C Auston Matthews (2016, 1st, TOR) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
See Tavares, Bouwmeester, Seth Jones, Kessel, and Ovi (actually 20 due to the lockout). Yakupov and Ryan Murray would of been close (affected by the lockout). It is not that rare to 19 your entire draft +1 season. And I don't remember anyone referring to those guys as basically being in their draft +1 season.

None of these players had a year of pro hockey under them as Matthews has. Which I mentioned in my post. Ovi played in the NHL in his draft + 1 year, not his draft year. Tavares would be the best comparable. He was born on Sept 20, But he came straight out of the OHL. He didn't have the benefit of playing in a pro league prior to the NHL as a just drafted player. So the 2 situations are not comparable if you want to cite this as being a accurate comparison to my post.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
No it isn't. But being 19 before the season starts and ends is. I am just saying he is very well prepared to start the year. He doesn't need much filling out, he has a year of pro hockey under him and he has the talent. As I said, he is a NHL ready player that was just drafted.

Yeah, you raise a good point. Look at Laine - he played a year of pro like Matthews did, in a more competitive league. I know how high you are on Laine, maybe he'll outperform Matthews with the advantages he has. It will be interesting to watch.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eichel basically as well, (turned 19 oct, 28)

Calling it now, it's gonna be his and others go to excuse when Matthews outscores you know who next year.
I left the other late birthday's out who turned 19 within the first 6 weeks of the NHL season. Guys like P. Kane, Eichel, Draisaitl, Larsson, and Taylor Hall fall into that category.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
None of these players had a year of pro hockey under them as Matthews has. Which I mentioned in my post. Ovi played in the NHL in his draft + 1 year, not his draft year. Tavares would be the best comparable. He was born on Sept 20, But he came straight out of the OHL. He didn't have the benefit of playing in a pro league prior to the NHL as a just drafted player. So the 2 situations are not comparable if you want to cite this as being a accurate comparison to my post.
I guess Patrick Stefan should of had all the advantages in the world. Can't believe he didn't tear it up his rookie year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
See Tavares, Bouwmeester, Seth Jones, Kessel, and Ovi (actually 20 due to the lockout). Yakupov and Ryan Murray would of been close (affected by the lockout). It is not that rare to 19 your entire draft +1 season. And I don't remember anyone referring to those guys as basically being in their draft +1 season.

To be honest I do think of all the late birthdays as comparable to their birth years, it's not fair but they're never getting that year of nhl experience back. Of course I apply that as a blanket standard, not as a Mentalist special "backhanded compliment to simultaneously raise expectations and discredit accomplishments" of a chosen target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad