Olympics: Bylsma - worst coach of the Olympics?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Bylsma's not a good coach, in fact he's probably one of the worst 5 in the league.

Whats funny is Babcock Hitchcock, and Julien are all top 5 coaches IMO

I'm not Bylsma's biggest fan, but this is too far in the opposite direction.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Always thought he was overrated cause he took the Pens team to the cup. Pretty much any coach in the NHL could of coached them to a cup with that lineup.

Unfortunately USA doesn't have that many great coaches to choose from.

As a Pens fan, I've been hoping to him to be replaced for years. He won the cup with a modified Therrien system. He didn't want to implement his system mid-season so he tweaked the one they were already playing, which Therrien instituted.

Since implementing his system, it's been one failure after another.

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
Brooks Orpik had no right to be on this team.

He was on there because the USA coach also coaches the Penguins. That's it. A very self-serving, short-sighted move.

I almost liken it Mike Milbury picking "his" Bruins for the all star games- guys like Chris Nilan, Gary Galley and Dave Christian. (singlehandedly changes the way all star rosters are chosen...what a legacy you have there you POS.)

And yet Dan B's choice was in the olympics. Far more disgraceful. My 6 year old even asked who the "slow guy" was...just complete BS.

I like Brooks- (went to BC myself and have followed him since), but this "my guy" crap has no place on this level. If a different Dman was playing maybe Benn doesn't score.

Thanks Dan!

If you are alluding to Orpik as being slow, you're wrong. If there's a strength he has, it's his skating. Yes he's starting to lose a step with age, but he's still a great skater and is by no means "slow".

nwaZ*

If you are alluding to Orpik as being slow, you're wrong. If there's a strength he has, it's his skating. Yes he's starting to lose a step with age, but he's still a great skater and is by no means "slow".

He was slow though - in the head. :sarcasm:

gtpeli2

Feb 5, 2014
I'm a Pens fan and think Bylsma is a terrible coach. Probably one of the worst in the league. The Pens win games in spite of him.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Its a weird coincidence that Bylsma coached teams in NHL & Olympics choke against lesser talented teams, but please go ahead and stay in denial.
LOL, this has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on HF. Please, enlighten us. Particularly with the Olympics.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Good to see hard core hockey fans have no clue what they are talking about. Only play Kessel vs the 4th line right? So he plays 8 minutes. Orpik was picked because of his skating.

Outside of Malkin, Crosby, Neal and Kunitz who should be getting all the minutes for the Penguins? You realize Crosby & Malkin tie up a lot of salary right? Was Bylsma at fault for Fleury being terrible in consecutive playoff years? Conference Final and 2 Stanley Cup finals. Terrible coach. I've watched 90% of the games Byslma has coached. He gets results. He has 4 forwards and a couple of defensemen and a head case goalie to work with. I haven't seen a single good argument in this thread.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
When the Penguins flame out of the playoffs again this year, Bylsma will get fired. Some sad sack team will hire him on, fail and he will get fired. Then he won't see another NHL job for a long time/ever.

Ron Wilson 2.0

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
Good to see hard core hockey fans have no clue what they are talking about. Only play Kessel vs the 4th line right? So he plays 8 minutes. Orpik was picked because of his skating.

Outside of Malkin, Crosby, Neal and Kunitz who should be getting all the minutes for the Penguins? You realize Crosby & Malkin tie up a lot of salary right? Was Bylsma at fault for Fleury being terrible in consecutive playoff years? Conference Final and 2 Stanley Cup finals. Terrible coach. I've watched 90% of the games Byslma has coached. He gets results. He has 4 forwards and a couple of defensemen and a head case goalie to work with. I haven't seen a single good argument in this thread.

Then you haven't read it.

Bylsma has a losing record AT HOME in the playoffs. Unacceptable. Why? Because he refuses to take advantage of last change.

Bylsma refuses to line match or allow his best players to be his best players. Versus Boston, he constantly had Malkin out there vs Chara, even at home. This is the exact matchup Julien wanted. Malkin hadn't scored a goal with Chara on the ice in something like 14 games prior to their playoff matchup. He countered the Bergeron line with the Crosby line. Once again, giving Julien the matchup he wanted. But it didn't hurt them right? The Penguins were still that awesome offensive machine right? Oops, wrong, they couldn't score worth bean in that series.

Bylsma refuses to adjust, instead preaching to "get to our game", and being stubborn by not deviating from his system. Sometimes you need to figure out ways to stop the other team instead of just playing offense.

Bylsma blew a 3-1 playoff lead in 2011. No matter the roster, blowing a 3 game lead is unacceptable.

He coached a team that had a complete meltdown versus Philly, after being a strong defensive team all year, they turned into complete swiss cheese from the goaltender on out. Their special teams, their breakout, their neutral zone play, everything was solved by Philly, and then he couldn't control his team.

Did you watch the series versus the Islanders last year? They didn't deserve to win, they were completely outplayed and got by on sheer talent alone. He refused to go away from his famous stretch pass breakout and it was killing the team. In his mind, you keep doing the same thing and it will work. Don't deviate from the system.

They've lost to lower seeded teams up until last year and have only won THREE PLAYOFF SERIES since 2009. That's right, THREE.

The addition of Martin might be the saving grace this year as Jacques has come in and changed their defensive zone game, their breakout, their neutral zone play and they've almost eliminated the ridiculous non stop stretch pass. They've also started to adjust in game, something that Bylsma did very little of before the arrival of Martin.

These are just off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure they're decent arguements.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Then you haven't read it.

Bylsma has a losing record AT HOME in the playoffs. Unacceptable. Why? Because he refuses to take advantage of last change.

Bylsma refuses to line match or allow his best players to be his best players. Versus Boston, he constantly had Malkin out there vs Chara, even at home. This is the exact matchup Julien wanted. Malkin hadn't scored a goal with Chara on the ice in something like 14 games prior to their playoff matchup. He countered the Bergeron line with the Crosby line. Once again, giving Julien the matchup he wanted. But it didn't hurt them right? The Penguins were still that awesome offensive machine right? Oops, wrong, they couldn't score worth bean in that series.

Bylsma refuses to adjust, instead preaching to "get to our game", and being stubborn by not deviating from his system. Sometimes you need to figure out ways to stop the other team instead of just playing offense.

Bylsma blew a 3-1 playoff lead in 2011. No matter the roster, blowing a 3 game lead is unacceptable.

He coached a team that had a complete meltdown versus Philly, after being a strong defensive team all year, they turned into complete swiss cheese from the goaltender on out. Their special teams, their breakout, their neutral zone play, everything was solved by Philly, and then he couldn't control his team.

Did you watch the series versus the Islanders last year? They didn't deserve to win, they were completely outplayed and got by on sheer talent alone. He refused to go away from his famous stretch pass breakout and it was killing the team. In his mind, you keep doing the same thing and it will work. Don't deviate from the system.

They've lost to lower seeded teams up until last year and have only won THREE PLAYOFF SERIES since 2009. That's right, THREE.

The addition of Martin might be the saving grace this year as Jacques has come in and changed their defensive zone game, their breakout, their neutral zone play and they've almost eliminated the ridiculous non stop stretch pass. They've also started to adjust in game, something that Bylsma did very little of before the arrival of Martin.

These are just off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure they're decent arguements.

Yes, bylsma really doesn't understand balanced hockey. His offensive plan is basically perimeter grinder hockey, defensemen pinching in too much, and stretch passes to forwards who are more or less cherry picking rather than giving good puck support defensively. People look at the goal totals and think they are fine, when the truth was that the team capitalizes on a rather small amount of chances Crosby and Malkin create because it is stocked with a bunch of one dimensional shot blocking penalty killersrather than scoring talent...

I mean the guy played Pascal Dupuis, a career 3rd and 4th liner on the top line over Iginla, Bennett, and a handful of other offensively skilled players.... He singlehandedly tore all the secondary scoring out of the bottom 2 lines for the Pens.... He has some positive attributes and could end up being a good coach, but he has been heavily flawed to date and won way too much based on talent....

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT

There is a lot more to "speed" than the ability to skate from point A to point B the quickest.

And Orpik is no longer able to handle the better skaters in NHL. His value remains but much of it is in his intangibles such as leadership and experience...things that were not required on the US roster full of captains and stars.

Again, this was a crap roster demand by a surprisingly crappy coach...

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
There is a lot more to "speed" than the ability to skate from point A to point B the quickest.

And Orpik is no longer able to handle the better skaters in NHL. His value remains but much of it is in his intangibles such as leadership and experience...things that were not required on the US roster full of captains and stars.

Again, this was a crap roster demand by a surprisingly crappy coach...

I believe the OP was alluding to Orpik as being a slow skater.

There was nothing surprising about Byslma being a crappy coach. I said it from the start that the US will fail because of Bylsma. I had no fear of them because of him.

If you follow hockey, you'd know that Bylsma is not a good coach. No surprises.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Brooks Orpik had no right to be on this team.

He was on there because the USA coach also coaches the Penguins. That's it. A very self-serving, short-sighted move.

I almost liken it Mike Milbury picking "his" Bruins for the all star games- guys like Chris Nilan, Gary Galley and Dave Christian. (singlehandedly changes the way all star rosters are chosen...what a legacy you have there you POS.)

And yet Dan B's choice was in the olympics. Far more disgraceful. My 6 year old even asked who the "slow guy" was...just complete BS.

I like Brooks- (went to BC myself and have followed him since), but this "my guy" crap has no place on this level. If a different Dman was playing maybe Benn doesn't score.

Thanks Dan!
Eh...I do not think it is at all fair to blame Orpik's inclusion as being all DB. If you read the ESPN article on the selection of the US team, Orpik was actually a unanimous unquestioned decision by the GMs before Bylsma seemingly had any input in the player selection discussion. He is still viewed as a shutdown defense man by the much of the NHL for some mind blowing reason.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Pens fans, didn't he also refuse to play Crosby and Iginla together in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure I was also reading that he was playing Iggy on his wrong side which certainly would have contributed to him having a so-so playoff performance.

The Big Dawg*

LOL, this has to be one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on HF. Please, enlighten us. Particularly with the Olympics.

Finland, there's no way you can tell me the players on Finland team are more talented than the ones on USA, ya they won against Russia but they were lucky to win it. They should've lost had it not for them getting a cheap no goal call going in their favor. They were outplayed by the Russians most of the game.

Don't even try to convince me Bylsma is a good coach, I've seen every Penguins game this guy has coached and he's about as overrated as they come. I guarantee you he will get exposed again in the playoffs.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He was terrible in the Olympics and is overrated in general.

Why put Kessel vs Toews when you have the last change?
Why put the second best Us sniper (Pacioretty) on the 4th line?
Why not Kane centering Kessel/JVR?

So many of his moves were stupid.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
He was terrible in the Olympics and is overrated in general.

Why put Kessel vs Toews when you have the last change?
Why put the second best Us sniper (Pacioretty) on the 4th line?
Why not Kane centering Kessel/JVR?

So many of his moves were stupid.

Because Kane is a winger and plays better there.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
He's the worst coach in the NHL. But the Russian coach also struggled

He had his 2nd line out and top 4 D. The Pens managed to win 7 in a row.

"Worst coach in the NHL" take the foot off the exaggerator.

I'm not saying he is the best but far from the worst.

SgtJoseph*

Much of this thread is quite Juvenile and quite frankly a joke !As a Flyers fan i will not place " blame" on Dan or his staff.......I remember when the Pens recently were playing with pretty much 3/4 of their squad being AHL fill ins that replaced the many injured players the Penguins had out and the team played some pretty darn solid Hockey considering........The USA team pretty much led the Olympics in scoring, then lost 1-0 to Canada who scored their only goal on a redirected shot by Benn ? . The US team just missed a redirected shot on a nice save by Price. The team from Canada and their staff and fans deserve the Gold on their merits.....But to now Monday night quarterback and play the blame game on the coach is really a stretch. The US team did not win for a variety of reasons which is just the way it goes in a 2 week Tourney. The US had plenty of chances including penalty shots etc that just did not go in............Not the coaches fault folks. Get over it !

Last edited by a moderator:

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Dan deserves the heat he is taking. The penguins have underachieved since they've won the cup. There is just no excuse to lose the way they did to the habs, flyers and bruins. Even before the flyers series pens fans were scared about how bad their D/goaltending was playing and how many goals the team was giving up. Bylsma instead kept using the same system instead of trying to get the team to play responsible D. He should get a pass for the Lightning series only because Roloson stinking it up was the chief reason the pens were up 3-1 at one point. All that's happening is Bylsma's wasting Crosby and Malkin's prime years. Pens fans don't want to see year after year of playoff flameouts all because Shero is too stubborn to fire his buddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad