C Jean-Luc Foudy - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2020, 75th, COL)

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Outrageous skater is a great way to put it. Scouting him in minor midget was so much god damn fun.

He does have a tendency to hold on to the puck too much, though, in fairness, he was so far ahead of his teammates in minor midget, that it was usually the best decision. He is a pretty good playmaker, though, and doesn't purely have tunnel vision.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Saw him play for the first time today. Definitely more skilled than his brother. Very good player. Tried to do too much way too often. He was trying to dangle the puck into the net, and was taking too long to release the puck. I don't know if he usually plays like that, but that would be my main concern about his game. Outrageous skater though with a lot of offensive skill. Looks just as fast as his brother, and his edges were absurd. Liam's more north to south. Jean-Luc is a great skater N-S and E-W.
Yes actually, one of my only real problems with his game is he just tries to do too much at times, whether it be holding onto the puck too long or passing up shooting opportunities to continue to deke. He can score goals, but he's only really getting assists for that reason. If he starts to slow himself down and think a little clearer he could be really really good.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Saw him play for the first time today. Definitely more skilled than his brother. Very good player. Tried to do too much way too often. He was trying to dangle the puck into the net, and was taking too long to release the puck. I don't know if he usually plays like that, but that would be my main concern about his game. Outrageous skater though with a lot of offensive skill. Looks just as fast as his brother, and his edges were absurd. Liam's more north to south. Jean-Luc is a great skater N-S and E-W.

i like this kid. Excellent set of wheels. A prospect that should go high in the draft.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Genetics huh?

06-very_interesting_photos_22.jpg

Swole boï.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would not rule out Foudy competing for 1OA.

His skating, skill and playmaking from the center of the ice might have him in that conversation in what looks like a draft with no clear 1OA candidate.
Lafrenière is just on another level for me. But he’s worked himself onto a level plane with Byfield as a threat for second overall, in my eyes. That Lundell guy is supposed to be really good, too.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lafrenière is just on another level for me. But he’s worked himself onto a level plane with Byfield as a threat for second overall, in my eyes. That Lundell guy is supposed to be really good, too.

I have Lafreniere 1OA right now and he's a really good prospect, but I'm not sure if he's such a great prospect that he's a clear 1OA without challengers.

I haven't seen Byfield play well yet, but I'll go with the assessment now of those who've watched more of him. I'd also have Drysdale, Lundell and Raymond squarely in that discussion. Poirier is another I wouldn't rule out.

I think thats seven candidates, Lafreniere, Byfield, Drysdale, Lundell, Raymond, Foudy and Poirier, so I think the race for first is on.

Edit: I forgot Barron, so eight candidates.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
He has really impressed this year and should be a 1st round pick in 18 months but to to say that he is in conversation for 1OA with Lafrenierre is crazy at this point. He has 4 goals in 40 games. I don't care how fast you skate those numbers aren't 1OA worthy. You would have many who watch the Spits regularly argue that his teammate Will Cuylle has been the better player this season.

Reactions: SpItFiReZ

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Watched him live the other day and he was fantastic. He sees the ice so well. Still very weak and doesnt have much of a shot but I suspect that will come along with age. Played the point on the PP and is an excellent passer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has really impressed this year and should be a 1st round pick in 18 months but to to say that he is in conversation for 1OA with Lafrenierre is crazy at this point. He has 4 goals in 40 games. I don't care how fast you skate those numbers aren't 1OA worthy. You would have many who watch the Spits regularly argue that his teammate Will Cuylle has been the better player this season.

You are creating a false scenario. I didn't say he's ahead of Lafreniere now, and the 2020 draft takes place in nearly a year and a half.

Cuylle should be a first round pick and I could see him being a mid-range first. I think Foudy has a better skill-set and looks right now like a higher pick. Do you disagree?

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
With a good season this year and strong start next year, would love to see him make Team Canada's WJC roster as an underager. Tournament is on big ice and his elite skating could be a big asset. Hopefully he gets stronger this summer.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I said it was crazy that he is even the same conversation as Lafenierre. I didn't indicate that you said he was ahead but in the conversation, which, at this point I don't think is true. I tend to agree with you that Foudy looks like a higher pick than Cuylle so far, but it is close. The OHL rookies are very strong this year and I truly believe Foudy is amongst the top 6 or 7 rookies in the OHL but do not believe he is in the conversation for 1OA as of today.. Right now I have him somewhere between 15-20 (which is still very high).

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Everyone has their own opinions and I respect yours. If he plays like he has the last 10 games and gets stronger you are probably right. But if he plays like he did at U17's (not a top 20 player in the tournament, probably 5th best on team Canada Black) and continues to score at a rate of 1 goal every 10 games played (4 goals in 40 games), then I think I am being generous.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Not a chance. Every Spits fan you will talk to will tell you the complete opposite, Foudy is clearly the better of the two. Of Cuylle’s 20 goals, 90% are assisted by Foudy. Yes Cuylle has been good too but Foudy is on another level completely. His skating I would compare to McDavid. And that’s without hesitation. The only thing he needs to work on is shooting more. He’s more than competent in every other aspect to his game.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was considering the similarities, as well, because of the skating. He's not a generational prospect like McDavid, so there are clear differences. I don't even want to call him a poor man's McDavid because I don't like doing things like that, but the skating from the center ice position is reminiscent of 97.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
When was the last time two teammates both went in the first round of the NHL draft? Cuylle and Foudy both have a chance to do this.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I have Lafreniere 1OA right now and he's a really good prospect, but I'm not sure if he's such a great prospect that he's a clear 1OA without challengers.

I haven't seen Byfield play well yet, but I'll go with the assessment now of those who've watched more of him. I'd also have Drysdale, Lundell and Raymond squarely in that discussion. Poirier is another I wouldn't rule out.

I think thats seven candidates, Lafreniere, Byfield, Drysdale, Lundell, Raymond, Foudy and Poirier, so I think the race for first is on.

Edit: I forgot Barron, so eight candidates.

why is raymond in the discussion but gunler isnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad