C Connor Bedard - Regina Pats, WHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Is he the first guy we've heard of for 2023? I think so. All the best to him, will be interesting to see how he does as time goes on.

Reactions: Dominance

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Is he the first guy we've heard of for 2023? I think so. All the best to him, will be interesting to see how he does as time goes on.
Adam Fantilli is another, late born 04 seen as the best 04 in Ontario after Wright

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
His name is one letter off of beard. I bring this up only because we are talking about him before he's able to grow one.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Especially in a high school league/program that isn't renown in any sort of way. Like why? Why do that to the kid?
CSSHL is the top program in western Canada and Bedard smoked everyone in goals as a 1st yr bantam.

Bedard is doing things we haven't seen for a while. This man should get exceptional status.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
CSSHL is the top program in western Canada and Bedard smoked everyone in goals as a 1st yr bantam.

Bedard is doing things we haven't seen for a while. This man should get exceptional status.

Savoie didn't get exceptional status can't see the WHL changing it for this guy even though he is very skilled and looks extremely promising.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Savoie didn't get exceptional status can't see the WHL changing it for this guy even though he is very skilled and looks extremely promising.

The dub needs to rid themselves of the awful bantam draft and go to midget like a sensible league would.. Why on earth does it make sense to draft players who still can't really suit up (more than a couple games) for another 1.5 years? It doesn't make sense for the teams or players IMO.

Reactions: Huck Cheever

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The dub needs to rid themselves of the awful bantam draft and go to midget like a sensible league would.. Why on earth does it make sense to draft players who still can't really suit up (more than a couple games) for another 1.5 years? It doesn't make sense for the teams or players IMO.

fully agree on this point and it would be better for the teams to get a more finished product as well.

although I do love to see how some of the elite guys do when called up at 15.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Alot more factors that you're not aware of (politics with Hockey Canada). Savoie is in Winnipeg as a 15 yr old this year anyway.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Alot more factors that you're not aware of (politics with Hockey Canada). Savoie is in Winnipeg as a 15 yr old this year anyway.

Just to add to this I think Sean Day has f***ed it up for a lot of kids.

Well, not fair to put the blame on him, but rather hockey Canada for not seeing there wasn't a lot there.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Savoie went first overall as expected and he still doesn't have an exemption and will only play a limited number of games under the current rules.

The politics with Hockey Canada are also not a secret.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Savoie went first overall as expected and he still doesn't have an exemption and will only play a limited number of games under the current rules.

The politics with Hockey Canada are also not a secret.
Savoie is playing all year, they're using a loophole in the rules re: emergency call up.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just to add to this I think Sean Day has ****ed it up for a lot of kids.

Well, not fair to put the blame on him, but rather hockey Canada for not seeing there wasn't a lot there.

There was a lot there as a 14-15 year old, though. His problem was IQ, and that's the hardest thing to see in a 14 year old bantam player who is skating circles around everybody.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Just to add to this I think Sean Day has ****ed it up for a lot of kids.

There used to be a requirement that the player who was going for ES would go 1st overall - when John McFarland was denied the reasoning was that GMs didnt peg him as the surefire 1st overall pick so he clearly wasn't exceptional enough.

Apparently that was thrown out the window for Day and we saw 3 teams pass on him. Coincidence he ended up the worst of any play granted? Or maybe he just wasn't on the level of the others.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
I'm only generally familiar with the WHL rules on this. Do you have a source?
Gavin Lee wrote an article. "Emergency call ups" loophole is what they'll use. Stankoven played over 5 games with that rule but it's expected Savoie will play 40-50.

Savoie's a January 1 birth, Hockey Canada shouldve made the exception.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Gavin Lee wrote an article. "Emergency call ups" loophole is what they'll use. Stankoven played over 5 games with that rule but it's expected Savoie will play 40-50.

I read the article and it's a rumor time will tell I guess.

Matthew Savoie Signs With Winnipeg Ice

I'm kinda peeved though as the Ice don't visit BC so I won't get a chance to see him live.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I read the article and it's a rumor time will tell I guess.

Matthew Savoie Signs With Winnipeg Ice

I'm kinda peeved though as the Ice don't visit BC so I won't get a chance to see him live.
Depending on where in BC you are, such as Van, it is probably easier to see him in Everett or Seattle than if he was playing in Vic, Kelowna, Kamloops or Prince George. The only other WHL team closer is obviously the Giants.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

What's the greatest number of games in a season an underage kid has played using this rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad