Prospect Info: C Filip Hållander, Timra IK

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
We’ve already have one too many Niklas Nordgrens in this franchise’s history.
No we don't. Nordgren is more Zuccerllo and less Sheary. Hes small but thick and plays in the trenches.

The old NN played like a puff too.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
He will attend the summer WJC camp in the start of July. From reports and mock lineups he looks locked in as a top 6 forward.

Anyone know why he was left out of the U18 team this year?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I hope he's got a better fate. Sundqvist is a weird skater, dude got so much hype around here for some odd reason.

Well when Sundqvist came onto the scene he reminded many people of Jordan Staal-lite. Big body who was defensively reliable, albeit slow
Then it seemed injuries hit and he never really recovered

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Apparently he played injured last year, so that could account for some of the conflicting reports.

I wonder if the knee injury affected his play?

How long was he injured for?

Yea, at the moment, he's a full step ahead of Sundqvist in terms of where he could top out.
Some of those highlights were mostly him net fronting but he's got wheels, if you click on the vid i posted, it'll take you to a youtube playlist to see more of his speed.

He's a mix of Hags+Horny.

I saw a bit of Hags in there as well. Speed and tenacity on the forecheck, decent hands, but doesn't seem like the type to stickhandle around guys often. As a net front he reminds me as a hybrid between Guentzel and Hornqvist. He can make some of the tips and net front plays Guentzel does, but not as well, and he can jam away like Horny does, but not quite as nasty. he had some nifty net front plays in that highlight video. He does already look to be a much better passer than Hornqvist though, and Hags for that matter. I know that's not saying a ton, but his passing from the video posted looks pretty decent. I should also say my viewings are limited to that video, highlights, so take this with a grain of salt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well when Sundqvist came onto the scene he reminded many people of Jordan Staal-lite. Big body who was defensively reliable, albeit slow
Then it seemed injuries hit and he never really recovered
The thing with "Sunny" was that we read more about what he could do than see what he could do as there wasn't enough footage of his style of play, just a lot of 2nd hand information. For this kid, youtube is more available, we can really see what his game is like more now than we could with Oskar.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Everything I read about Hallander said that his skating is weird.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He can grow into a 200 foot type forward with some size as he matures that Pens are in short supply. I do think GMJR has to realize no more trading of picks. Pens need to really rebuild the farm here. Lack D men and have Louzon if healthy as a potential player. Add in this years pick and it is a start.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Everything I read about Hallander said that his skating is weird.

I just got a ton of game tape on Timra, and I don't think that is the case at all. He kinda skates like Jordan Staal. He's skating really fast but it looks like he's in slow motion because he's so rangey.

Reactions: EightyOne and Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just got a ton of game tape on Timra, and I don't think that is the case at all. He kinda skates like Jordan Staal. He's skating really fast but it looks like he's in slow motion because he's so rangey.

Great to hear. He sounds like a really intriguing player.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Great to hear. He sounds like a really intriguing player.
I thought he played a simple game?

Maybe you were talking about his potential though.

If he becomes a solid 3rd liner that can patch the 2nd i'll be quite satisfied with this pick.

I mean, a very strong 4th liner would be ok too but yeah, intriguing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

If he becomes a solid 3rd liner that can patch the 2nd i'll be quite satisfied with this pick.

I'm not sure what kind of game he really plays as I have never watched him, nor have I alluded to him playing a simple game. He does seem like a "meat and potatoes" type of player though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

What I like about him is it sounds like he plays a simple game really really well. A lot of those meat and potatoes guys tend to have holes in their game but it sounds like he can skate, shoot, pass and think.

People are always grading potential by sheer kill and athleticism. There's too many top six guys who'd never get there on those grounds but are there because they think and are fearless and do the simple things better and harder than anyone else.

Hallander sounds like he's got the skill to be a bubble top sixer anyway, but has the intangibles to do it the other way I like that a lot.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Did not watch all the youtube highlights, when he goes to the net does he also get tips? or is it all those type of goals only from the youtube video?

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Did not watch all the youtube highlights, when he goes to the net does he also get tips? or is it all those type of goals only from the youtube video?

He can score garbage goals of all varieties. And he's got the ability to do a little dangling and sniping as well. Someone jokingly said to me that he's the perfect combination of Hagelin and Hornqvist but honestly, that's pretty much accurate.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
He can score garbage goals of all varieties. And he's got the ability to do a little dangling and sniping as well. Someone jokingly said to me that he's the perfect combination of Hagelin and Hornqvist but honestly, that's pretty much accurate.

I kind of thought that as well from my very limited viewings. (Hornqvist/Hagelin hybrid)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad