C Alexander Khovanov - Metallurg Zhlobin, Belarus (2018, 86th, MIN released)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It seems to me that the Wild would have a more vested interest in his long term development than Bars Kazan. If he is going to be playing in the VHL, and is reported to have butted heads with management in Russia, you would think he would be better off in Iowa. It's not like he has to go through a cultural acclimatization if he comes back to NA.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah that would be ideal, but could we even do it this season?

We are for Ivan Lodnia, I suppose we could do the same for Khovanov. I guess the real question is: does he want to?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We are for Ivan Lodnia, I suppose we could do the same for Khovanov. I guess the real question is: does he want to?

I guess I forgot that Khovanov was loaned and still under contract with us. I would hope he'd want to. It's not like he's a stranger to NA, and he'd be playing in a better league, with the NHL being more accesible. How much does he get paid playing in the VHL? I know the AHL doesn't pay much, but I'd have to think it's not any worse than the VHL.

I don’t see why we couldn’t, but it doesn’t sound like AK Bars is planning on releasing him

If he's under contract with us and loaned out, does it matter if they want to or not?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Wouldn't be surprised if the Wild management just doesn't want to give him an AHL Top9 center roster spot (and the 4th line just won't work too good for him) this year, as there are some other C prospects in the system.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wouldn't be surprised if the Wild management just doesn't want to give him an AHL Top9 center roster spot (and the 4th line just won't work too good for him) this year, as there are some other C prospects in the system.

Well Bonino, Eriksson Ek, Sturm, Rask, Bjugstad will all be up with the NHL squad. After that it depends on whether or not Dewar will be played as a center or a wing. Rossi, if not in the NHL (which might bump Sturm down to the AHL), would be in the Swiss league. So his only competition for a top 9 center spot in Iowa, in terms of prospects, would be maybe Dewar.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It seems to me that the Wild would have a more vested interest in his long term development than Bars Kazan. If he is going to be playing in the VHL, and is reported to have butted heads with management in Russia, you would think he would be better off in Iowa. It's not like he has to go through a cultural acclimatization if he comes back to NA.
You want a head case back? You can have him.

He just can't cut it anyway.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That might benefit you, but not your team. Pretty egoistic decision then, isn't it?
It’s possible. But it’s also possible that it does benefit him. You cannot say definitively that it wouldn’t. I don’t know how much the VHL is benefiting him, either,

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It’s possible. But it’s also possible that it does benefit him. You cannot say definitively that it wouldn’t. I don’t know how much the VHL is benefiting him, either,
He barely started getting a grip in the VHL. Now you want him to move again. I can hardly see how this would benefit his development.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Direct control of the minutes he's getting and the situations that he's being placed in, would be benefits for us.
That belief just kills a lot of potential NHL teams have with their prospects. I know, the pipeline seems endless, but it is fairly ineffective with approches like this.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Khovanov's problem isn't talent, it's his head. Getting him into the AHL and with the Wild might be best for both.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Well Bonino, Eriksson Ek, Sturm, Rask, Bjugstad will all be up with the NHL squad. After that it depends on whether or not Dewar will be played as a center or a wing. Rossi, if not in the NHL (which might bump Sturm down to the AHL), would be in the Swiss league. So his only competition for a top 9 center spot in Iowa, in terms of prospects, would be maybe Dewar.

I thought Damien Giroux and Mason Shaw are also natural centers, who are projected to be in the Iowa lineup. And also there is Luke Johnson, who usually occupied a top9 center spot last season I think.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I thought Damien Giroux and Mason Shaw are also natural centers, who are projected to be in the Iowa lineup. And also there is Luke Johnson, who usually occupied a top9 center spot last season I think.

Mason Shaw you're actually right about. Damien Giroux I wouldn't anticipate being a threat. Luke Johnson should be a top 9 center, but Khovanov would likely still have a top 9 role.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Mason Shaw you're actually right about. Damien Giroux I wouldn't anticipate being a threat. Luke Johnson should be a top 9 center, but Khovanov would likely still have a top 9 role.

And also I forgot about Gabriel Dumont, I think he also mostly plays center. So even without Giroux I'd say it looks like Dumont, Johnson, Shaw and Dewar as a default center lineup + possibly Sturm (in case of Rossi) + Rau and Giroux in case of injuries. Imo, doesn't look like a lot of room for Khovanov at all, not to mention the Top9.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And also I forgot about Gabriel Dumont, I think he also mostly plays center. So even without Giroux I'd say it looks like Dumont, Johnson, Shaw and Dewar as a default center lineup + possibly Sturm (in case of Rossi) + Rau and Giroux in case of injuries. Imo, doesn't look like a lot of room for Khovanov at all, not to mention the Top9.

I don't think all of those are necessarily threats to Khovanov's time. He's generally considered a better prospect than, well, all of them. And quite a few of them would play wing. But you're not wrong, it does start to look tight. My personal belief is that Khovanov would be a lock for top 9 ice time, thus I would prefer to have him here, but management may decide he's not really needed this season, and prefer to keep him in the VHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad