C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Zegras could step in next year. I think he still needs to get stronger, but he could do it. The rest of the bunch definitely need another year

I'm not so sure of that, he would certainly need sheltered minutes in my opinion. More power to him though if he does.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Add byram too. Man they are going to be the best in the west.
And Timmins, Kaut, Annunen, and Bowers in there.

One of the better prospect pools, the best cap situation in the league, a young franchise-level 1C and 1D with well-suited young elite supporting pieces for each. If Grubauer decides he’s going to be good consistently, the Avalanche are set to be one of if not the top team in the league for years.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Donskoi
Burakovsky-Newhook-Rantanen
Jost-Kadri-Compher
Kaut-Bowers-Nichushkin
Kamenev, Beaucage, Ranta

Byram-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Graves-Johnson
Zhuravylov, Helleson

Grubauer
Annunen
Miner

Ridiculous. Don’t they have all their picks for this year, too?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Nope. No 2nd or 6th as of right now and they have Toronto's 3rd instead of our own. Burakovsky trade got rid of our 2nd and 3rd... But I mean with the way Bura has played you cant chalk that trade up as anything but a fabulous deal for us.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

One of the better prospect pools, the best cap situation in the league, a young franchise-level 1C and 1D with well-suited young elite supporting pieces for each. If Grubauer decides he’s going to be good consistently, the Avalanche are set to be one of if not the top team in the league for years.

Jost-Kadri-Compher
Kaut-Bowers-Nichushkin
Kamenev, Beaucage, Ranta

Byram-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Graves-Johnson
Zhuravylov, Helleson

Grubauer
Annunen
Miner

Defense is really good, top-end forwards are really good. Forward depth and goaltending would be the questions.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011

Jost-Kadri-Compher
Kaut-Bowers-Nichushkin
Kamenev, Beaucage, Ranta

Byram-Makar
Girard-Timmins
Graves-Johnson
Zhuravylov, Helleson

Grubauer
Annunen
Miner

Shame on you for forgetting Kovalenko

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
How has his season compared to that of Turcotte, Zegras, and Boldy?

I think the one thing you instantly know is those 3 came from the U18 Development squad together. And Ill be honest that team came into the NCAA thinking their crap didnt stink. Newhook didn't. They thought the success against games last year that NCAA dont care about meant they were going to have the same success.

Turcotte is a great prospect, but for me wisconsin is one of the biggest disappointments in college hockey. Dead last in the B1G 10 with a brutal on conference record, which if you don't watch college hockey are very important in the pairwise. Absolutely no reason they should be last considering turnover and talent. To me Turcotte is frustrated and it shows, He was the 3rd line center this weekend against penn state. I mean he hasn't scored a goal since like the beginning of November, and since the new year he is barely generating shots. I dont know what the F granato is doing in wisconsin he jumbles the lines everyday, he's made K'andre miller be a net front presence as a d-man and a bumper. But he is ttill doing the little things though like keeping his feet moving and is a great checker and competing hard.

With Boldy, a former NHL'er Ken Hodge is the color analyst for BC, and he put it like this, boldy was generating shots at the start of his NCAA career but they wren't really shots. They were from distance. Ill bet when him and coach sat him down during the break and they decided to switch him to wing to take something off his plate. Clearly worked. Plus I think being cut from U20 rosters has solid impact on prospects motivation. Now he isis getting into the hashmarks for scoring chances. Didnt do that at the start of the year.

Zegras is the most consistent, and he has been able to to show up in conference games and rivalry games. I love when guys show up in those games. I like that he competes below the goalline even though he is outmatched. Just needs to cut down on the misconduct penalties three so far, and retaliation penalties.

Last edited:

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Nope. No 2nd or 6th as of right now and they have Toronto's 3rd instead of our own. Burakovsky trade got rid of our 2nd and 3rd... But I mean with the way Bura has played you cant chalk that trade up as anything but a fabulous deal for us.

Avs have Florida's 6th from the Brassard trade last year according to CapFriendly, but yes, no 2nd this year.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Well I am sure glad that certain Avs fans didn't get their wish of trading him for Hall or another forward when he had his slow start. :D

Always have been a big fan of his but he has really caught me by surprise with how well he has transitioned from the BCHL to the NCAA.
Especially since they abandoned that stupid project of putting him on Boldys wing to start the year. Whoever had that idea needs to rethink a few things.

That said. BC as a whole has exploded and while Alex is a major factor in that, I still think he has things left to learn. I hope Sakic doesn't do what he loves to and rush him to the NHL quickly. Another year of him maybe taking over that #1 C role with BC and focussing more on the defensive side of the game could pay huge dividends down the line for both the Avs and Newhook. Throw in a huge role at the WJC and I hope that everyone stays patient even though its nuts how well things have been going for him lately.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Newhook is having a great freshman season but he's going to have to do a lot more to get close to Eichel's numbers.

Well ya, he wont actually come close to them because of his slow start when they played him on the wing.

But if he had started at 3C right from the get go I think theres a pretty good chance he's North of 40 points right now and possibly even at 45.

With 4 more games left to the regular schedule before playoffs and then probably at least 4 more playoff games for BC, I'd say he hits between 10-12 points in those games. So he might flirt with 50 on the year as is, had he not started so slow on the wing he could have hit 55-60.

Still a ways off Eichel and what he did for sure, but closer than anyone would have ever guessed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well I am sure glad that certain Avs fans didn't get their wish of trading him for Hall or another forward when he had his slow start. :D

Always have been a big fan of his but he has really caught me by surprise with how well he has transitioned from the BCHL to the NCAA.
Especially since they abandoned that stupid project of putting him on Boldys wing to start the year. Whoever had that idea needs to rethink a few things.

That said. BC as a whole has exploded and while Alex is a major factor in that, I still think he has things left to learn. I hope Sakic doesn't do what he loves to and rush him to the NHL quickly. Another year of him maybe taking over that #1 C role with BC and focussing more on the defensive side of the game could pay huge dividends down the line for both the Avs and Newhook. Throw in a huge role at the WJC and I hope that everyone stays patient even though its nuts how well things have been going for him lately.

Fully agree with this.

As much as I think the Newhook is going to look like a steal after his career is over he still needs more development.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
27 points in Jan & Feb, 18 games total. 19 points in 8 games in Feb alone. Since Newhook, Boldy & Hardman were put together on Feb 7th, the line has combined for 17 goals, 20 assists and 37 points. Pretty insane couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad