C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anders Lee, Joe Pavelski, Bandon Montour. 40 of the top 700 scorers from last season spent thier age 18 season in the ushl, 60 played in the qmjhl, 13 played in the bchl.
I was referring exclusively to 19-year-olds (who are the 3 guys listed). I know 18-year-olds aren't uncommon, but 19-year-olds becoming top 6 guys is about the same as the 20-year-old CHL players who become players of impact in the NHL. It's rare but it happens (Muzzin, Marchessault, etc).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Exhibition games against college teams aren't really equal to playing in the NCAA or the CHL. Matthews too greatly benefited from playing in Switzerland for a year before starting his NHL career. There's nothing wrong with the NTDP in itself, but there's quite a gap between it and the NHL.

Right because NCAA players wouldn’t want to play hard against the darling hockey program that includes the most talented kids and show either an NHL team or even their own coach they can hang with or best those guys. I’m thinking a game against a national development team is above a non conference or mismatch game but below something like the Beanpot.

That said you appear to have your mind made up about Hughes and for any number of reasons you think he is not that good. As always you are entitled to your opinion as are all posters.

Just for the record will you suggest what his career trajectory will he like? If you are so certain about his abilities why not explain what sort of player he will be in the NHL and what his scoring pace will be?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If he can figure it out he can be a PPG or slightly above player in the NHL, if not then a poor man's RNH in a more limited role.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
If he can figure it out he can be a PPG or slightly above player in the NHL, if not then a poor man's RNH in a more limited role.
Lol always great to see player evaluations that are essentially he can either be:

A top 25 player in the league
Or
A POOR man's 60 point player (so I'm guessing that means 50 or so and a D liability)

Great take. And I'm still undecided on Hughes vs Kakko, so it's not like I'm just looking to defend Hughes here.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's Hughes for you. Kakko on the other hand has lower ceiling but also higher floor. Rantanen or Rantanen lite. Like I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if Byram proves to be the best player of the draft.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Because he plays in the USHL and wasn't exactly destroying the U20 tournament. No first overall ever has made a direct jump from the USHL to the NHL.
He also played a significant number of games versus NCAA opponents. And I don’t want to hear “it’s an exhibition for the NCAA team”, either. I have seen many of those games in person, and the NCAA teams do not take these games off.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
There's no way Jack Hughes can play center in these NHL playoffs as good as he is. When you see how Marner, Gaudreau, Kucherov did, I would think about Kakko especially after seeing Stone, Couture, Rantanen, Hertl at the top of the NHL playoff scoring.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He also played a significant number of games versus NCAA opponents. And I don’t want to hear “it’s an exhibition for the NCAA team”, either. I have seen many of those games in person, and the NCAA teams do not take these games off.

They totally are exhibition games though, all about scoring goals and little else.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I was referring exclusively to 19-year-olds (who are the 3 guys listed). I know 18-year-olds aren't uncommon, but 19-year-olds becoming top 6 guys is about the same as the 20-year-old CHL players who become players of impact in the NHL. It's rare but it happens (Muzzin, Marchessault, etc).

Always an odd egg out of every league. Torey Krug out of USHL

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Jack got out-hustled on the first Team Russia goal. Some lazy backchecking there.

Team Russia wins 3-2, advances to the Gold Medal match. Jack picks up one assist in a 3-2 loss. Team USA had 8 powerplays in the game.

Even Craig Button, who usually defends Jack, was critical of him on this play.

Team USA plays for the bronze medal tomorrow.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Jack got out-hustled on the first Team Russia goal. Some lazy backchecking there.

Team Russia wins 3-2, advances to the Gold Medal match. Jack picks up one assist in a 3-2 loss. Team USA had 8 powerplays in the game.

Even Craig Button, who usually defends Jack, was critical of him on this play.

Team USA plays for the bronze medal tomorrow.
He showed his trademark wide pond hockey turn here as well. Instead of immediately braking and challenging the Russian forwards, he takes a wide turn all the way around, completely outside the play, and the Russians have all the time in the world to score.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
He showed his trademark wide pond hockey turn here as well. Instead of immediately braking and challenging the Russian forwards, he takes a wide turn all the way around, completely outside the play, and the Russians have all the time in the world to score.
It was a bad play... but I don’t think you realize how dumb you sound with the wide turn thing. You’re just killing your credibility

Reactions: The Sweetness

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
"If he can figure it out"

When you watch Hughes play, do you put your hands in front of your eyes? You're ridiculous, the kid just tore up the tournament and in your "eyes" he still hasn't figured it out. You either don't know shit about hockey or you're simply trolling;

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
When you watch Hughes play, do you put your hands in front of your eyes? You're ridiculous, the kid just tore up the tournament and in your "eyes" he still hasn't figured it out. You either don't know **** about hockey or you're simply trolling;

U18 WJC is not "the" tournament. Hughes has never played against opposition that would adequately prepare him for the level of physical play that awaits in the NHL, thus he has a lot both to learn and also to prove.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
U18 WJC is not "the" tournament. Hughes has never played against opposition that would adequately prepare him for the level of physical play that awaits in the NHL, thus he has a lot both to learn and also to prove.
He's dominating against his own peers and there is nothing to suggest he can't handle the physical play of the NHL and even if he plays in the NHL next year and it's obvious he needs to get stronger then he will, again, there is nothing to suggest he won't except your own bias and hate for him.

A poor man's RHN, get the f*** out of here with that crap

Reactions: NJ07102

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
I still think he'll be a great 1st line center in this league. I just don't think he's the best player in this draft. Bite me.

P.S. I love how any opinions outside the norm are treated as "dumb, ridiculous, biased". I wanted Kakko before the draft lottery even happened. My post history can prove it. Maybe in 5, 10, 20 years I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think my opinion right now should be treated as "stupid."

Reactions: FinnishSniper

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I am binge watching the highlights.

Nobody else thinks this kid is both skinny and short? Elias Pettersson had no problem being skinny, but he is 4 inches taller.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I am binge watching the highlights.

Nobody else thinks this kid is both skinny and short? Elias Pettersson had no problem being skinny, but he is 4 inches taller.
He is. I think just by looking at him 5'9" and 150 pounds is close to the truth. He needs to gain like 15 pounds of muscle in the summer or he is going to be at risk of getting some injuries next year. I think the focus is going to be on his shot and physicality for the summer. He seems physically like a 15 year old, so I think getting mass will be fairly easy

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I still think he'll be a great 1st line center in this league. I just don't think he's the best player in this draft. Bite me.

P.S. I love how any opinions outside the norm are treated as "dumb, ridiculous, biased". I wanted Kakko before the draft lottery even happened. My post history can prove it. Maybe in 5, 10, 20 years I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think my opinion right now should be treated as "stupid."
All these people calling the people stupid, that think Kakko is better at the moment are so ignorant. I'm just waiting for the WC where I think it will be proven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad