time per game. In the last 47 games of the season, he had 13 points. He was playing 14:30 per game with 1:44 of PP time per game. More minutes, better situations with better players, and he scored less. It doesn't matter that much because puck luck is random, and evens out. However, what you said is not true.

Points do matter but preventing them matters just as much and I would argue it is more important. You cannot lose if you don't let the other team score. Dach is a really good responsible defensive player and this part of the game. He was drafted as a two-way center who can play in all situations. Hughes was drafted as a dynamic scoring, game breaking center. Kakko was drafted a skilled winger who should be ready to play in the NHL day 1. Dach scored just as well both but was a good two-way player. Kakko and Hughes were not very good in their own end. The points will come and this is obvious to anyone who watched him.

Splitting 17 and 47 games...lol cherry pick much?

Again you are showing that you just look at numbers. I am talking about the impact he had playing in the top 6 compared to the impact he had early in the season as the Hawks eased him in. Playing in the top 6 is much different that playing in the bottom 6. Dach played up in the lineup later in the season. If you actually watched him you would know that he was dynamic player who made a large impact when he was on the ice the second half of the season. THe development in his game was obvious. Scoring at a 30 point pace and playing a really good two-way game as an 18 year old in the NHL is not disappointing or hitting a low bar at all if you look at things other than points.

No I don't agree with you.

I judge every prospect individually. There is not a set standard you should judge every draft pick by.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I did. Try not running from your comments. You said "Dach keeps company in that regard with Puljujarvi", this is you comparing them. Anyone who watched Dach and JP know they are nothing alike and not comparable as players. The last sentence is you running from your comment further.

If you want a logical comparison look at Andrei Svechnikov. Both are really good two-way players and their production was similar along with their attention to playing all 200ft.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. You were told what I meant. I don't need two paragraphs on why you know better than me what I meant.

Points do matter but preventing them matters just as much and I would argue it is more important. You cannot lose if you don't let the other team score. Dach is a really good responsible defensive player and this part of the game. He was drafted as a two-way center who can play in all situations. Hughes was drafted as a dynamic scoring, game breaking center. Kakko was drafted a skilled winger who should be ready to play in the NHL day 1. Dach scored just as well both but was a good two-way player. Kakko and Hughes were not very good in their own end. The points will come and this is obvious to anyone who watched him.

I don't think you knew that much about Dach's game pre-draft if you think he was drafted as a two-way center. That was actually considered by some to be one of the biggest question marks in his game. He was big and most knew he had potential in that regard, but his effort and consistency was something that was questioned. To act like he was drafted to come in and be a shutdown center is dishonest or misinformed. All three top picks were drafted because their teams think they are going to be elite scorers. Thats why teams draft players that high in the draft. It's the same thing every year. Other parts of the game factor in, but the main expectation is always the scoring.

Splitting 17 and 47 games...lol cherry pick much?

If you don't like the range, why don't you cherry pick a range that back up what you stated? I doubt you will because they aren't favorable towards what you claimed.

This is not an indictment on the player, this is an indictment on your claim, which just wasn't true. As I said, it doesn't matter that much. Puck luck in the NHL is random, and players often play better in scoring droughts than scoring streaks, but that doesn't mean we should throw things out there that pretty clearly are not true. Don't try to misinform people about what the stats say.

Again you are showing that you just look at numbers. I am talking about the impact he had playing in the top 6 compared to the impact he had early in the season as the Hawks eased him in. Playing in the top 6 is much different that playing in the bottom 6. Dach played up in the lineup later in the season. If you actually watched him you would know that he was dynamic player who made a large impact when he was on the ice the second half of the season. THe development in his game was obvious. Scoring at a 30 point pace and playing a really good two-way game as an 18 year old in the NHL is not disappointing or hitting a low bar at all if you look at things other than points.

Thats a great narrative you've spun there, but it's not true. And even if I had never watched Dach play once, it wouldn't make any difference because you aren't hurting the argument to try to come after me. I'm allowed to use a very basic and common measure of performance, if I watch every game or if I watch no games.

Besides, I probably saw Dach play hockey before you had heard of who he was. Believe me, you wouldn't be in this thread making this ridiculous argument if your team didn't draft the player. You wouldn't care, but I would because I have interest in prospects, and how these players develop. But I guess this is where you and I depart in how we analyze things here. I don't also need to flack for my team's prospect to do the PR department a favor. I can still be a fan of Dach's game and also admit that maybe the player didn't have a good season in the best league in the world at age 18. If you say that, you don't then have to say the player is trending towards being a bust if the player didn't have a good season. There's context that you can use to explain why the player might've had a bad season, but that doesn't make a bad season a good season.

If you want to make the same point about Kakko that I'm making about Dach to feel better about yourself, go ahead and do so. I'll be right there agreeing with you because no one should be looking at this based on team affiliation. And I'm sure if I asked you about Kakko's season, you'd say he had a bad season, despite substantially similar scoring numbers to Dach.

Reactions: Dominance

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. You were told what I meant. I don't need two paragraphs on why you know better than me what I meant.

I don't think you knew that much about Dach's game pre-draft if you think he was drafted as a two-way center. That was actually considered by some to be one of the biggest question marks in his game. He was big and most knew he had potential in that regard, but his effort and consistency was something that was questioned. To act like he was drafted to come in and be a shutdown center is dishonest or misinformed. All three top picks were drafted because their teams think they are going to be elite scorers. Thats why teams draft players that high in the draft. It's the same thing every year. Other parts of the game factor in, but the main expectation is always the scoring.

If you don't like the range, why don't you cherry pick a range that back up what you stated? I doubt you will because they aren't favorable towards what you claimed.

This is not an indictment on the player, this is an indictment on your claim, which just wasn't true. As I said, it doesn't matter that much. Puck luck in the NHL is random, and players often play better in scoring droughts than scoring streaks, but that doesn't mean we should throw things out there that pretty clearly are not true. Don't try to misinform people about what the stats say.

Thats a great narrative you've spun there, but it's not true. And even if I had never watched Dach play once, it wouldn't make any difference because you aren't hurting the argument to try to come after me. I'm allowed to use a very basic and common measure of performance, if I watch every game or if I watch no games.

Besides, I probably saw Dach play hockey before you had heard of who he was. Believe me, you wouldn't be in this thread making this ridiculous argument if your team didn't draft the player. You wouldn't care, but I would because I have interest in prospects, and how these players develop. But I guess this is where you and I depart in how we analyze things here. I don't also need to flack for my team's prospect to do the PR department a favor. I can still be a fan of Dach's game and also admit that maybe the player didn't have a good season in the best league in the world at age 18. If you say that, you don't then have to say the player is trending towards being a bust if the player didn't have a good season. There's context that you can use to explain why the player might've had a bad season, but that doesn't make a bad season a good season.

If you want to make the same point about Kakko that I'm making about Dach to feel better about yourself, go ahead and do so. I'll be right there agreeing with you because no one should be looking at this based on team affiliation. And I'm sure if I asked you about Kakko's season, you'd say he had a bad season, despite substantially similar scoring numbers to Dach.

This whole post is laughable. You put your own words in your mouth and are continuing to try and back track while trying to play victim. This is your MO as poster from when I have seen here.

The best part of this whole post is you questioning me know who prospects are and thinking that I am defending a prospect because I am a fan of the team he played for. HAHAHAHAHA.

You keep judging productive seasons by points. FYI, you are doing it wrong.

I will gladly give you my thoughts on Kakko is you want them in the Kakko thread but that is not your point, your point is the same stupid "feel better about yourself" or "you are being positive because you are a fan" excuse you have a habit of making.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

I think the point you’re making is that all else aside, to pace for less than 30 points as a rookie forward is not really something anybody should be beating their chest about. I can agree with that, as the biggest Dach fan out there. Chicago fans can and should be extremely excited for Dach and happy about what he brought this season, while still recognizing that the point production, which is the base measurement for all top-6 and projected top-6 forwards, was not much to write home about in the grand scheme of things.

I’d just correct you about there being concerns about his two-way game last year. I have no doubt that may have circulated on here and other areas of the Internet, just like the ridiculous criticisms of his skating ability did so, but anyone who actually watched the kid play knew that he was a very strong two-way player who was constantly engaged, in position, and regularly picked opponents’ pockets on the back check. Was he “drafted to be a two-way centre”? Well, no, you are right there. If that’s all there was, he wouldn’t have gone at 3. But I can guarantee that Chicago knew and was influenced by the knowledge that he brought a strong defensive game in addition to the offensive vision.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’d just correct you about there being concerns about his two-way game last year. I have no doubt that may have circulated on here and other areas of the Internet, just like the ridiculous criticisms of his skating ability did so, but anyone who actually watched the kid play knew that he was a very strong two-way player who was constantly engaged, in position, and regularly picked opponents’ pockets on the back check. Was he “drafted to be a two-way centre”? Well, no, you are right there. If that’s all there was, he wouldn’t have gone at 3. But I can guarantee that Chicago knew and was influenced by the knowledge that he brought a strong defensive game in addition to the offensive vision.

And thats why I framed it in a neutral way, and didn't say it matter-of-factly. As I said, I was a Dach fan at the draft, and thought he had big potential. I still do.

I didn't buy into that stuff being real weaknesses. They might've not been strengths, but I didn't think they were weaknesses. And they were areas he could improve on, and I think he's shown well in both areas this season. That should be considered a good development for his game. He's also a toolsy bigger forward. Not a power forward, but he has the size of a power forward. Those bigger forwards almost always take a little longer to develop and hit full consistency. It's probably even longer for a player like Dach whose a skilled-based bigger forward. I thought he would've been better off going back to the WHL, and being the best player in the league.

I think Cozens played a lot more of a style of game that would've translated to being NHL ready in his D+1 season than Dach. I think Dach was rushed to the NHL, but probably will be an example of where a team gets away with rushing a player to the NHL. Dach didn't make it easy by starting off with a lot of points right away, but thats why you make the decision before the season starts, and don't rely on a nine game trial. Those rarely work.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
And thats why I framed it in a neutral way, and didn't say it matter-of-factly. As I said, I was a Dach fan at the draft, and thought he had big potential. I still do.

I didn't buy into that stuff being real weaknesses. They might've not been strengths, but I didn't think they were weaknesses. And they were areas he could improve on, and I think he's shown well in both areas this season. That should be considered a good development for his game. He's also a toolsy bigger forward. Not a power forward, but he has the size of a power forward. Those bigger forwards almost always take a little longer to develop and hit full consistency. It's probably even longer for a player like Dach whose a skilled-based bigger forward. I thought he would've been better off going back to the WHL, and being the best player in the league.

I think Cozens played a lot more of a style of game that would've translated to being NHL ready in his D+1 season than Dach. I think Dach was rushed to the NHL, but probably will be an example of where a team gets away with rushing a player to the NHL. Dach didn't make it easy by starting off with a lot of points right away, but thats why you make the decision before the season starts, and don't rely on a nine game trial. Those rarely work.
I agree with this in full. While I liked what I saw and it was pretty neat to see him get his first goal and make some nice plays, I would much rather he had stayed in Saskatoon and played a major role in the WJC.

I never accept the notion that it’s bad for a player to return to the CHL and get loads of prime-time experience unless they have already legitimately dominated (i.e. leading a line and scoring 2.0 P/G+) or are physically advanced to the point that they might suffer from spending a season learning ways they can use it against opponents that average at 165-170 pounds. Dach fits neither of those categories, and the notion that having a player gain experience playing against pros when they are 18 is superior to doing so at 19 when the strength disadvantage is diminished is simply idiotic.

It was certainly rough when he went that long, mostly dry stretch with ~10 minutes ATOI on the fourth line. You can’t convince me that he learned anything more doing that than he could have playing ~25 minutes ATOI in all situations in the WHL, and then simply participating in training camp and preseason next year.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Dach is going to be a huge point producer shortly on the PP with his main asset being Patty Kane. Kane looks like a kid in the candy shop when he’s on the ice with Dach.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Good to see Pavel Buchnevich is still a shill for Excited States hockey. Never change, Pavel, it's good theater.

The only reason Dach's season is being downplayed this year is because he's put the two non-Canadian prospects drafted ahead of him in the shade. Thus, instead of acknowledging the kid's strong play - he was considered a project at the start of 2019-2020, and wasn't even expected to play in the NHL this past season - Buchnevich has to lump him in with the two more-ballyhooed players drafted ahead of him as being a disappointment. His game certainly has plenty of room for growth, but I would hardly call him a disappointment, especially considering his relative lack of PP time and his position on the depth chart- two factors which cut deeply into his offensive numbers this season. If this kid was given the gravy minutes Hughes was given in New Jersey, his numbers would be substantially better. Unfortunately, he wasn't given those minutes. But he showed enough otherwise that it would be simply inappropriate to rank Hughes ahead of him. Personally, I would not be at all surprised if he ends up the best player (or at least best forward) from this draft. He's Canadian, so his talents are taken for granted or disparaged around here (this is the same site where WhiskeyMyDevils was trying to convince everyone for the longest time that Gaudreau was at least the equal of Mackinnon), but I think Dach will end up a better player than the two guys taken ahead of him.

Don't buy the hype, folks. Just because a kid isn't Canadian doesn't make him better than the one who is. "Growing the game" shouldn't mean trampling on Canadian prospects, or downplaying their achievements. But, of course, that's par for the course on Hockeysfuture.com. It's all about "Growing the Game", however disingenuously.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
Pavel, you don't discuss hockey substantively on these boards; you never have. I find you a very disingenuous poster, a guy with an agenda passing himself off as some sort of objective, dispassionate observer. And I know enough about the inner workings of this site to know that there is very much a conspiracy - or a zealous sentiment - against Canadian athletes and players. Whether it's jealousy, or something else, I'll mostly leave to others to decide.

Tell you what: when the day arrives that you are as honest about your sympathies and motivations as Dominance and I are about ours, I'll take back everything I've written. Otherwise, take your USNTDP pom-poms and go hide in a corner. You consistently down-play Canadian players and prospects on this site, and that takes a willful ignorance of what they've done, or what skills they bring to the table. You're only downplaying Dach now because the two guys (one of them being one of your boys) who were taken ahead of him have proved comparatively disappointing. So, why not rain on Dach's parade by saying he's also been a disappointment? That completely ignores what the kid's achieved, or his circumstances in Chicago. I get it: you're a self-styled cosmopolitan who wants to see fewer Canadians in the NHL (preferably, in the board offices, too). But that doesn't mean you should be allowed to craft your own flimsy or dishonest narratives that strain credulity.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
There is a very high probability here that Dach will end up being the best forward taken in the 19 draft. This really should not be a shock to anyone as most scouts said that he had the highest upside going into the draft. He performed to expectations this year (he was considered to be a bit of a project) and will no doubt be an integral part of Chicago's offense. Every Hawk fan should be and will be ecstatic that the Hawk's chose who they did.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
There is a very high probability here that Dach will end up being the best forward taken in the 19 draft. This really should not be a shock to anyone as most scouts said that he had the highest upside going into the draft. He performed to expectations this year (he was considered to be a bit of a project) and will no doubt be an integral part of Chicago's offense. Every Hawk fan should be and will be ecstatic that the Hawk's chose who they did.
I watched a couple whl games of his before the draft and had him 3rd personally only cause the hype around Hughes / kakko, I would not have blinked an eye if anyone took him first. He’s a great young player similar to a Draisaitl. No one should be disappointed with his season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Dach was consistently good this season. Didn't always wow you and the point totals don't jump out at you but he never looked out of place. Can't say the same for Hughes or Kakko. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leap frog the other two as soon as next season. Speaking broadly, I think Hughes has the highest hill to climb. He has a lot of offensive talent but is more flash than substance at this point. He and the Devils need to figure out how to maximize what he brings to the table.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
His reach has been really impressive in his rookie year. Also, how he sees the game is amazing. Can't wait to see him develop into a crazy 2 way 1st line center. He plays the game in a very smart way. Very jealous of Chicago drafting him exactly the pick as Jesperi Kotkaniemi but a year later.

Coming from a Montreal Canadiens fan. You're welcome.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Dach looked like a quality NHLer to me. Not great yet. Not even very good yet.
But quality.
That's impressive at 18.
And he's only going to get better.
That stats may or may not show it, but Dach was worlds better than Michael Rasmussen was in his D+1 year in Detroit. He's easily going to be a 2C and maybe even a dominant 1C.[/QUOT

Thought Kirby did very well in his debut although I really feel he would have been better spending and dominating juniors. With that said, I see some Eric Staal in the kid which aint a bad comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: ricardfromage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad