Prospect Info: (C) David Gustafsson (2018, 60th overall pick)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He didn't look slow to me from the little I've seen of him ? he seems to be keeping up with the play -- but you could be right ? I'll have to watch him a bit more closely, but he's getting limited ice time.

I notice he gets some nice shots on net, and when Appleton comes back, this will help that line. I'd like to see more of this guy.

There was one really obvious play last night. He was in the O zone. IDK who it was but a Preds player got the puck behind Gus and he tried to catch him. It was the Tortoise and the Hare, except the tortoise lost by a lot. He keeps up when guys aren't going full speed or when they are weaving back and forth. But he is easy to leave behind.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Well I don't know why the **** they're keeping him with the Jets for 4 minutes a night, then...I mean, why not send him to the Moose and get some minutes in a bigger role? How the hell is this a proper way to develop a 19 year old player?

4th line has been a problem for most of the time PoMo has coached the Jets (before him it was largely a problem because the team didn't have 4 lines' worth of talent, IMO). He rarely seems to "trust" any combo enough to play them more then a few mins a night, and the cascade effect of this mistrust is to overload the first line (and sometimes others) as the 4th line sits on the bench or plays one shift in the 3rd.

I don't get it. We have the talent for 4 strong lines, even with recent injuries, and possible combos are everywhere on this board, and many of them look feasible as hard-to-play-against lines with some upside. What's the downside? I can imagine Gus being a good fit with a pair of speedy wingers, but he's going nowhere with Luoto and MIA Shaw. Maddening.

Reactions: Mbraunm
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Expect a lot of "you know", "it's a process", and him rambling on for several minutes and not really answering the question :sarcasm: :laugh:

While it's true Chevy says a lot without ever saying anything, this is generally in regards to things he and the organization have decided are off limits to discuss.

Anyways even if the context of a particular Euro out clause must remain a secret (and I don't know why they would be), that's not what the issue is.

This is a rather cut & situation with no need for veiled secrecy. Sweeping rules that "every Finnish player under 21 drafted after the first round must be returned to his Liiga Team with no exceptions" has been touted by quite a few as fact for some time now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
4th line has been a problem for most of the time PoMo has coached the Jets (before him it was largely a problem because the team didn't have 4 lines' worth of talent, IMO). He rarely seems to "trust" any combo enough to play them more then a few mins a night, and the cascade effect of this mistrust is to overload the first line (and sometimes others) as the 4th line sits on the bench or plays one shift in the 3rd.

I don't get it. We have the talent for 4 strong lines, even with recent injuries, and possible combos are everywhere on this board, and many of them look feasible as hard-to-play-against lines with some upside. What's the downside? I can imagine Gus being a good fit with a pair of speedy wingers, but he's going nowhere with Luoto and MIA Shaw. Maddening.
We don't have the talent for a strong 4th line with our current injuries. Once Lits and Appleton are back sure, but not currently.

Reactions: GNP

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I hope he goes back to Sweden and is asked to play a more offensive game. Then back to Canada and the Moose next season. If he can develop a Copp-like offensive game, he will be an important contributor in the bottom six for the Jets in the future.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I believe he was cut. At least I know one Finn from the Jets was cut, it could be Virtanen instead?
I believe Virtanen is too old to play, so it must have been Nikkanen. That's unfortunate, he's been doing well in the U20 league, less so in Liiga.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What do the Jets do with Gus now?
Does he come back to the Jets?
Play in Europe?
Play with the Moose?
I'd like to see him play for the Moose for awhile.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
What do the Jets do with Gus now?
Does he come back to the Jets?
Play in Europe?
Play with the Moose?
I'd like to see him play for the Moose for awhile.

I'd also love to see him in a Moose uniform for the rest of the season, providing it doesn't lead to attitude problems (cough,Niku,cough) when he realizes that he's still going to have to mature a lot to play in the big league next year.

Reactions: Channelcat

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think it's the best thing for him right now with Shore on the team. I was surprised to see him make the team to be honest but didn't dislike his game, especially for a rookie.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He's ready to play and contribute in his role. The question is if the coach will see it the same way.
Oh, shush. Our coach has an eye for talent. He would never hold anyone back in the name of playing veterans. The only way Gus sits is if he isn’t ready, because if he’s good to go, he’ll obviously play. What’s the point of calling him up just to eat popcorn, right? …right??

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He's ready to play and contribute in his role. The question is if the coach will see it the same way.

Well now that we've been assured that the reason for 55's slack play this year is a mysterious charley horse that he's heroically been fighting through, perhaps there's a role for Gus at last as a smart, responsible playdriving natural centre who wins face-offs, is a special teams ace and never, ever, ever gives up on a play or a game -- and has long had great chemistry with Ves. And the guy can even play more than 3-4 mins per game without a few days' rest, and moves easily between time zones without leaving his brain 2-3 hours behind.

Will he play? Will he earn the coach's trust in under a year? If he does play well will he be rewarded by getting fewer minutes on a worse line?

Only time will tell in the great, angry, weepy soap that is the Jets 2021-22 season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad