Olympics: Bylsma - worst coach of the Olympics?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
They played quite well actually.

If you want to go by that logic, then you can talk about the whole team because none of them made the difference either. They lost as a team, you can single out Penguins all you want, but Callahan and Stepan didn't help the team much either...

Martin played well. Orpik was at least partially at fault on the two biggest goals USA gave up in the entire tournament.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
And the coach took heat for not starting him earlier in the tournament. At some point players have to shoulder the blame, too.

The USA was the second end of a back to back.

Look up Pavelec's stats in second ends of back to backs.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
While I think Bylsma is far from a bad coach, I do believe he is vastly overrated because he happened to get a team with Malkin + Crosby on it that manages to win a lot of games.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
You are aware of the fact that he's spent his entire career with the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise, right?

Does not mean he's not an awful goalie. I wonder if the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise can somehow be blamed for all those awful goals he gave up to the USA??

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Does not mean he's not an awful goalie. I wonder if the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise can somehow be blamed for all those awful goals he gave up to the USA??

No, but I'm sure it plays a factor in his career record on the back-end of B2Bs.

You probably should blame the Czech coach for those goals, though, right?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
No I'll take the Czechs and Slovaks for worst coaches. The Slovaks were playing Chara 18 minutes vs the US and consistently trotting our their third defensive pair which got scored on shift after shift. He never adjusted and I'm confident my beer league has better coaches.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
2016 World Cup - Enter Ron Wilson

No other real options besides him. Torts would fail with the overall talent of the US. They would turn on him instantly. Lavs is fine but he did snot in 06 as well.

The only coach not named Herb Brooks that has lead team USA to success the past 30 years has a name....and that name is : RON WILSON.

Yes! Him or Joe Sacco

:o

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
No, but I'm sure it plays a factor in his career record on the back-end of B2Bs.

You probably should blame the Czech coach for those goals, though, right?

Not his record... his SV% and GAA.

And um... yes.

-Coach starts terrible goalie Ondrej Pavelec on zero days rest when he has other viable options.
-Terrible goalie Ondrej Pavelec allows a slew of soft goals and Czech Republic is eliminated.
-Both Czech coach and Ondrej Pavelec are at fault.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Not his record... his SV% and GAA.

And um... yes.

-Coach starts terrible goalie Ondrej Pavelec on zero days rest when he has other viable options.
-Terrible goalie Ondrej Pavelec allows a slew of soft goals and Czech Republic is eliminated.
-Both Czech coach and Ondrej Pavelec are at fault.

Found your main problem right here. Your thinking is flawed if you think he had "viable options".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad