Olympics: Bylsma - worst coach of the Olympics?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He had his 2nd line out and top 4 D. The Pens managed to win 7 in a row.

"Worst coach in the NHL" take the foot off the exaggerator.

I'm not saying he is the best but far from the worst.

He had Malkin and Crosby injured and still won 3 straight playoff games against Tampa.

The Penguins have consistently led the Eastern conference the last few years despite battling injury after injury.

Bysmal and Fluery deserve a lot of credit for carrying the team through such adversity

SgtJoseph*

Dan deserves the heat he is taking. The penguins have underachieved since they've won the cup. There is just no excuse to lose the way they did to the habs, flyers and bruins. Even before the flyers series pens fans were scared about how bad their D/goaltending was playing and how many goals the team was giving up. Bylsma instead kept using the same system instead of trying to get the team to play responsible D. He should get a pass for the Lightning series only because Roloson stinking it up was the chief reason the pens were up 3-1 at one point. All that's happening is Bylsma's wasting Crosby and Malkin's prime years. Pens fans don't want to see year after year of playoff flameouts all because Shero is too stubborn to fire his buddy.

And to be fair the Pens lost in the playoffs because MAF was stinking it up, especially against Philly ?

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
MAF played a role but it wasn't just all on him. They didn't know how to play an ounce of defense at all. They thought they could just run and gun their way to the cup and that they could outscore any problems on the back end and in goal. Everyone here knows the key to winning the cup is to be able to play some kind of D. I honestly don't recall any team to win a cup playing a reckless run and gun style. All cup champs know how to play some kind of defense. Even the 09 version of the Pens were able to do that.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I agree with this accusation. Most overrated coach in the NHL. I don't see why Pens fans aren't calling for him to be ousted yet. They always wait until the Pens choke in the playoffs and then their disgust only lasts a few months. It's almost as bad as reading how Leaf fans react to poor performances/coaching.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Bylsma got his lunch handed to him by Babcock. Hard to tell if the Finland game was due to coaching or the team quitting. All in all, he should never coach team USA again because his tenure was an epic failure. Good thing he had Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik on the team though. They made all the difference.

Ducksgo*

Pens fans are always calling for him to be ousted.

No worries USA hockey aren't going to ignore the head lines of how horrible the coaching was. He's already made Yahoos news and others.

"Simply put, Bylsma oversaw the worst 24 hours in recent memory for American hockey. It began with a humbling 1-0 defeat to arch rival Canada on Friday night, costing the U.S. a gold or a silver; it culminated with a 5-0 humiliation at the hands of Finland, earning the Americans a fourth-place finish in the 2014 Winter Games"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hockey-s-olympic-embarrassment-231757389.html

USA hockey isn't going to put up with this ****. Especially when the news is making headlines I guarantee it

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Bylsma is a very good motivational coach but sub-par on a technical level.

International ice hockey is extremely technical.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
2016 World Cup - Enter Ron Wilson

No other real options besides him. Torts would fail with the overall talent of the US. They would turn on him instantly. Lavs is fine but he did snot in 06 as well.

The only coach not named Herb Brooks that has lead team USA to success the past 30 years has a name....and that name is : RON WILSON.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
As has already been said, I think the Russian and Czech coaches were worse. Team USA just got outplayed by a superior Canadian team... the loss to Finland, they just stopped trying.

DrunkKaner88

Jan 5, 2014
The fact that he kept putting Parise, one of our more skilled players on a checking line should be evidence enough that he doesn't know how to put lines together. Took him the whole tournament to figure out Parise needed to be off that stupid line.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
That Czech coach who appeared completely over his head is by far the worst, but Dan Bylsma is an incompetent fool himself.

How was the Czech coach supposed to know that Pavelec would let 3 terrible goals in during the QF?

No worries USA hockey aren't going to ignore the head lines of how horrible the coaching was. He's already made Yahoos news and others.

"Simply put, Bylsma oversaw the worst 24 hours in recent memory for American hockey. It began with a humbling 1-0 defeat to arch rival Canada on Friday night, costing the U.S. a gold or a silver; it culminated with a 5-0 humiliation at the hands of Finland, earning the Americans a fourth-place finish in the 2014 Winter Games"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hockey-s-olympic-embarrassment-231757389.html

USA hockey isn't going to put up with this ****. Especially when the news is making headlines I guarantee it

"Simply put" is right. That's a lot of hyperbole unless unless he means very recent memory.

He didn't make Kane, Oshie and Suter take moronic, selfish, lazy penalties in the Bronze Medal game.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The fact that he kept putting Parise, one of our more skilled players on a checking line should be evidence enough that he doesn't know how to put lines together. Took him the whole tournament to figure out Parise needed to be off that stupid line.

Oh! So that's why Iginla at LW didn't work. :sarcasm:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Was anybody actually expecting a good performance against Finland for Bronze? I wasn't. I said as much that the loser of Canada-USA was going to lose to Finland.

These guys aren't skiers or figure skaters. They wanted to win Gold.... and aside from that, they don't care about a medal and their minds were probably back with their NHL teams by that that point.

Finland's happy to play for a Medal, USA's disappointed to not be playing for Gold.

DrunkKaner88

Jan 5, 2014
Was anybody actually expecting a good performance against Finland for Bronze? I wasn't. I said as much that the loser of Canada-USA was going to lose to Finland.

These guys aren't skiers or figure skaters. They wanted to win Gold.... and aside from that, they don't care about a medal and their minds were probably back with their NHL teams by that that point.

Finland's happy to play for a Medal, USA's disappointed to not be playing for Gold.

Should have at least showed some pride. That 3rd period was disgraceful. Obviously it's tough to get your mind mentally ready for a game like that after being eliminated but at least show some heart.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Should have at least showed some pride. That 3rd period was disgraceful. Obviously it's tough to get your mind mentally ready for a game like that after being eliminated but at least show some heart.

Well yeah, obviously as USA Hockey fans we would have liked to have seen that. But you can't make the players care about a game they don't care about.

I saw a team with Wayne Gretzky and other great Hall of Famers lose to a worse version of Finland once upon a time in a bronze medal game for the same reason.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Bylsma got his lunch handed to him by Babcock. Hard to tell if the Finland game was due to coaching or the team quitting. All in all, he should never coach team USA again because his tenure was an epic failure. Good thing he had Paul Martin and Brooks Orpik on the team though. They made all the difference.

They played quite well actually.

If you want to go by that logic, then you can talk about the whole team because none of them made the difference either. They lost as a team, you can single out Penguins all you want, but Callahan and Stepan didn't help the team much either...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
As a Pens fan, what frustrates me the most about Bylsma is that he has no willingness or ability to adjust in-game.

If something is clearly not working, he does not care. He is going to roll with whatever he is doing anyway.

Plus, he believes somewhere in his 4th liner's heart that a skilled player playing alongside a talentless scrub is just fine. The fact that Tanner Glass actually plays minutes with Sidney Crosby is a crime against hockey humanity and he needs to be stopped.

I can't say exactly what he did wrong with Team USA, but I am going to guess it was his inflexible approach to the game.

Averick*

How was the Czech coach supposed to know that Pavelec would let 3 terrible goals in during the QF?

"Simply put" is right. That's a lot of hyperbole unless unless he means very recent memory.

He didn't make Kane, Oshie and Suter take moronic, selfish, lazy penalties in the Bronze Medal game.

The team canada fans need to relax and stop getting their undies in a bunch just because they want feel americans criticizing the team USA coach is somehow an affront to the pure magnificence of team canada. The two aren't mutually exclusive--both can be true. No one is saying canada doesn't have amazing players. But at the same time team USAs coach has done a lot to deserve criticism.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
The team canada fans need to relax and stop getting their undies in a bunch just because they want feel americans criticizing the team USA coach is somehow an affront to the pure magnificence of team canada. The two aren't mutually exclusive--both can be true. No one is saying canada doesn't have amazing players. But at the same time team USAs coach has done a lot to deserve criticism.

What does this post have to do with mine? The one you quoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad