C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I understand how/why Devil fans want Hughes. However, the vitriol for Kakko is insane...like a spoiled, rotten kid with a shiny, new toy he will not share. What would said fans of the NJD do if they pick Kakko.

You can hate an organization but still like/respect players that wear the uniform of the "enemy." I abhor the Devils, Islanders, Pens, Philly...but "love" quite a guys that play for those teams.

As a Ranger fan, either player is going to be great. I want the Devs to pick Kakko just to come hear and read what you guys are going to post. It would be so much fun. "Hughes really wasn't great. It was a smokescreen to pick the better player in Kakko..." Ha

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I understand how/why Devil fans want Hughes. However, the vitriol for Kakko is insane...like a spoiled, rotten kid with a shiny, new toy he will not share. What would said fans of the NJD do if they pick Kakko.

You can hate an organization but still like/respect players that wear the uniform of the "enemy." I abhor the Devils, Islanders, Pens, Philly...but "love" quite a guys that play for those teams.

As a Ranger fan, either player is going to be great. I want the Devs to pick Kakko just to come hear and read what you guys are going to post. It would be so much fun. "Hughes really wasn't great. It was a smokescreen to pick the better player in Kakko..." Ha

I don’t know what you’re smoking but devils fans haven’t really attacked Kakko. All we’ve said is what virtually all scouts are saying which is that Hughes is the consensus 1OA and better talent.
The bringing down of a player has been pretty much exclusively rags fans and especially fins bringing down Hughes.

Edit- just go back to Nico vs Nolan and you’ll see that both devils and philly fans were quite civil. I blame most of the hubbub going on now on the fins and rags fans. The only thing that could possibly be worse is if the 2OA pick was Vancouver's as they have the biggest homer fan base on the planet. Actually scratch that, Van 1OA and NYR 2OA is what would have been crazy in terms of homerism of epic proportions. I can see it already, if Van had 1OA Hughes would be the next Gretzky or the second coming of Jesus.

Last edited:

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Did Nico Hischier’s extra 2 inches and less than 10 pounds prevent him from getting injured as a rookie? He played 82 games plus playoffs, most of them as the 1C. Jack is definitely going to take a beating at times next year, but he’s not more prone to concussions than anyone else.
Concussions, broken bones, anything... Physicality is not at a recuired level, and he might get hurt, I’d say there’s no point rushing in a raw player

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s better than the vast majority of rookies that have played this decade. He will play and will be fine.

Pettersson was ready to play this year skill wise but not ready physically. He's already got a slew of injuries under his belt that could have been avoided if we had just waited till he was physically mature.

I understand where that poster is coming from.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Pettersson was ready to play this year skill wise but not ready physically. He's already got a slew of injuries under his belt that could have been avoided if we had just waited till he was physically mature.

Waiting for Pettersson to be physically mature would keep him out of the league for another 3 seasons. Dude just is skinny.

He can drive play on the wing and so can Hughes. Put them in a place to succeed and worry less about position.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What’s really funny is that 98% of us didn’t follow either Hughes’ or Kakko’s careers until the lottery but now we’re all experts. There are like 3 people posting in these threads who actually followed them as juniors.

Which is why I find the (primarily Finnish, but also a very small group of Rangers fans) commentary on Hughes to be so amusing. I've followed Hughes for years and some of this stuff is just silly.

Shit is so dumb. They are both elite-level prospects. I am going to be utterly happy with either of them.

I actually feel a bit of empathy for the Devils on this one since they are the only team that has to make a real, informed decision. The Rangers just grab whomever they don't take. I personally would take Hughes over Kakko.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Because he’s a devil lmao.
Because he had one of the most impressive amateur careers in the history of the sport and clearly has the skills to overcome being slightly undersized. Are you aware that you are the one that is outside the consensus here? No one that matters has put their name to the “Jack won’t be ready for the NHL” garbage.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

And you know he wasn’t ready physically...how? Who knows how he would’ve been in the NHL? I mean he might not have been ready, but I thought dominating a league in Europe was proof that you’ll be dominant in the NHL to you guys?

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Filtering out the noise is getting exhausting here, boys.

Literally no one has attacked Kakko. Go read the threads.

To the bolded - bulls***.

We both know what you're trying to do here - it's pretty transparent.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland

Exactly, a concussion won’t affect for a couple of weeks, it could affect you for your lifetime. It would be stupid for the Devils to risk such things, as a concussion or a bad injury could take a year or two away from the lenght of one’s career.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Exactly, a concussion won’t affect for a couple of weeks, it could affect you for your lifetime. It would be stupid for the Devils to risk such things, as a concussion or a bad injury could take a year or two away from the lenght of one’s career.
How does a player who generally shies away from contact have a greater risk of getting concussed than a player that loves to engage physically? Is there any research that suggests size is correlated with concussions at all? Off the top of my head, of guys that have had their careers ruined by concussions, many are big (Clowe, Lindros, Primeau, Stevens, etc.)

Reactions: HBK27

sammystl5

May 19, 2015
CT

Anyone can get a concussion at anytime in the NHL. It is just s fast and violent that there is a risk every time you step on the ice. It isn't like physically larger players are immune to getting hurt, ex. Eric Lindros was a physical beast and he was plagued by concussions just due to style of play. This argument is just absolute nonsense.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Filtering out the noise is getting exhausting here, boys.

Literally no one has attacked Kakko. Go read the threads.

To the bolded - bulls***.

We both know what you're trying to do here - it's pretty transparent.

Dear Lord- I will go and find plenty of posts that demean Kakko and defend Hughes like he is your flesh and blood child.

I will return later when I have time to go through countless posts.

The art of turning this around on me is classic...reason why I can't stand certain fan bases. And yes, please show me where more than one or two Ranger fans have said anything bad about any player. Inferiority complex is still very strong and clearly not going away no matter how much more successful your team has been than the Rangers. Quite sad. Going to be a tough run for some as the Rangers are going to be quite good very soon...and doing that without tanking.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Because he had one of the most impressive amateur careers in the history of the sport and clearly has the skills to overcome being slightly undersized. Are you aware that you are the one that is outside the consensus here? No one that matters has put their name to the “Jack won’t be ready for the NHL” garbage.
You said he’ll be easily better than Auston Matthews so I’ll just say your opinion isn’t the most valid.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I’ve done some googling and can’t find where Shero has said they’re taking Hughes. Why is it so obvious to to Devils fans they are taking him? Is there a link to something he has said? Thanks.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
What’s really funny is that 98% of us didn’t follow either Hughes’ or Kakko’s careers until the lottery but now we’re all experts. There are like 3 people posting in these threads who actually followed them as juniors.

You wonder why the Devils don't get the respect the Rangers do when considering the fact that so many American players suit up in Black, Red and White. I think it is because the best team the US has ever had was when Brian Leetch was captain, Richter in net, and guys like Amonte and Weight were impact forwards.

The NYR also have had (even shorts stints) of a long list of great American players... Schneider, Brian Muller, Vanbiesbrouk, Granato, Drury, Kevin Stevens, Hatcher, Olczyk...not taking anything away from the Devils. I respect the winning culture and team chemistry that is evident even when the lineups are weaker as they have been recently. The same can not be said of the Rangers, who embarrassed themselves for years by trading for or signing guys that were more interested in money or something other than winning...though that changed after the last lockout.

And yes, it is good to have the rivalry back.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad