C Adam Beckman (2019, 75th, MIN)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His skating is ok, but could be better. Has good height, but needs to beef up. Two way play is mediocre. Puck handling is good, and passing surprisingly good. Shot and release is already NHL top 6 calibre, and the guy always looks to score.

He's got a lot of work to do in the off ice training, diet, and skating departments. You could say that most prospects do, and you wouldn't be wrong, but Beckman, more than most, looks like a bit of a late bloomer, and would benefit more than most with packing on some good lbs. If he gets bigger, and a bit faster I can see him being a LH version of Alex Tuch. Ceiling is probably a #2LW, floor is an AHL'er, if he simply stops developing.

Would like to see him come back in the fall with an additional 10-15 lbs, an improved skating stride, and better edges.

Last edited:

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
His skating is ok, but could be better. Has good height, but needs to beef up. Two way play is mediocre. Puck handling is good, and passing surprisingly good. Shot and release is already NHL top 6 calibre, and the guy always looks to score.

He's got a lot of work to do in the off ice training, diet, and skating departments. You could say that most prospects do, and you wouldn't be wrong, but Beckman, more than most, looks like a bit of a late bloomer, and would benefit more than most with packing on some good lbs. If he gets bigger, and a bit faster I can see him being a LH version of Alex Tuch. Ceiling is probably a #2LW, floor is an AHL'er, if he simply stops developing.

Would like to see him come back in the fall with an additional 10-15 lbs, an improved skating stride, and better edges.

Barring a very late growth spurt I don't see him growing to 6'4 220 like Tuch. I can't see him playing Tuch's style in terms of shooting at top speed or crashing the net. If Tuch had Beckman's one timer he'd be an elite player. I think they play complentary styles, but I don't see the comp.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Beckman is a late bloomer. He's also a perfect example of how playing Midget at 16, vs getting buried on a 4th line in the WHL, can benefit a prospect. Both approaches can and do work, but it's certainly not one size fits all.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
ehhh...he needs time in the AHL. Skating is just average, to me. He needs to work on his speed, or he won't get enough chances to use that shot of his.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think its pointless to find things to complain about this young man. Dudes a clutch AF and just scores goals and points.
If he has flaws, so what? Every player has one or two. He is only 20.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think its pointless to find things to complain about this young man. Dudes a clutch AF and just scores goals and points.
If he has flaws, so what? Every player has one or two. He is only 20.
I don't see a lot of flaws. As a late bloomer, he is still filling out, so he should get stronger and faster. At 6'1", the size is there, but some man muscles will help. His forte will be as an offensive player, but he works to get back on D. What sticks out about him is his shot, and the ability to be in the right place to score goals.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
What I love about this kid is that he really, really, really wants to score with every shot.

On a MN team that's been anemic for most of 20 years with this kind of idea, this is refreshing.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
i know he is only 22 (turns 23 in less the 4 months)
maybe he can still turn it around?

his 18 year old season in the WHL though... 48 goals, about 110 points, 1.80 ppg
was +44..played really well, scored goals, points..
showed so much promise, also great start to his AHL career..
- even scored 24 goals in 53 games last season

this season though in the AHL.. 5 goals, 15 points, 0.45 ppg
has missed 6 Iowa Wild games, not gotten a call up, injury troubles?
is his career, development been troubled with injuries or he is just not
good enough pro player

12 games total in the NHL so far, 1 assist, his role in those games though; small.
4th line; ice time range of 7-11 minutes, really can't do much with those
minutes, when you have played top minutes in your career

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He’s a tweener and where he goes in the NHL is going to depend on his effort and dedication levels over the next stretch. I am personally not too crazy about him but the Wild org has been complimentary of him and his character in the past. He seemed to hit a bit of a lull during the second half of last season and hasn’t pulled out of it, just not fully engaged IMO. The lack of call ups is a bit out of his control, the Wild cap situation this season made him hard/impossible to call up for most of it because he makes more than our other AHLers. Assuming Duhaime is out in the off season, he would be a strong candidate for that spot, but he will be in a 4th line role if he makes it, not a ton of opportunities to move up past the 3rd line either, long term. He has a knack for being in the right spot in the O zone and has a few attributes that are NHL caliber, but his shot has not yet translated up to beat professionals and the rest of the package is pretty vanilla.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I don't think he is in the Wild's future at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he is flipped for another prospect of similar age/potential so both get a new start.

He has a great shot, has improved his positioning and decision making, but is not someone who can stickhandle through traffic or deke, is not great along the boards, and isn't good/gritty enough to play on PK and bottom 6. IMO, he has to strike lightning by getting an opportunity in the top 6 playing with a great playmaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad