C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wronskian

Mar 15, 2012
Is it reasonable to expect him to turn Erie into a playoff team? Is he that much of a game breaker? Definitely exciting with all the great young forward talent in the CHL next year (McDavid, Ho-Sang, Mackinnon, Virtanen). I'd love to see if anyone who has watched these guys rank these players.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Is it reasonable to expect him to turn Erie into a playoff team? Is he that much of a game breaker? Definitely exciting with all the great young forward talent in the CHL next year (McDavid, Ho-Sang, Mackinnon, Virtanen). I'd love to see if anyone who has watched these guys rank these players.

He wouldn't be able to turn Erie around single handidly, but since only 2 teams miss the playoffs I could see them making it, but it won't be only because of McDavid.

And it's not like he's going to put up 100 points and save the day. Probaby a bit less than Tavares had when he came in, not because McDavid isn't as good but because scoring in the OHL isn't as high as it was then.

Also, are we even sure McDavid will report to Erie? I know Ho-Sang said he would go anywhere but we haven't heard anything from McDavid. Erie is a decent organization but with how many kids say they'll only go to Windsor/London/Kitchener/Ottawa it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not expecting it. Just wondering if it's even a possibilty.

Eamonn*

He wouldn't be able to turn Erie around single handidly, but since only 2 teams miss the playoffs I could see them making it, but it won't be only because of McDavid.

And it's not like he's going to put up 100 points and save the day. Probaby a bit less than Tavares had when he came in, not because McDavid isn't as good but because scoring in the OHL isn't as high as it was then.

Also, are we even sure McDavid will report to Erie? I know Ho-Sang said he would go anywhere but we haven't heard anything from McDavid. Erie is a decent organization but with how many kids say they'll only go to Windsor/London/Kitchener/Ottawa it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not expecting it. Just wondering if it's even a possibilty.

Why do players get to choose where they play? Wouldn't that just make tons of teams stacked?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Why do players get to choose where they play? Wouldn't that just make tons of teams stacked?

As much as I hate it and have been verbal about it, it's just the unwritten politics of CHL hockey. :shakehead

EDIT: See Nathan MacKinnon and Drakkar, Gabriel Landeskog and Plymouth, etc.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

And Erie was the team that had to suit up a forward as a goaltender this season :laugh:

They are in pretty miserable shape.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Not saying I think it's right, even though my team definitely benefits from it, but it's because some organizations just don't have a good track record among other things.

Tiger1992 usually has some good posts on the issue.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Not saying I think it's right, even though my team definitely benefits from it, but it's because some organizations just don't have a good track record among other things.

Usually kids like to play close to home or in Landeskog's case he was already grooming a good relationship with Kitchener's head coach.

On a very unrelated note I wish Rimouski had gotten MacKinnon. :(

I can guarantee that Erie will talk to McDavid and his family prior to the draft to see what his position is on playing for them... I bet Erie would be fine trading away that pick for a king's ransom.

But to be honest McDavid seems like a pretty humble kid from the interviews I've read. I bet he'll be in Erie next year.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Mcdavid have to report to Erie to play in the OHL next year as part of a provision in the exceptional status agreement?

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto

Because they are kids and want to grow up with their friends and family. These aren't 18-19 year olds, they are 14-15-16 year olds. They want to stay in the same high school or stay close to their parents. Especially if they have a legit shot at the NHL, where they will most likely be away from friends and family for long periods of time.

I thought it was he has to get drafted 1st overall but he can get traded after that.

They definitely don't have to be picked 1st overall. They can be drafted wherever.

Hockey Canada has never explictly said what the stipulations about being granted exceptional player status are but people connected to the CHL have said in the past that one of them is that the player has to report to the team who has his rights if he wants to play this season.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
According to the otters radio broadcaster and head of public relations it is required a player granted exceptional status be drafted first overall. He may have been wrong but he is highly knowledgeable and seemed certain on this issue.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Mcdavid have to report to Erie to play in the OHL next year as part of a provision in the exceptional status agreement?

Yup your correct as an agreement with the exceptional status the player must report to the team that drafts him. In this case only players are not able to manipulate the draft. If he doesn't report to Erie, he cannot play on any other team in the OHL. That said he has played fantastic all year and I'm sure he's excited just to get the opportunity to play in the league.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Erie has lots of young players and some really good pieces right now (Pelech, Brown, Williams). Adding this guy and some other young prospects and some other players over the offseason and you could see this team in the playoffs next season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
McDavid doesn't seem like the player that would request a move like MacKinnon. Landeskog was a European player coming over so I give him benefit of the doubt.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

McDavid doesn't seem like the player that would request a move like MacKinnon. Landeskog was a European player coming over so I give him benefit of the doubt.

He had already forged a relationship with Kitchener's head coach.

The import draft is a shady thing already.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Yup your correct as an agreement with the exceptional status the player must report to the team that drafts him. In this case only players are not able to manipulate the draft. If he doesn't report to Erie, he cannot play on any other team in the OHL. That said he has played fantastic all year and I'm sure he's excited just to get the opportunity to play in the league.
That's not what the Otters say:
GoErieHockey OTTERS UPDATE: OHL VP Ted Baker says the Otters aren't required to pick McDavid #1; McDavid isn't required to report to team that picks him.
http://twitter.com/GoErieHockey/status/182492319164018688

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Albeit he does have about half the points Tavares did when he was coming out of the GTHL

McDavid at 14/15 - 33+39=72 in 33 (2.18 ppg)
Tavares at 13/14 - 91+67=158 in 72 (2.19 ppg)

Wait.. hold on... why did McDavid play 33 games but Tavares play 72?

Those are probably just the stats for McDavids regular season. Whereas Tavares' include tournaments as well.

As much as I hate it and have been verbal about it, it's just the unwritten politics of CHL hockey. :shakehead

EDIT: See Nathan MacKinnon and Drakkar, Gabriel Landeskog and Plymouth, etc.

Or how Matt Duchene got to Brampton, ;).

I think that's exactly it, and more than just a bad track record of W's and L's.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca

Erie will definitely make the playoffs. This team has a lot of very good, young players, but more importantly these players have an OHL season under their belts.

You look at guys they acquired in trades (Dane Fox and Troy Donnay) as well as guys like Adam Pelech, Connor Brown, Liam Maaskant, and a very good goaltender in Devin Williams and they have a very good nucleus for next season.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Those are probably just the stats for McDavids regular season. Whereas Tavares' include tournaments as well.
Hmm... I don't know about that because EliteProspects is very very very strict about Statistics reporting.

Or how Matt Duchene got to Brampton, ;).

Humble Ryan O'Reilly was drafted #1 overall and drudged out to North Western Pennsylvania to play for an American team in a small town. This kid is legit.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Hmm... I don't know about that because EliteProspects is very very very strict about Statistics reporting.

Thats exactly it.

Teams forward stats to the OHL for their proirity selection media kit. Once that is released next week you will see McDavid's total stats, including playoffs, tournament and exhiition games. Thats where Tavares' stats came from, and where you will see McDavid's stats came from. I saw McDavid play at least 30 games this year, and that was not close to his total.

Both McDavid and Tavares played roughly the same amount of games in minor midget, just waiting on the final points total from the Marlboros.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Thats exactly it.

Teams forward stats to the OHL for their proirity selection media kit. Once that is released next week you will see McDavid's total stats, including playoffs, tournament and exhiition games. Thats where Tavares' stats came from, and where you will see McDavid's stats came from. I saw McDavid play at least 30 games this year, and that was not close to his total.

Both McDavid and Tavares played roughly the same amount of games in minor midget, just waiting on the final points total from the Marlboros.

Ah alright. So next week his statistics will be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad