C Auston Matthews - USNTDP, USHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, playing defense and actually trying is so lame.

Two things:

1. European leagues demand work ethic and two-way play, and North American players are usually more skilled, so the logic in the post you quoted is a bit off, even if you were being a bit sarcastic in response.

2. Bringing future stars into Europe to compete for a season or two sounds like a great way to grow the game abroad.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Two things:

1. European leagues demand work ethic and two-way play, and North American players are usually more skilled, so the logic in the post you quoted is a bit off, even if you were being a bit sarcastic in response.

2. Bringing future stars into Europe to compete for a season or two sounds like a great way to grow the game abroad.

1. NHL players are more skilled, yes. North American players in general don't have a reputation here in Sweden of being very skilled, almost the opposite actually. The Russians & Czechs do have that reputation.

2. Matthews isn't a name that's going to sell more tickets or help grow the game, most people have never heard about him or any other NA prospect. Hard core fans could get excited but they will attend games anyway.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If he never had any intentions of playing in the NCAA and always wanted to go to Europe, there was never any reason for him to finish high school.

That makes no sense. Most players want to finish their high school before pursuing a pro hockey career, there's life after and outside of hockey.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
He wants to play for ZSC and ZSC wants him.

But they have problems with the work permission... Athletes from abroad have to play one year in a professional league to get the permission before they can play in the Swiss league... NO COMMENT...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Hopefully this sets a new standard. Future stars heading to Europe to avoid the skill-suffocating, 2-way, work ethic idiocy of North American coaching.

...except for the fact that he'd be back in a year and playing under a "skill-suffocating, 2-way, work ethic idiocy" coach?

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
He wants to play for ZSC and ZSC wants him.

But they have problems with the work permission... Athletes from abroad have to play one year in a professional league to get the permission before they can play in the Swiss league... NO COMMENT...

Well, RIP my dreams of watching a top tier prospect live on a regular basis.

Zorkan

The rule may make sense for lesser talents, but for one of the best talents - if not the best talent of his age group - in the whole world, it is completely ridiculous.

Also, since the amount of imports per season is limited to an absolute number, why can't the teams just decide how to assign those licenses without the federal authorities having to to chip? I would understand the requirement if teams could hire an unlimited amount of imports, but the number of professional imports working in the Swiss NLA will not exceed 100.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He'll definetely get a 6 figure amount. Even 3th liners earn that much in Switzerland. I'd say he'll get something between 250 and 400k.

If he was going to get AHL money (or at least ELC AHL money) then I doubt he'd be giving Europe as much consideration.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
If he was going to get AHL money (or at least ELC AHL money) then I doubt he'd be giving Europe as much consideration.

Players make quite a bit more money in the NLA than the do in the AHL. I doubt money is the main reason he wants to play in Switzerland though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Players make quite a bit more money in the NLA than the do in the AHL. I doubt money is the main reason he wants to play in Switzerland though.

It's probably one of the major ones. Future NHLer or not, if you've got the opportunity to make 6 figures at 18, that's very tempting.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Those are six figure salaries you listed.
Oh my stupidity (i remember how in my head six figures meant one million+ eventough we use the exact same (translated) expression) :laugh:

Zorkan said:
Also, since the amount of imports per season is limited to an absolute number, why can't the teams just decide how to assign those licenses without the federal authorities having to to chip?
It's federal law on working permits, countries outside the EU/EFTA either need a treaty with Switzerland or the person in question needs to be a "qualified employee". This serves as a protection for the job-market against wage dumping.

In sports, "qualified employee" is defined as someone with at least one year as a professional. While i agree that it doesn't really make sense for hockey, because of the import and roster limit, we still have to acknowledge that the law serves its purpose in other sports (football as the obvious example).

According to this http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/38258 (german) it wouldn't be a problem if he were canadian, as they appear to have a treaty (Ryan O'Connor on HCD).

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He is more in Larkins category not even close to Eichel.

Don't let the stats fool you, 2 TOTALLY different styles of play. The #'s put up on the 1997 team are extremely over rated. A load of 5+ goal win with some at 10. basically , a lot of meaningless goals if there are such a thing.

If he goes to college, which I doubt, he will not put up #'s that Eichel did unless he ends up in Big 10 or lesser conference.

This is not a knock, Larkin is one heck of a player but Eichel is in another class.

Your hockey knowledge is extremely low if you think Matthews isn't in Eichels class.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Matthews is not in Eichel's class !

Look in the mirror and ask the question about knowledge.

He's going to be good but doesn't "think" the game anywhere Eichel does

Matthews is more on par with Larkin , just not as quick yet.

Not a knock on any of them, all 3 should have very good futures

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Um what? Matthews is a class or 2 ahead of Larkin. Really shouldnt even be a discussion. Larkin will never be a #1 center in the NHL, Matthews will...

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Brassard was right behind him with .75 ppg compared to stepans .80. So I mean he wasn't exactly a definitive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad