C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Voting must’ve been done before the gold medal game - D'aigle and Team Canada Red got lit up.
They still made it to the final and it's no surprise that the US easily beat one-third of Team Canada. Catton and D'Aigle still had an excellent tournament and absolutely deserve this. Plus, I'm sure they wanted to balance it out and not have an All-American Team.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Spokane definitely isn't making the playoffs but Berk is having a good year with not much around him. Will be interesting if they bring him to the u18s, imagine they will.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

Spokane definitely isn't making the playoffs but Berk is having a good year with not much around him. Will be interesting if they bring him to the u18s, imagine they will.

“Not much around him” applies to the team overall, but he’s playing 90% of his minutes with Bertholet and the two have had great chemistry this year. Cheveldayoff has been a surprisingly strong complementary piece. It’s not the same as playing for a top team, but it also isn’t like Catton is carrying a couple of replacement level players.

All that said, he’s been extremely impressive and helping Bertholet just as much as Bertholet is helping Catton.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Hes the guy I want for MTL this year. We are stacked at D and I dont feel like we will be bad enough to get a top 3 pick (Celebrini, Eiserman or Demidov). Mind you, Catton might turn out to be the best F of the bunch by the end of the year.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Hes the guy I want for MTL this year. We are stacked at D and I dont feel like we will be bad enough to get a top 3 pick (Celebrini, Eiserman or Demidov). Mind you, Catton might turn out to be the best F of the bunch by the end of the year.

A top 10 draft right winger with an advantageous physique would complete the missing piece on the offensive top 6 (Sennecke, Masse). A little disappointing Catton in his U17 season for a WHL No. 1. Gavin seems to have walked past him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he has the highest upside of any player in the 2024 draft.

He looks like a future top 10 NHL center sometimes.

But not often enough. Let's see how his season goes. Maybe he comes out flying at the Hlinka and turns in a dominant draft season. He has the ability for it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did anyone watch him today against Czechia?

On his day, he's unstoppable. He can absolutely take over a game.

My absolute favorite player in the 2024 draft as of now. He has the raw talent to be a superstar in the NHL.

All due respect to the others in the 2024 draft, if he plays to his potential all season, I don't think there's any debate who 1OA is. Hope he has a better supporting cast in Spokane this season than last season.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Did anyone watch him today against Czechia?

On his day, he's unstoppable. He can absolutely take over a game.

My absolute favorite player in the 2024 draft as of now. He has the raw talent to be a superstar in the NHL.

All due respect to the others in the 2024 draft, if he plays to his potential all season, I don't think there's any debate who 1OA is. Hope he has a better supporting cast in Spokane this season than last season.
He’ll certainly still be THE guy. On the bright side, he already got the most capable linemates and showed good chemistry on that line, so there’s a real possibility that he’ll once again spend most of the year with Cheveldayoff and Bertholet – only with the benefit that they’ll all be a year older and better.

When it comes to the supporting cast behind that line, it still isn’t looking great. They traded for Conner Roulette, which is great, but lost Tommaso De Luca and replaced him with an 06 import who isn’t on the Hlinka roster in Lukas Kral. A lot will depend on the other 06s taking a step in their sophomore year and the incoming 07s having a strong rookie year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He was a beast in one of my ea nhl runs and had over 1000 career pts so obviously he’s going to be a beast.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he keeps this up, he's going to 1OA on my rankings.

I want him to be 1OA because I believe if he hits his potential, he's the best player in the 2024 draft. However, it's hard to put him 1OA when he wasn't as good in his U17 season as any of the other candidates other than how he's played for Canada. You do wonder about a player being able to perform tremendously for their National Team, yet more in the decent category for their club team. That's what we saw from Slafkovsky, and it was a debate the whole season.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I want him to be 1OA because I believe if he hits his potential, he's the best player in the 2024 draft. However, it's hard to put him 1OA when he wasn't as good in his U17 season as any of the other candidates other than how he's played for Canada. You do wonder about a player being able to perform tremendously for their National Team, yet more in the decent category for their club team. That's what we saw from Slafkovsky, and it was a debate the whole season.
They could be playing with teammates closer to their abilities in international tournaments. Then there is Armia who shows up in tournaments but plays like shit in the NHL with similar talent.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

I really don’t think Eiserman or Celebrini or those guys would’ve looked any better in Spokane to be honest

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I really don’t think Eiserman or Celebrini or those guys would’ve looked any better in Spokane to be honest
When you look at the goalie stats for that team there's nobody that has a GAA under 4. Safe to say the Chiefs probably didn't spend alot of time in the offensive zone.

1690924088721.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, that's a fair take. I'm not sure I agree with it, but I've definitely thought about that. I just can't get past that he didn't even lead the team in scoring or even come close (14 points behind Bertholet in 4 less games). And Bertholet is essentially a nothing prospect, so Catton didn't have a ton of competition to lead the team in scoring. I get the three years age difference and circumstances and stuff that someone who follows the team closely could probably explain, but Celebrini led the whole USHL in scoring, and Eiserman was breaking NTDP records. He actually had a higher PPG than Hagens. We could continue on past Celebrini and Eiserman. Demidov won MHL player of the year. Levshunov was 4th among USHL defensemen in points.

All of this is to say, I'm open to the idea that circumstances explain how it's not as bad as it seems, but I think it's also true that at the club level he wasn't as good as these other guys in his U17 season.

Reactions: Dominance

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

What would be his tools/qualities that would make you put Catton in front of guys like Celebrini, Demidov, Eiserman?

I’ve seen him play but not enough yet to actually have a big opinion.

Reactions: JotAlan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad