C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Probably≠Will :sarcasm:

But that's very promising... I'm ecstatic... I'm happy my gut-guess was wrong :laugh:

When do the roster's usually get announced? They do a training camp right?

They announced the roster last year on March 31st so we should see it around the same time. No training camps for the U-18 tournament. Usually just 2 exhibition matches.

The US would be ridiculous to not give him an invite, because hes going to play for Russia 100% then, but whether or not he takes it is whats up for debate. Despite what he said in that vauge little statement in Decemember, it's far from a sure thing.

Yeah, I agree. Unless his dad and Larionov prefer him to play for the USA (which they might), the best shot is to hopefully have him choose between playing in the tournament or not playing at all (assuming Russia doesn't try to bring him along). If the family and friends are pushing Russia, I can't see him going against the grain though when push comes to shove. I just hope USA Hockey at least makes the offer. While there are other potential options in the CHL, depending on the playoffs, such as Colin Jacobs, Shane McColgan, Stefan Noesen, Vince Trocheck, etc. I'd hate to see them not make a play on the kid now. USHR.com reported that USA Hockey was scouting Galchenyuk during the year, potentially for the WJC, so if that's true I can't imagine they don't invite him unless the family has told them not to bother.

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
I live in Sarnia and watch quite a few sting games and Galchenyuk and Yakupov and an absolute dynamic duo, both have explosive speed and play with an edge not afraid to drive the net hard and take the body on the forecheck. I think it'll go right down to the wire in regards to who goes first at the draft but if they each keep progressing then they could easily go 1-2. At this point id give a slight edge to Yakupov but that could change.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So is Galchenyuk the more all around player while Yakupov is the more explosive and dynamic offensive player?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Take that.

USA-Flag.jpg

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It really makes sense for him to play for the US. NHL teams want to see commitment to make the league and playing for the US will instill plenty of confidence that Alex has that commitment. The decision will effect his draft stock. He's likely to spend at least the next 20 years of his life playing pro in North America so even if he feels more Russian than American at this point it'll likely even out in the future.

Also, if he joins the US team this April at the U18 worlds he could be a major contributor on a potential championship team, which scouts will also view positively.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Good for him.

Even as a Canadian, I am glad he is playing for the US instead of the Russians.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm sure he's had overtures already from USA Hockey telling him he has a spot sewn up on the U18 team.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Very glad to see this, he has always been a great kid, and a joy to watch here in Chicago. It seemed towards the end of last year for tier-1 (June) that he wanted to be apart of team USA whether that was for a better business decision or from his heart, but that doesnt matter.

All that matters is he is one hell of a kid that has made a decision that will even further positively effect his future status as a pro in North America. I hope he is on that U18 team, it would be an absolute no brainer for the US to take him, and I cant wait to see what he could do with the likes of Grimaldi and Biggs.

Excellent news/

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great news. I think Cagney is spot on with his analysis, particularly regarding what Larionov is probably thinking and why he wants him, as of now, to play for the USA. Lets hope nothing changes!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Galchenyuk turns to the dark side!:darth:

From a career perspective, can't fault him for his decision though. It's not surprising Larionov advised him as such.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
It's not surprising Larionov advised him as such.
Larionov has became a cancer for Russia.

His "agency" (or whatever you call that) is luring best Russian prospects to the CHL and he is even advising Russians to play for the US instead of Russia.

Larionov is the Mikhail Kasyanov of hockey.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Larionov has became a cancer for Russia.

His "agency" (or whatever you call that) is luring best Russian prospects to the CHL and he is even advising Russians to play for the US instead of Russia.

Larionov is the Mikhail Kasyanov of hockey.

Galchenyuk isn't even russian in the 1st place, and has an american mentality. And Kasyanov? You make it sound like he is some archdevil.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Galchenyuk isn't even russian in the 1st place, and has an american mentality. And Kasyanov? You make it sound like he is some archdevil.
But he is a good player. Why would Larionov advise Galchenyuk to play for the US if Galchenyuk can also help Russian national team? That is, if Larionov really cares more about Russia than the US, which I doubt. I'm glad he is not involved with the KHL anymore.

Kasyanov is a guy who promised to sell Russian oil to the US below market price before 2004 presidential election if he was elected. This way he wanted to get the western support for him against Putin. Kasyanov has also defended Yukos and that mobster Khodorkovsky who siphoned billions of dollars out of Russia. Nowadays Kasyanov spends as much time in the US as he does in Russia and visits some dubious anti-Russian "think tanks" with geopolitical agendas. A typical traitor.

I'm not directly comparing Larionov to Kasyanov, but Larionov is not acting for the benefit of Russian hockey or even Russian hockey players (as they usually regress in Canadian juniors). All Larionov does is lure away best Russian juniors, advise Russians to play for the US instead of Russia and trash talk Russian hockey system. Constructive criticism is good, but I find Larionov's actions and words more destructive than constructive.

I think Larionov is still stuck in 1989. It would be good if he learned to love his home country again and quit being a traitor. He could learn some things from Fetisov who returned to Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad