C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
i sure hope everybody but Minnesota thinks that way so hes available at #12. we really really need a potential #1 C and his speed is a bonus. i just hope we don't trade zucker so i can watch the 2 of them work their magic.
Zucker has his faults, but I sure hope we don't give him away. For a team than needs goal scoring and speed, losing him w/o getting similar qualities back would be stupid.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
i sure hope everybody but Minnesota thinks that way so hes available at #12. we really really need a potential #1 C and his speed is a bonus. i just hope we don't trade zucker so i can watch the 2 of them work their magic.

MIN is the most likely destination from most Mock Drafts. Newhook is too risky for Top 10, but right in the early to mid-teens.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
There is no chance he'll be a Top 10 pick and you should look at the comparable players.

If you’re picking between him and a player from the OHL/CHL/WHL/QMJHL,USHL or the European or Russian Super Leagues vs BCHL there is no comparison and loses any tiebreaker. He’s might seem to be a good prospect, but is he actually better than fellow BCHL alum Tyson Jost - two years ago? Jost statistically seems to be a better player with more points in fewer games. High IQ and strong defensively.

I like Newhook, but not Top 10. He is near the top of possibly the 3rd tier of Forward prospects.

1st - Hughes, Kakko.
2nd - Turcotte, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Krebs, Boldy and Caufield
3rd - Newhook, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Suzuki, Tomasino.

DMen - Byram & Soderstom

There are 10 Forwards considered better players and possibly 2 DMen (Broberg/York are possibilities) that would push him into the mid-teens.

However, you want to use different metrics BCHL is simply not a strong league. They need a longer transitional period to adjust into higher levels.

Most recently you can compare players from the league and their NHL success. Jost was better statistically and defensively was drafted at 10th OA and continues to struggle. Disappointing for such a high pick, but still young and the AVs remain patient with his progress. Kyle Turris is likely the best player from the BCHL with substantially higher BCHL numbers and most comparable. Turris averages nearly 50 point seasons, but given his struggles with NSH might be more suited to 3C or borderline 2C. He was drafted 3rd OA, a poor return for a player selected so high.

There are certainly 12 players ahead of him. BCHL is a weak league and it's his decision to choose the easier path, but the lower competition cannot be ignored. Comparable players from the league Turris/Jost are not exactly outperformed players drafted after them. Thus, supporting their high BCHL numbers were significantly inflated and they haven't translated to NHL success.

I'm guessing he will be selected by MIN or believe 12-18 range.
Cozens doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Turcotte, let alone the same tier.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Drafting a player based on inferior competition is a risk.

There are some warnings that has kept his stock down. He’s from the east coast - NFLD and travelled through ON and eventually BC (west coast) to only play in lower leagues.

Nearby, QC has the most hockey leagues in NA at all levels and skipped them?
For someone so young, this is a troubling decision to play so far from home away from family and friends. Scouts would consider this strange path negatively which is likely the reason he’s unlikely to be in the top 10. How far he falls will depend on a team’s level of risk 12-18 is the likely range.

Why bother trying to spin that as a negative?

Firstly - going to play in ON made a lot of sense for him and has clearly paid off. He got to play in a tougher league and go to a great school. Lived on campus, a 30 second walk away from the rink YSE (his bantam/minor midget team) still uses for practices/home games. A facility nice enough that McDavid/Stamkos/Pietro skate there in the summers. Their investments in off-ice training, video, and equipment far outpace most comparable-level teams. To top it off, they also have a Newfy coach who regularly recruits players to come to Aurora, as did his predecessor.

And clearly...their approach is working, as you can watch Robert Thomas tonight, Byfield next year, or Foegele whenever you happen to. All of them spent a lot of time in that rink/complex.

Secondly, he wanted to play college hockey. Choices there are the BCHL and USHL - there’s not much else for a player of his caliber. So it’s move to the US or BC. You can’t blame him for wanting to play in Victoria, given that he had his choice of where he could go. It’s one of the most beautiful cities in the country. He shredded the league and now he’s off to one of the all time college programs.

Time to put the debate over league, QoC, etc, to bed. Should have died at the U18s, really. The kid is just really good.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
The overwhelming majority would take Podkolzin and hard to disagree, he would be my pick if available at 10. Hoping the AVs draft with Turcotte using their 16th to add even more speed upfront.
Totaly agree for a speedy player for 16th AVS pick . Newhook or Tomasino

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why bother trying to spin that as a negative?

Firstly - going to play in ON made a lot of sense for him and has clearly paid off. He got to play in a tougher league and go to a great school. Lived on campus, a 30 second walk away from the rink YSE (his bantam/minor midget team) still uses for practices/home games. A facility nice enough that McDavid/Stamkos/Pietro skate there in the summers. Their investments in off-ice training, video, and equipment far outpace most comparable-level teams. To top it off, they also have a Newfy coach who regularly recruits players to come to Aurora, as did his predecessor.

And clearly...their approach is working, as you can watch Robert Thomas tonight, Byfield next year, or Foegele whenever you happen to. All of them spent a lot of time in that rink/complex.

Secondly, he wanted to play college hockey. Choices there are the BCHL and USHL - there’s not much else for a player of his caliber. So it’s move to the US or BC. You can’t blame him for wanting to play in Victoria, given that he had his choice of where he could go. It’s one of the most beautiful cities in the country. He shredded the league and now he’s off to one of the all time college programs.

Time to put the debate over league, QoC, etc, to bed. Should have died at the U18s, really. The kid is just really good.

Would you consider him a Top 10 pick?

Your opinion ignores the successes of the other players in superior leagues. He really could be special, but risking a high draft position is extremely risky fo a player from the BCHL.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Would you consider him a Top 10 pick?

Your opinion ignores the successes of the other players in superior leagues. He really could be special, but risking a high draft position is extremely risky fo a player from the BCHL.
Your not wrong but it worked out extemely well with Makar and he came from an even worse league. There is always some risk when your not picking top 5/10 so if a team gambles on upside than I don't see much more risk than others. I will say I don't think we see him picked at ten because there always are fallers.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Cozens doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Turcotte, let alone the same tier.

I think this has become the case the last 2 months. Cozens may very well fall out of the top 10. Turcotte looks like a top 6 lock.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
According to Rick Dhaliwal of Sportnet, VAN is potentially bringing in some prospects for additional interviews. He mentioned Newhook could be one of them
He'd be a great pick for us. I wonder if he'll end up on the wing or if his ability to transition the puck up the middle up the ice will keep him as a C. Hard to imagine him pushing Pettersson or Horvat to the wings though.

Reactions: Nabrules

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I don't see Newhook falling past the Wild at #12. The only reason like an above poster said is if someone from the "Better Tier" fell into our laps. Now that I'm thinking about it Fenton could potentially take Lavoie instead, if he likes his game more. I just hope we don't go off the board with our first like last year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see Newhook falling past the Wild at #12. The only reason like an above poster said is if someone from the "Better Tier" fell into our laps. Now that I'm thinking about it Fenton could potentially take Lavoie instead, if he likes his game more. I just hope we don't go off the board with our first like last year.
If we don't take a fast, offensive C like a Newhook or Krebs and take yet another LW/LD then I am gonna lose it.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad