Player Discussion: Byfuglien - Managing the asset

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yep, didn't even mention that pinch in his series of bad decisions for yesterday's game and its the most forgivable of the three really bad plays he makes. If we were behind on the scoresheet when he made these plays, I'd understand, but he is constantly making those pinches and taking unnecessary stick penalties when we are up by 1-2 goals. That's all we're saying, he needs to apply some common sense out there.
This really isn't a bad play by Buff, or even a bad decision. I'm not surprised people see it that way though, but this play is a terrible example of the structure the Jets typically play with. They usually support much better and a certain someone was in no position to, he was way late and was likely cheating.

No reason to back off the line there, your teammates have to do their jobs as well.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
5 game changing negative plays, a year? A game?

Nothing he did against San Jose changed the game in a negative way, just saying.

Sorry, meant to say for every ONE of his amazing plays there's 5 plays he makes that negativity impact the game.

You don't view jumping into the play late and giving up easy 2 on 1's a negative impact?

Those plays could have easily lost us the game yesterday if not for great plays by Helle.

I was at the game and the short handed 2-1 caused by Buff was ridiculous. Saying he was "late" in making his decision to jump up was an understatement. You could clearly see that he was never going to get to the puck to even make it a 50-50 puck. It was about 90-10 all the way and he still took his 10% shot and trying make a play. Just saying, any player can do that. Ben Chariot can play that way too.

Reactions: Male75FromFinland

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Sorry, meant to say for every ONE of his amazing plays there's 5 plays he makes that negativity impact the game.

You don't view jumping into the play late and giving up easy 2 on 1's a negative impact?

Those plays could have easily lost us the game yesterday if not for great plays by Helle.

I was at the game and the short handed 2-1 caused by Buff was ridiculous. Saying he was "late" in making his decision to jump up was an understatement. You could clearly see that he was never going to get to the puck to even make it a 50-50 puck. It was about 90-10 all the way and he still took his 10% shot and trying make a play. Just saying, any player can do that. Ben Chariot can play that way too.

I don't know about amazing plays but what gets lost in all the conversation about Buff is the way he consistently helps drive things for the Jets, everyone focuses on big events and usually overlook his overall contribution to how and why the Jets are successful.

The worst play I saw Buff make was the brutal pinch on the PP that resulted in the breakaway chance. Yep, awful decision. What I meant by it not negatively impacting the game is that the Jets still won, it didn't negatively impact the game, luckily. That doesn't condone the play, my biggest issue with it was the reward for winning the puck wasn't going to be all that great, which makes the risk worthless.

Reactions: GNP and Aavco Cup

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
It's funny how everyone craps on Buff but no one mentions Myers god awful play between him and Kulikov that led to a 2 on one and Myers falls and trips trying to recover.
Or the fact that Myers took a dumb penalty to put Buff in a SH situation.

Reactions: Evil Little

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know about amazing plays but what gets lost in all the conversation about Buff is the way he consistently helps drive things for the Jets, everyone focuses on big events and usually overlook his overall contribution to how and why the Jets are successful.

The worst play I saw Buff make was the brutal pinch on the PP that resulted in the breakaway chance. Yep, awful decision. What I meant by it not negatively impacting the game is that the Jets still won, it didn't negatively impact the game, luckily. That doesn't condone the play, my biggest issue with it was the reward for winning the puck wasn't going to be all that great, which makes the risk worthless.
do u have examples of the bolded? Seems like they are miniscule compared to his miscues and can be replaced by another offensive dman that doesn't cost as much and is less risky.

Reactions: Jets2point0

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
do u have examples of the bolded? Seems like they are miniscule compared to his miscues and can be replaced by another offensive dman that doesn't cost as much and is less risky.
Examples? Can I post entire games on here? I don't judge players entirely by their big events, they make up too little of anyone's overall game. His entire body of work helps the Jets in a positive way, he's a high impact player. I've posted at length, in detail about what I think Buff brings to the team, that's my opinion. Highlight clips that wouldn't even amount to one tenth of the minutes Buff plays in a single game aren't going to change my mind.

Does he make mistakes? Yep. Can he cut down on them? Yep. Will he? Yep.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Examples? Can I post entire games on here? I don't judge players entirely by their big events, they make up too little of anyone's overall game.

Does he make mistakes? Yep. Can he cut down on them? Yep. Will he? Yep.

Why are you so confident he can eliminate mistakes from his game? Hasnt this been a major point of contention throughout his entire career?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

If someone were to provide that evidence (as garret has many times in the past), would it change anyone's minds? Unlikely, so it's a bit of a fools errand for someone to dig up examples.

I get why people don't like Buff - I really do. I swear under my breath at some of the stuff he does from time to time, then look on in amazement as he does something the next shift that many NHL players can't manage (crushing hits, a great outlet pass, a bomb from the point, etc, etc). All players, including players as good as Crosby, make mistakes. You hope that the good outweigh the bad, and it's been proven before that he's a net positive for the Jets.

To each their own.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Why are you so confident he can eliminate mistakes from his game? Hasnt this been a major point of contention throughout his entire career?
Where did I say eliminate? I don't expect that of anyone, it's not realistic.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If someone were to provide that evidence (as garret has many times in the past), would it change anyone's minds? Unlikely, so it's a bit of a fools errand for someone to dig up examples.

I get why people don't like Buff - I really do. I swear under my breath at some of the stuff he does from time to time, then look on in amazement as he does something the next shift that many NHL players can't manage (crushing hits, a great outlet pass, a bomb from the point, etc, etc). All players, including players as good as Crosby, make mistakes. You hope that the good outweigh the bad, and it's been proven before that he's a net positive for the Jets.

To each their own.
yea i think that's what would be interesting/i would be hoping to see. im a fan of Buffs but some of the stuff hes done in the past couple games have been inexcusable.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

To each their own.

This is a great answer. I’m not trying to speak on behalf of Buff haters, but similar to you I can also appreciate a lot of the good things he does on the ice (from an optics and analytical standpoint). He is no doubt a game changer - typically in a good way.

What mostly upsets me about him is that if he is an appointed leader on this team, then his effort should never be in question, like Wheeler. We all admire the games where Buff flips the switch and takes over. You can see those games in his face and in his demeanor, he can literally take it to another level (that I would love to see more of). Maybe its unfair to ask those games from him every night given the minutes he plays and the toll it would take on his body, assuming he’s in good shape.

Given the pros to his game, at some point in the future we are going to question whether those pros balance out his contract and this will especially be the case in the next couple years. I really hope he can reel in his mistakes come playoff time and we are celebrating him rather than cursing him, I think his value will really shine through in the playoffs this year.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
anyone else notice in last nights game when Pavelski skated in the back of stationary buff and promptly put on his butt with buff I think not even noticing. regardless the guy needs to try and play defense first. Getting his high risk plays and 7mil+ salary off the books for a cheaper and possibly younger top4 d would be attractive.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think some of the comments on here about him being selfish are a bit unfair. I don't think he's selfish as there are many stories of him going out of his way to make sure the kids on this team feel like they belong. I also don't think he is a selfish player but he tends to get into the mindset at times that he needs to put the team on his back and that is when you see him get into trouble. Last night seemed to be one of those games where he tried to force things that he didn't need to.

A bit more in game awareess from him last night would have resulted in none of us talking about some of his missreads.

Reactions: Ducky10

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Move him to RW would be best case scenario for Jets

That would be the worst possible scenario for the Jets. You'd be planting 7.5m in cap hit on the 3rd or 4th line, as that's how he's performed at forward in the past. He's got gifts that are best utilized from the blueline, not as a mediocre forward.

Not a great move, IMO.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
It's funny how everyone craps on Buff but no one mentions Myers god awful play between him and Kulikov that led to a 2 on one and Myers falls and trips trying to recover.
Or the fact that Myers took a dumb penalty to put Buff in a SH situation.

Myers has elite GCB/60.

Probably because this thread isn't about Myers...

In that case, why isn't there a thread about Myers's abundant defensive shortcomings?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Remember when Laine complained about his TOI but really didn't ?

Answering questions people ask is now considered complaining I guess.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think we have seen this year we don’t ever need to see the plays that make Buff “special”. There is just too much risk in it. You can post as much nonsensical Corsi crap when it comes to Buff as you want but he gives up too many prime scoring chances when he makes a risk. The reward is unnecessary when the Jets have the team they have. There Is enough offense on this team that makes his risks unnecessary.

I’m just glad this team is now deep enough that they can give him the kick in the butt he needs because punishment is the only thing Buff responds to. When Buff has played his best it’s been after punishment. When he moved back from forward, when he was sat in Vancouver and went fishing.

All I want out of Buff are the things that make him a good hockey player. He’s a great passer, he’s big, strong, he can change the game with a hit etc. I had no complaints about a solid Buff with no goals.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
What makes Buff special isn't the risk in his game, it's his ability to do things that many others can't or don't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00