Prospect Info: C Filip Hållander, Timra IK

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hallander is a nice, get-it-done type two way center from Timra in the second tier of Swedish Men's Hockey. Filip is a great skater with a long and powerful stride, using it to power through with the puck and gain seperation. He's an agile and balanced skater, however he could stand to improve his first few steps. Hallander has a nice wrister with some good power, although he could work on his release. He's got some soft ands and good passing skill to go along with some good hockey IQ. Hallander plays a very simple game and prefers to play a safe and dummed down game, not over-extending or going for top plays. Hallander is a very hard working defensive player who back-checks hard and will battle as well as collect turnovers to help his team. Hallander should be around 2-3 years away from NHL play, but his strong work ethic should be useful and he should see himself as a safe 3rd line center or winger depending on how he progresses. It's worth noting that two months before the combine, Hallander was listed at 5'11, but at the combine, Hallander clocked in at 6'2, a three inch jump!
Potential: Top 6 Center / Winger / Middle 6 Center/ Winger
Possibility: Likely
Source

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The first thing that that jumps out at you when you watch Hallander is the frenetic pace he’s able to play at. He’s pure thrash — aggressive, on beat, and in your face. It’s the kind of thing you don’t see enough in talented players. No, I don’t want them trying to act like Tom Wilson (nor is Hallander by any means dirty; just look at those penalty minute totals), but it’s refreshing to see a player just take what’s theirs.
Hallander has all the skills you want in a forward; great forechecker, works hard in high danger areas, fights for the slot, quick mitts, a good release, solid vision, and does it all with pace. He doesn’t have great acceleration, but his top speed is very good.
Hallander uses these well-rounded skills to open up lanes for his teammates. He’s very good at distributing the puck with forecheckers in his face — further emphasizing the relentless pace he plays with. He has quite a bit of Patric Hornqvist on him; he’s not afraid to park himself right in front of the goalie and take a few facewashes just to secure that extra whack at the puck in case it’s loose (or, if you watch his highlight reel below — not afraid to literally crash into the goalie).
More here

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Badly wants Nordgren with this pick but like Hallander too.

Two very good picks for the Pens. Happy so far.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Higher ceiling than Sundqvist or is he more likely to end up like him?

Seeing conflicting stuff about Hallander's ceiling - seen some say 3rd liner at most, seen some say top 6 forward, see some say he was a top round worthy guy. Can't compare their numbers as he was playing men's hockey this season and Sundqvist was playing U20s at the same age - so he is further along.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Seeing conflicting stuff about Hallander's ceiling - seen some say 3rd liner at most, seen some say top 6 forward, see some say he was a top round worthy guy. Can't compare their numbers as he was playing men's hockey this season and Sundqvist was playing U20s at the same age - so he is further along.

Apparently he played injured last year, so that could account for some of the conflicting reports.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Apparently he played injured last year, so that could account for some of the conflicting reports.

Could be, yeah.

Playing 40 games in a men's league as an injured 18 year old is pretty ballsy.

Also possible that growing 3 inches in a year didn't help his energy levels.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Absolutely ecstatic at the Pens’ draft performance with limited picks. Addressing areas of need with fast, skilled, smart, dependable players. This dude is still only 17!

Reactions: JBose7

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, at the moment, he's a full step ahead of Sundqvist in terms of where he could top out.
Some of those highlights were mostly him net fronting but he's got wheels, if you click on the vid i posted, it'll take you to a youtube playlist to see more of his speed.

He's a mix of Hags+Horny.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I really like this pick. A lot of good attributes. Plus, any time you have a chance to take a guy with similarities to Horny, you do it.

It seems like the middle six projections are more accurate. We wouldn't trade up into the 2nd for a guy whose ceiling is a bottom sixer.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Sounds like a little less dskilled Patrick Berglund. I like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Worth noting that Craig Button had him at #21 on his final list, ahead of some other really good and more highly drafted prospects. Every scout has their own views of course, but I've come to realize that Button is very good and has nailed some guys on his list that he had in his top 10 (or higher) that went way later. Recent examples would include Boeser and Kyle Connor.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-svechnikov-solidifies-hold-on-second-spot-1.1103996

Holy hell it's a pain just to quote messages here...

I think JR and the scouts did very well with taking 2 guys in the 2nd that were ranked very high compared to where they fell, in a lot of pre-draft lists. I'm happy with who the team picked up overall.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
As I just posted on the Addison thread, The Hockey News Draft special magazine had Filip at 43 and his "Best case" is Nick Bonino

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He's a mix of Hags+Horny.

If he gets anywhere close to that good, this was a home run pick. Seen this too many times to get excited about it but hopefully he continues to grow and develop his game. Wonder if next year he'll have a bit of a drop due to the massive growth spurt this spring. Sometimes that can throw off a kid's stride / make them a bit less fluid on their skates but either way plenty of time to see how he develops. Assume he'll stay in Sweden for a couple more years.

Reactions: 99664987

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if the knee injury affected his play?

How long was he injured for?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is an interesting pick. Sounds like a project of sorts, but has some potential to be a good 2C or a great 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->