C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

JA

6'2'' centerman Gabriel Vilardi has had an extremely hot start to the 2016-17 season. He protects the puck extremely well with his strength, possesses terrific vision, and is an excellent puck handler. He also has a wonderful release. When he has the puck, it is difficult to take it off of him.

This is a high-end player, in my opinion. His skill set is impressive.

So far this season, he has 4 goals, 5 assists, 9 points in 4 games with the Windsor Spitfires. If he continues to play like he has so far, he can challenge Nolan Patrick for the first overall position.

ISS, Future Considerations, and Craig Button rank him third overall on their preliminary lists; McKenzie's preseason draft rankings has him ranked sixth overall. Hockeyprospect.com ranks him second overall.

Keep in mind his birthday is August 16, 1999, whereas Patrick's is September 19, 1998. Gabriel Vilardi is 11 months younger than Nolan Patrick.

https://oilersfuture.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/ohl-forwards-2017/
Gabriel Vilardi (C) Windsor Spitfires – DOB: 1999-08-16 – H: 6’2

As of Sept 14th he was ranked 3rd by Hockey Prospect, Future Considerations & Craig Button

Last Word on Sports: He uses his size to shield the puck and maintain possession in the cycle game, and uses his powerful stride to fight through checks and drive the net. Vilardi has a very long reach and excellent puck handling ability. He uses these assets to extend plays and wait for teammates to get open, before hitting them with a pass. Vilardi is constantly moving and getting involved in the play. He is extremely gritty and involved in battles along the boards, and in front of the net. The power forward prospect also has a very good wrist shot.
http://thehockeywriters.com/gabriel-vilardi/
2017 Top Prospect Watch: Gabriel Vilardi
August 1st, 2016
BY Dave Jewell

Windsor Spitfires’ Center Gabriel Vilardi is going to get a chance this coming season not many young players are given.

In May, the Spitfires were awarded the 2017 Mastercard Memorial Cup and the team will be looking to ice the best roster it can. While normally this means a veteran-laden squad, it should also mean a golden opportunity for the young Vilardi.

Drafted second overall by the Spitfires during the 2015 OHL Priority Selection, the 6’2” 185lb, 99-born Vilardi, was coming off a huge season with CIHA Voyageurs Minor Midget where he had 18-goals and 39-points in 21 games.

Expectations were high, but the young center had a smooth transition. He showed early that his deceptive speed and quick, heavy shot were key assets to his game. There was a drive about him that made life rough for opponents. On many nights, he looked like a veteran in the offensive zone. His feet got him to the puck quicker than teams expected, and his size and intelligence allowed him to control play around net before he created a scoring opportunity. While he showed a quiet demeanor, he led by example. His hard work proved contagious and his line quickly became one fans got excited to see when it hit the ice.

In his first 13-games, through the end of October, Vilardi had seven goals and five assists for 12 points. He was getting power-play chances and contributing more than fans expected. There was even a stretch from mid-December until the trade deadline on January 10 where he scored 13-points in 10 games, including an eight-game point-scoring streak. The Spitfires acquired two veteran forwards at the deadline, Connor Chatham and Mads Ellers, which saw Vilardi drop in the lineup a bit. He never wavered, though, and kept pressing, finishing with 17 goals, 21 assists, and 38 points in 62 games.

As the 2016-17 season approaches, Vilardi will be counted on to provide scoring, minutes and leadership. It’s almost the perfect storm for the second-year forward. With the Spitfires hosting the Memorial Cup in May, the attention will be on the team and several current NHL prospects, such as Ottawa prospect Logan Brown, Montreal prospect Mikhail Sergachev and Winnipeg prospect Logan Stanley.

Vilardi will draw his own attention, but the spotlight won’t be directly on him. This will allow Vilardi to play his game and simply focus on the team’s success and his personal development as a player. He’ll get plenty of power-play time, plenty of even-strength minutes and should be counted on for leadership both on-and-off the ice.

It’s rare for a second-year player to have an opportunity like this, where he is on a Memorial Cup hosting team in his NHL Draft year. If anyone can handle it, though, it’s Vilardi. Well-beyond his years, Vilardi was a smart draft pick for Spitfires’ GM Warren Rychel in 2015 and the rewards are about to pay off this season.
Scouting reports from last season:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/early-look-at-2017-nhl-draft-s-top-10-prospects-162932515.html
Early look at 2017 NHL draft’s top 10 prospects
By Kelly Friesen
28 July, 2016 12:44 PM
Buzzing The Net

3. Gabriel Vilardi, centre, Windsor Spitfires (OHL) – The Kingston, Ont., native appears to be poised for a breakout season in his second year with the Spitfires. He tallied 17 markers and 38 points in 62 games as a rookie while showcasing his top-notch playmaking abilities and slick moves.

Scout’s take: “Our Ontario guys see Vilardi as a dynamic, and often brilliant, offensive attacker. He looks to set up his linemates with timely passes, but isn’t shy to finish off the play when the opportunity presents itself. He’s a toolsy centre who is just scratching the surface of his potential, and we’re curious to see how much of that he taps into this season.”

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-nhl-draft-early-look/c-281059886
Looking ahead to 2017 NHL Draft
by Mike G. Morreale @MikemorrealeNHL / NHL.com Staff Writer
June 25th, 2016

Vilardi (6-2, 193) had 38 points (17 goals, 21 assists) in 62 games as a rookie for the Spitfires.

"He's a highly skilled center with good size and deceptive skating ability," Ryan said. "He maneuvers extremely well in traffic and is able to create time and space for himself effectively."

http://thescout.ca/web/index.php/articles/15122-ohl-prospects-most-impressive-born-1999-born-players
OHL Prospects: Most Impressive Born 1999 Born Players
Created: Monday, 14 March 2016 16:32

4. Gabriel Vilardi - Forward - Windsor Spitfires

Like any true OHL rookie, Vilardi has had his ups and downs. Stretches of strong play, stretches where he just isn't much of a factor. To be fair, his offensive production has decreased in the second half of the season because he's found himself further down the Windsor line-up (with the additions of Chatham and Eller). The powerplay time he was seeing at the beginning of the season just hasn't been there lately. However, he's high on my list because he's been one of the only guys (IMO) who has shown an ability to take over a game. The skill level is very high, and he seems to have that innate ability to slow the game down in the offensive end . At 6'2 (and growing), Vilardi has the potential to be a franchise center and that's why NHL teams are likely to be lined up for his services in 2017. While Vilardi is not number one on my list of the most impressive 99's, I do believe that he's currently the top option from the OHL for next year's draft.

He suffered a knee injury at the Ivan Hlinka tournament in August, and missed five regular season games for Windsor. He has looked great since his return, however. Last season was his rookie season in the OHL; this season is his sophomore season. Nolan Patrick is in his third WHL season.

http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/spitfires-lose-vilardi-for-six-weeks

Gabriel+Vilardi+Niagara+IceDogs+v+Windsor+tBfGfYprVmex.jpg

Gabriel+Vilardi+Sasha+Chmelevski+Sarnia+Sting+HIMgFFWOTVsx.jpg

Gabriel+Vilardi+Niagara+IceDogs+v+Windsor+UikpQLeMJFwx.jpg

11408839.jpg

1297792216109_ORIGINAL.jpg

Gabriel+Vilardi+Peterborough+Petes+v+Windsor+HRVmsl1lr3Kx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vilardi seems have been involved A LOT with Brown.
So my question if any knows are the following:

Do they they play together 5 on 5 or just power-play?
--Just wondering because Brown is also a centerman.

Also if they do play together who is the actual centerman?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Vilardi seems have been involved A LOT with Brown.
So my question if any knows are the following:

Do they they play together 5 on 5 or just power-play?
--Just wondering because Brown is also a centerman.

Also if they do play together who is the actual centerman?
Vilardi is playing on the wing, they have been playing together 5 on 5, along with Addison. Vilardi is a long term center though. Very high-IQ player, his ability to adapt to whatever situation reminds me of Sam Reinhart.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vilardi is playing on the wing, they have been playing together 5 on 5, along with Addison. Vilardi is a long term center though. Very high-IQ player, his ability to adapt to whatever situation reminds me of Sam Reinhart.

Thanks, appreciate it

:handclap:

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city

Do you like Vilardi more than Patrick?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you like Vilardi more than Patrick?
I've seen more of Vilardi than Patrick. I'd go Patrick at the moment. They have very similar skills, but Patrick has better physical tools (noticeably better skater) and Patrick is probably a better goal scorer. I can't really think of one area where Vilardi clearly trumps Patrick, whereas I'd say the skating is a clear edge for Patrick. I fully expect Vilardi to cement himself in the top 3 though by the end of the year.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I've seen more of Vilardi than Patrick. I'd go Patrick at the moment. They have very similar skills, but Patrick has better physical tools (noticeably better skater) and Patrick is probably a better goal scorer. I can't really think of one area where Vilardi clearly trumps Patrick, whereas I'd say the skating is a clear edge for Patrick. I fully expect Vilardi to cement himself in the top 3 though by the end of the year.

I know i've mentioned this to you elsewhere...but watching Vilardi I wonder sometimes if he's got better offensive instincts than Patrick. His U17 stats don't support that - and I'm going mainly on an 'eye test'. But I'm really interested to see how Vilardi does offensively this season.

I definitely agree with you on Patrick being the better skater. While skating is a weak point of Patrick's overall skillset, it's noticeably better than Vilardi's and it's not just because of the age difference.

When I watch Vilardi he kind of reminds me of Tavares. Not the same talent level, but I keep thinking of that comparison.

I'm going to have to make an effort to see more of Comtois this season. He seems to be consistently regarded as a better prospect than Vilardi. But from what I've seen on them both this season, Vilardi looks better.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know i've mentioned this to you elsewhere...but watching Vilardi I wonder sometimes if he's got better offensive instincts than Patrick. His U17 stats don't support that - and I'm going mainly on an 'eye test'. But I'm really interested to see how Vilardi does offensively this season.

I definitely agree with you on Patrick being the better skater. While skating is a weak point of Patrick's overall skillset, it's noticeably better than Vilardi's and it's not just because of the age difference.

When I watch Vilardi he kind of reminds me of Tavares. Not the same talent level, but I keep thinking of that comparison.

I'm going to have to make an effort to see more of Comtois this season. He seems to be consistently regarded as a better prospect than Vilardi. But from what I've seen on them both this season, Vilardi looks better.
Its going to be interesting to follow. Vilardi might have the better vision and passing, but to really get a sense of that I'd need more views of Patrick. At this point I'd have a hard time giving Vilardi a decisive advantage in either. I really like Patrick's shot off the rush, he seems quite comfortable picking corners. Vilardi though is in a position to put up massive numbers this year on a strong Windsor team (although, they may be hit hard with graduations).

It will be interesting to see if Vilardi can play himself into a WJC camp invite, although a lot of that is going to depend on who stays up.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Its going to be interesting to follow. Vilardi might have the better vision and passing, but to really get a sense of that I'd need more views of Patrick. At this point I'd have a hard time giving Vilardi a decisive advantage in either. I really like Patrick's shot off the rush, he seems quite comfortable picking corners. Vilardi though is in a position to put up massive numbers this year on a strong Windsor team (although, they may be hit hard with graduations).

It will be interesting to see if Vilardi can play himself into a WJC camp invite, although a lot of that is going to depend on who stays up.

Vilardi seems a lot like the player who could potentially end up being better but likely won't be regarded as the better prospect during this draft cycle.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Vilardi seems a lot like the player who could potentially end up being better but likely won't be regarded as the better prospect during this draft cycle.

His skills set is definitely there. Would like to see him at center though doubt it happens with the chemistry him and Brown are forming.

JA

I think very highly of Vilardi's skill set. His ability to maintain possession of the puck and react quickly to the puck makes it seem like it's glued to his stick at times; his stick stays with the puck even when he is off-balance. His hand-eye is wonderful. He also reads plays faster than most other players can, and makes plays in difficult, split-second situations when other players' minds would be a tad too slow to process what's happening. When a loose puck suddenly comes into his vicinity, he recognizes how to react and turn it into a positive play. For example, on the first of Logan Brown's two goals on Friday, the puck ricocheted off of the defenceman's skate and changed direction; instead of struggling with the puck, Gabe threw a beautiful pass back to Brown. Most players are thrown off by that redirection, but he timed it with precision. On another play, he makes a move to his backhand on the left side of the offensive zone and starts cutting behind the net from the left side; he quickly switches to his forehand and throws a perfect pass cross-crease through multiple bodies.

When he makes plays at high speed, they're crisp. He handles the puck beautifully and sees the game at an unusually high speed.

Vilardi is a more creative player than Patrick. Frankly, I see more pure, offensive talent in Vilardi than Patrick.

I would also put him ahead of Pierre-Luc Dubois.
All eyes on Vilardi in season debut
Parker, Jim. The Windsor Star [Windsor, Ont] 07 Oct 2016: B.1.

Gabe Vilardi must resist the urge to try to make up for lost time.

The 17-year-old Vilardi was in the lineup for the Windsor Spitfires on Thursday for the first time this season since suffering a knee injury at Hockey Canada's summer under-18 camp in August.

"I'm ready to go and pretty excited to get going this weekend," Vilardi said.

NHL scouts are also anxious to see the 6-foot-3, 201-pound Vilardi in action, considering he's projected to be a lottery pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

"I think everyone's excited to see him develop and watch him," said Matt Ryan, who scouts Ontario and the Great Lakes Region for the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau. "There'll be a lot of people excited to see the next step in the evolution of his game."

The second overall pick in the 2015 OHL Draft, Vilardi will still take a game or two to get his rhythm back, and the big worry is he might try to do too much early to try and impress NHL scouts who have not had a chance to see him.

"I just want to go out and play my game," Vilardi said. "Even if I'm not putting up points, I'm doing something else to help the team and scouts can watch for that."

The reality is that with the Spitfires hosting the Memorial Cup in May, scouts are going to have plenty of time to see Vilardi in action. Some already believe he could be the No. 1 pick overall in June.

"We'll see," Vilardi said. "It's a long ways away and there's so many rankings that if you worry about all of them, you'll go crazy. I just have to go out and play my game."

I was unimpressed with Nolan Patrick when I watched him last season. Vilardi is, in my opinion, the more exciting prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think very highly of Vilardi's skill set. His ability to maintain possession of the puck and react quickly to the puck makes it seem like it's glued to his stick at times; his stick stays with the puck even when he is off-balance. His hand-eye is wonderful. He also reads plays faster than most other players can, and makes plays in difficult, split-second situations when other players' minds would be a tad too slow to process what's happening. When a loose puck suddenly comes into his vicinity, he recognizes how to react and turn it into a positive play. For example, on the first of Logan Brown's two goals on Friday, the puck ricocheted off of the defenceman's skate and changed direction; instead of struggling with the puck, Gabe threw a beautiful pass back to Brown. Most players are thrown off by that redirection, but he timed it with precision. On another play, he makes a move to his backhand on the left side of the offensive zone and starts cutting behind the net from the left side; he quickly switches to his forehand and throws a perfect pass cross-crease through multiple bodies.

When he makes plays at high speed, they're crisp. He handles the puck beautifully and sees the game at an unusually high speed.

Vilardi is a more creative player than Patrick. Frankly, I see more pure, offensive talent in Vilardi than Patrick.

I would also put him ahead of Pierre-Luc Dubois.

I was unimpressed with Nolan Patrick when I watched him last season. Vilardi is, in my opinion, the more exciting prospect.

I agree on some counts. Vilardi is absolutely a very solid player and a lot more creative. What makes Patrick so good to me is he's a workhorse, plays a really sound defensive game and his strength is probably unmatched in the WHL. Kid goes through everyone. Now that likely won't happen at the NHL but to have that kind of raw power already makes him a valuable player. The two of them are probably closer than people think but I think I still give Patrick the edge for now. But man Vilardi looks good.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I watched the Spitfires/Steelheads games from earlier this month so I could get a look at Vilardi, Hague and Tippett, and I've gotta say how good Vilardi looked.

He's an absolute beast down low and gave the Steelheads defence trouble all night below the goal line. Between shielding the puck and spinning off checks he always seemed to come out of battles behind the net or along the boards with the puck, before either taking it to the net himself, or finding a teammate with a crisp, accurate pass. Very impressive.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How is this guy not talked about more? IMO he has a solid chance to be the best center in this draft.
Doesn't seem like any of the top prospects for 2017 are getting much play on this forum right now. Seems people mostly want to talk about the kids in the NHL (and rightfully so, they are the easiest to watch for most).

Not saying I would take Vilardi above Liljegren or Patrick, but he is the top prospect I get to watch the most of and I love his game. If my team ends up in the top 3 and takes him, I won't be disappointed. He's smart, hard working with a good shot and good passing. He's going to be an NHLer, how good of one will probably be determined by how much he can improve his skating. I know people keep on calling the 2017 draft extremely weak, which is somewhat understandable, but I would put Vilardi up against any of the 2016 OHLers. I think he's a comparable prospect to Matthew Tkachuk, although I may be in the minority on that one.

JA

Three points (1 G, 2 A) for Vilardi tonight.

He's up to 7 goals, 10 assists, 17 points in 11 games.

Gabe was moved off of the Logan Brown line, and it resulted in a big night for him. He had started on a line this season with Brown and Jeremiah Addison; Addison was moved off the line four games ago. Once Vilardi and Addison were reunited, the offense started to return.

http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/line-shuffling-helps-vilardi-find-his-offensive-game-as-spitfires-beat-colts
Line shuffling helps Vilardi find his offensive game as Spitfires beat Colts
Jim Parker, Windsor Star
Published on: November 6, 2016 | Last Updated: November 6, 2016 7:19 PM EST

Even when a team is rolling, it’s sometimes necessary to do a little tinkering with the lineup.

For the second time in four games, the Windsor Spitfires made a few line changes and the moves paid off in a 6-3 win over the Barrie Colts on Sunday before 4,703 at the WFCU Centre.

“I don’t change too much,†said Spitfires head coach Rocky Thompson, who returned to the bench from the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. “I like chemistry and familiarity with lines, but every now and again it’s important to give someone a different look.â€

Second-year forward Gabe Vilardi was shifted to the second line with Julius Nattinen and Jeremiah Addison, who was moved to the line four games ago.

Vilardi picked up a goal and three points to help the Spitfires tie their longest winning streak of the season at four games.

“Me and (Logan Brown) have kind of been struggling the last few weeks,†Vilardi said. “(Coaches) changed it up and, I think, it helped both of us.

“I thought everyone was going and it felt like all four lines were pushing the pace and controlling the game.â€

Nattinen was thrilled to get a chance to play with the two skilled forwards.

“It was so good,†said Nattinen, who also got his first goal with the team on a slick play between the legs. “I like to play with them, they’re so good with the puck, (they have) speed and shoot the puck well.â€

Addison and Vilardi had been playing with Brown, but Thompson opted to try and get veteran Hayden McCool and Cole Carter some time with Brown to try and get their offensive game going.

“We wanted to get Gabe and Logan going a little bit,†Thompson said. “I know they’ve been working extremely hard and they just weren’t getting the bounces.

“We just thought we’d make a little line swap and it proved to be a positive for us.â€

McCool and Carter went pointless, but Brown did score a goal, just his second in the last seven games.

Vilardi assisted on Cristiano DiGiacinto’s goal to open the scoring.

The lead was never in danger as Vilardi scored on the power play and Nattinen followed to give Windsor a 6-1 cushion before two late Barrie goals. The Spitfires moved back into first place in the West Division.

“I was struggling and it was about time I stepped up and did something out there,†Vilardi said. “We know we’re struggling as players and when we’re not playing well and obviously coaches know it, too.

“Whoever they put me with, I just have to play my game. This team is deep. All four lines, we€™ve got good players. Whoever you’re playing with you can create chances.â€

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
What about his skating ability? Just my opinion and i can be wrong - he`s solid skater for his size, but must improve on first steps and lateral movies

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Vilardi on a 107 point pace over a full 68 game season. That is impressive. He might be a better winger than a center.

Patrick is on a similar pace, 108 point pace in 72 games or 102 if shortened to 68 games, before he got injured. Be interesting to see if he can come back strong and we could get a real solid race to the finish between these two.
Think Hischier could be a dark horse as he's currently on a 110 point pace over 68 Q games. Think this draft is a lot stronger than the pro scouts have made it out to be.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think he's going to be a good 1 for sure, any team that gets him is going to have a very good player on their hands.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Honestly, I think he might be more offensively gifted than Patrick is. I realize that won't necessarily get a bunch of agreement - but I don't think anyone can say I'm way out there on that observation, either.

No it isn't a ridiculous claim. Vilardi has every offensive tool you could want in a prospect other than blazing speed and agility. His hands are incredible, matched by his crisp, accurate passes. He seems to have a knack for knowing where his teammates are in the offensive zone, and makes high IQ passes and plays to set them up. I also find his shot to be quite underrated. The only thing holding him back from being a franchise level talent to me is his skating. Acceleration, lateral mobility, and top speed need work for him to have the perfect offensive arsenal. While Patrick is also very skilled himself, and is a noticeably better skater, I think he relies more on his strength relative to his peers than Vilatdi does to create offense, which I don't expect to translate quite as well to the NHL level. To me Vilardi processes the game at a faster rate than Patrick does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad