C Dylan Larkin (2014, 15th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Red Line's blurb from their mock draft reads more like a love letter:

"This is a classy, traditional playmaking centreman - just what the doctor ordered for the Wings," was the scouting report on the mock draft. "Smart, dependable, makes the right plays at the right time, and can play the way the Red Wings like to approach the game."

"We're suckers for silky smooth pivots who create tons of chances and make their linemates better," Red Line Report said. "Really fluid skater with a great edge who accelerates out of his cuts. Has such deceptive speed that he's able to glide past defenders effortlessly – gains the zone easily and forces defenders to back in off at the blue line and give up too much ice. Has a knack for holding onto the puck that extra split second to give wingers a chance to break free, then hits them with perfectly placed passes.

"Comes through with big plays at big moments and is productive with any linemates and in any role. Has soft hands, a terrific release and is naturally instinctive in all three zones. Reads well off his linemates and always knows where the play is headed. Strong two-way center is aware and responsible in the defensive end."

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
so what do people think of this pick? I think it was a no brainer for the wings to take him.

I'm curious about the physical side of his game, I've heard similar to Helm? So hes fast and will throw big hits with a bit of skill to his game? Hes got solid size right now already for the NHL

The White Death

Jun 21, 2007
South of Heaven
At first I thought this was a little early for him. The more I looked into it, the better I think the fit is.

The guy has nice skating ability which always translates and will get you a place as a bottom six pivot if your offensive game doesn't translate.

He scored plenty of goals last year and would probably have had a lot more total points if he didn't have to play behind that Eichel scrub :laugh: (they are only 3 or so months apart in age)

If the guy can carry the puck and make decent passes he could be a nice solid two-way complement in the future to a guy like Mantha, who likes to dish the puck and then get to the open scoring areas.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
so what do people think of this pick? I think it was a no brainer for the wings to take him.

I'm curious about the physical side of his game, I've heard similar to Helm? So hes fast and will throw big hits with a bit of skill to his game? Hes got solid size right now already for the NHL

It's a good pick. He was on my short list for Minnesota at #18.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
The Leafs had him right behind Nylander and Ehlers, they were going to trade down to get him if those two were not there.

I think this is a great pick. I think he could have a bigger impact than Mantha at the next level.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What puts Larkin ahead is the way he approaches the game. From what I've seen he creates a lot of things without the puck. He constantly moves his feet, causes a lot of turnovers. He seems really determined to help make things easier for his teammates by creating space in the offensive/neutral zone or backchecking really hard to support the defensemen. Milano may have a greater offensive upside but Larkin looks effective overall.

If Mike Babcock is still around he will absolutely love this kid based off this description. For this reason I can see this kid having a relatively quick journey to the NHL, especially if he has a strong year at Michigan. Two years of NCAA, one year of AHL and into the NHL is a possible trajectory for this kid

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
At first I wasn't thrilled with this pick, because I felt it was a little too safe. The more I read and hear about Larkin though, the more I really like this pick. He sounds like a guy that could be the perfect complimentary center to some good offensive scoring wingers. A guy that could create space for guys like Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar, and Jurco in the offensive zone, win lose pucks, and cover for them on defense. As long as he can be an effective cycler and a decent passer, I think he will compliment the Wings glut of offensive minded wingers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think he might be saying that Milano will be better

I personally rather have Larkin. He seems like a Patrice Bergeron/Mike Richard/Ryan Kelser kind of center. I think when people draft they want that next Kane or Stamkos or Girioux, but chances are you are more likely to find a very good 2nd line player then a All Star Forward where Detroit was picking.

Picking Milano and hoping he ends up that All Star wing is much less likely then Larkin fulfilling his potential. I was actually surprised a team that isn't looking for center didn't pick Larkin myself(Nashville and Phoenix and even Washington basically)

From a Detroit perspective I also like the fact he is a home town(well state) boy. it's always nice when teams have a little hometown flavor.

OVOXO*

Wanted to get another 1st round pick for him. Damn, going to be a beast.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Was a bit meh about this pick at first but now I like it a lot. Not sure if it's just wings fans hyping him up after a depressing free agency though.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Feels like a new Filppula, defensively good, some offensive upside, and will drive Wings fans nuts on the 'when will he breakout' talk.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I watched some videos of him and he's a much better skater than Filppula and is more in-your-face defensively. He's a puck hound and always makes things happen with and without the puck. Unless you are talking about his offense? Too early to tell.

Also, because he will get a lot of PK time, I could see him having the potential to being a premier short-handed goal scorer in the league some day.

Filppula to me was more of a complimentary bubble player to have on the team, but never anyone you could count on stepping up in critical situations or games. Larkin seems more like a lead-by-example player that wins you championships.

However, at the end of the day, he's a prospect and prospects bust every day. So I am not going to get my hopes up too high just yet. But I do like his upside potential. He has the tools, skating. hockey IQ and heart to possibly be the face of the franchise you build a NHL team around. And the guy who could possibly lead Detroit to more Stanley Cups. Here's to hoping he has a big year in college!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I watched some videos of him and he's a much better skater than Filppula and is more in-your-face defensively. He's a puck hound and always makes things happen with and without the puck. Unless you are talking about his offense? Too early to tell.

Also, because he will get a lot of PK time, I could see him having the potential to being a premier short-handed goal scorer in the league some day.

Filppula to me was more of a complimentary bubble player to have on the team, but never anyone you could count on stepping up in critical situations or games. Larkin seems more like a lead-by-example player that wins you championships.

However, at the end of the day, he's a prospect and prospects bust every day. So I am not going to get my hopes up too high just yet. But I do like his upside potential. He has the tools, skating. hockey IQ and heart to possibly be the face of the franchise you build a NHL team around. And the guy who could possibly lead Detroit to more Stanley Cups. Here's to hoping he has a big year in college!

If this were true he wouldn't have been drafted 15th, he would have been drafted first overall.

RomersWorld*

Before the draft I didn't know anything but now after reading an article I know everything!!!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

At first I wasn't thrilled with this pick, because I felt it was a little too safe. The more I read and hear about Larkin though, the more I really like this pick. He sounds like a guy that could be the perfect complimentary center to some good offensive scoring wingers. A guy that could create space for guys like Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar, and Jurco in the offensive zone, win lose pucks, and cover for them on defense. As long as he can be an effective cycler and a decent passer, I think he will compliment the Wings glut of offensive minded wingers.

As a Jets fan I was warming up to the idea we would take Larkin and I was fine with that pick at #9. To me he screamed Jets pick. We like to take high character, high IQ, high skill risers and that is what I see in Larkin. He is described as a "heart and soul" type and I think he will fit the wings like a glove.

ISS and one other group both had his comparable as Ryan O'Reilly and I think he is a slightly speedier version of that.

Love this pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad