C Amadeus Lombardi - Flint Firebirds, OHL (2022, 113th, DET)

Oct 18, 2006
102 points, wow. What a season. The skill amd creativity on this kid is really exciting.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Just don’t get hurt. GR is a place this year where prospects go to get hurt for the year. Even Kasper who went to Detroit is done

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I really hope he translates his game as he moves up levels because he's so fun. I've seen him a ton this year and his draft year in juniors. Watched the Red Wings development camp scrimmage today and he was probably the best looking prospect there. His game really stands out on a 3v3 game though so don't want to hype him up too too much. Still despite his size he can forecheck really well, is involved in stealing pucks constantly, and can use his body to shield pucks. He tends to overhandle a bit, but his hands are excellent. His skating is good. His playmaking is above average. Something about him feels like he could be a surprise top 6 NHL forward someday.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Anyone watch this kid regularly? He seems to have really taken his game to another level since he was drafted. He’s not tall but not tiny at 5’11 but he’s only listed at 170lbs. He has speed and skill though. Does he have a legit shot to be a valuable NHL player? Id love to hear thoughts from someone who is familiar with his game.

Little positive press for him: Red Wings Found a Hidden Gem In Lombardi

Little 22-23 compilation:

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Anyone watch this kid regularly? He seems to have really taken his game to another level since he was drafted. He’s not tall but not tiny at 5’11 but he’s only listed at 170lbs. He has speed and skill though. Does he have a legit shot to be a valuable NHL player? Id love to hear thoughts from someone who is familiar with his game.

Little positive press for him: Red Wings Found a Hidden Gem In Lombardi

Little 22-23 compilation:

Some of the other Wings fans actually have him penciled in as a top 6'er.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Some of the other Wings fans actually have him penciled in as a top 6'er.

In Grand Rapids.

I think Lombardi has steal potential but I'm not sure he'll for sure reach it. The kid is ultra talented and a waterbug out there. He's still really small though. Maybe middle 6, maybe top 6. I don't know yet.

Reactions: FriendlyGhost92

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In Grand Rapids.

I think Lombardi has steal potential but I'm not sure he'll for sure reach it. The kid is ultra talented and a waterbug out there. He's still really small though. Maybe middle 6, maybe top 6. I don't know yet.

One of those covid picks thats really hard to get a read on. If he played his draft year, maybe he would've been a first rounder and now everything hes doing would have him as a top 30 prospect in the league. Instead hes a fourth rounder, taken as an "overager" and he wont get hyped up.

Size is the biggest concern, and for a forward in todays NHL its not even that bad. Its just hard to get excited given where he was drafted

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
In Grand Rapids.

The excitement over Lombardi kinda reminds me of the excitement we used to get over guys like Mursak/Pulkkinen/Jurco etc. There's talent there, I just don't know that he's ever good enough to hit and stay in the NHL. As opposed to Mazur whose game almost certainly translates to the NHL.

It's weird though, because we used to pump those guys' tires when they were the best in our pool. Now our pool is way better and there's a handful+ guys that are better than Lombardi and we're still pumping tires.

I'm ready to be flamed for this take....

nourished-nourishedbyhatred.gif

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
One of those covid picks thats really hard to get a read on. If he played his draft year, maybe he would've been a first rounder and now everything hes doing would have him as a top 30 prospect in the league. Instead hes a fourth rounder, taken as an "overager" and he wont get hyped up.

Size is the biggest concern, and for a forward in todays NHL its not even that bad. Its just hard to get excited given where he was drafted

Maybe not first rounder in his draft year but I think there's a lot of similarities between what we saw in Lombardi's game when he was drafted and Gracyn Sawchyn who was drafted this year. Both terrific skaters, both great stickhandlers with a lot of offensive potential. Both pretty small. Both have big steal potential if they hit.

The excitement over Lombardi kinda reminds me of the excitement we used to get over guys like Mursak/Pulkkinen/Jurco etc.

There's talent there, I just don't know that he's ever good enough to hit and stay in the NHL.

It's weird though, because we used to pump those guys' tires when they were the best in our pool. Now our pool is way better and there's a handful+ guys that are better than Lombardi.

Mursak was never good enough at any single thing and had low hockey IQ. That was exposed at the NHL level and he's only been decent in the SHL. Pulkkinen was only good at one thing at the minor league level, his one-timer. When he went to the NHL that one thing was very mediocre. Also Lombardi is a better skater than both of them and it's not even close.

I get what you're saying though. The fact that Detroit picked Lombardi in the 4th and he's looking this good so far while still doing very well with their early round picks is making me very hopeful for the future of the team. It's still probably another 2-4 years away from fully being realized though.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Maybe not first rounder in his draft year but I think there's a lot of similarities between what we saw in Lombardi's game when he was drafted and Gracyn Sawchyn who was drafted this year. Both terrific skaters, both great stickhandlers with a lot of offensive potential. Both pretty small. Both have big steal potential if they hit.

Mursak was never good enough at any single thing and had low hockey IQ. That was exposed at the NHL level and he's only been decent in the SHL. Pulkkinen was only good at one thing at the minor league level, his one-timer. When he went to the NHL that one thing was very mediocre. Also Lombardi is a better skater than both of them and it's not even close.

I get what you're saying though. The fact that Detroit picked Lombardi in the 4th and he's looking this good so far while still doing very well with their early round picks is making me very hopeful for the future of the team. It's still probably another 2-4 years away from fully being realized though.
Oh there were definitely flaws in their game. I wasn't necessarily comparing playing style or talent level as much as just the concept that I feel like sometimes we (And every fan base, really) fall in love with a prospect and blow them up to more than what they are.

FWIW, I think Lombardi has a high ceiling. I just think it's highly unlikely he gets there. Which is what blows my mind about people calling him a surefire Top 6'er.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Oh there were definitely flaws in their game. I wasn't necessarily comparing playing style or talent level as much as just the concept that I feel like sometimes we (And every fan base, really) fall in love with a prospect and blow them up to more than what they are.

FWIW, I think Lombardi has a high ceiling. I just think it's highly unlikely he gets there. Which is what blows my mind about people calling him a surefire Top 6'er.

Also keep in mind that the 2008 to 2013 Wings were spiking the kool-aid. Local press articles were really pumping the tires of the scouting staff for those Holland drafts. (yuck) And I think the Wings staff were drinking their own kool-aid. I really don't think that the Wings developmental team in that era were very good and were a large part of the problem as well. Dick Axelsson, Johan Ryno, Daniel Larsson couldn't run away from Grand Rapids fast enough. I vaguely recall a negative interview from Grigorenko translated from Russian. Calle Jarnkrok also didn't seem happy there.

Detroit is hopefully well past those mistakes and guys like Mazur and Lombardi have a much better environment to develop in than in the past.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Similar thing with a few different players, Covid kept them sort of under the radar and hiddent from the spotlight of being a first round pick. Similar to Joshua Roy on the Habs or Wyatt Johnson with the stars it's likely that there will be a few "steals" from the Covid drafts, mainly because these guys will be able to go to the AHL without the fanbase knowing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad