C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If you account for the games he’s missed, he’d be on pace to finish 25 points ahead of the 2nd leading scorer on his team.

The season he’s had is rare at any level. It’s hard to explain. Normally, you’d look at linemates carrying him or something like that...but there’s nothing like that.

He had a great season in SWE-1 last year as a rookie, with 41points...he will probably end up surpassing that, jumping up a league, by 20 points. No one saw that coming.
Except Jim "The Lazy Eagle Eye" Benning!

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, it would only be a bad example by expecting him to produce at Gretzky levels. Which nobody expects because he has never been nearly as dominant at any stage as Gretzky.
The comment was related to size and strength limitations-- which didn't stop Gretzky from being utterly historic in the NHL just as he was utterly historic at every previous level, and won't stop Pettersson from being a very good player in the NHL.
I think that it would be a bad example with regards to either expectation.

It would only make sense to frame an argument this way if you were saying that size and strength has no bearing on the ability of a player to be effective at the NHL level. We know that this isn't the case. The degree that players are able to produce at lower levels is not proportional to their ability to produce at higher levels. It gets exponentially (not linearly) tougher the less IQ you have to make up for it. You can't really accurately scale Gretzky's ability to do it with Pettersson's expected ability to do it, simply on the basis that the reason it might be an obstacle is similar.

A lack of size and strength is a huge mountain to climb and can turn gifted hockey players into useless ones at the NHL level. The outrageous tools and extreme caliber of skill/IQ that Gretzky has is a huge part of what allows him to be completely unaffected by that obstacle, so unless Pettersson has tools of the same caliber, the fact that Gretzky can do it easily is kind of an irrelevant point to bring up (other than as evidence that it's technically possible). Especially when there are players with comparable body types AND skill level to Pettersson that were able to overcome a lack of size/strength, who would be significantly more meaningful indicators of what is realistic for him to do.

Again, I agree with the conclusion, I just think the reasoning is bad.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
His skating looked pretty darn good in that breakaway goal clip.

I was of the mind that we shouldn't be expecting him to come in and automatically be a good top 6 guy next year but at this point its hard to imagine him not contributing in the NHL next year.

I'm excited! bring on the draft lottery so our #5 pick can be confirmed, then we can move on to the draft & next season!

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Seeing someone you have met once in a while since he was a kid go out there and break records is kind of crazy.
Imagine if Vancouver gets lucky and drafts Dahlin as well... scary good young group of players

Would give us:

Rasmus Dahlin
Bo Horvat
Brock Boeser
Elias Pettersson
Olli Juolevi
Adam Gaudette
Jonathan Dahlen
Kole Lind
Thatcher Demko
Jake Virtanen

All under 23 years old. Hutton and Stecher are 24 and 23.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
He didn't even made it to the olympic roster where there were no NHLers. I am not arguing he shouldn't be there, but it would seem odd that they pick him this time around with higher competition for the spots.
The national team is a lot about paying your dues and loyalty. This time around I think they are more inclined to add Pettersson to the roster since they were so heavily criticised after the Olympic failure. The main criticism was the reasoning behind Dahlins limited role which was not well received by many and I believe the brass are a bit shaken.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
He didn't even made it to the olympic roster where there were no NHLers. I am not arguing he shouldn't be there, but it would seem odd that they pick him this time around with higher competition for the spots.

Yeah, thats the logic take on this, but we can throw logic out the window with Grönborg, so anything is possible.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Do people really doubt he'll play in the NHL next year? It really seeems like he should be the Calder favorite right now next year. Putting up .5 ppg as a 19 year in the SHL or Liiga is an impressive feat in my opinion but this guy is leading the entire league in scoring! Looks like he could be the best forward produced by Sweden in a long time.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
if this guy is not on the world championship i will get pissed off.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Did your original post have a point? Unlikely.

My point was nothing, it was a joke, I thought it was pretty obvious, about he is not good enough since he is still do not have the best PPG, and for that I get issults. Unlikely? maybe ask in a polite maner if you do not understand.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He's right, his point is sound, and nothing about it comes across as taking anything too seriously.
You're being defensive without having any reasonable point of contention here.

Edit: Btw, I'm trying to figure out which curse word has 6 letters and ends with an 'e'.

What is his point, he just made a issult towards me for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad