Player Discussion: Byfuglien - Managing the asset

Jerts

Mar 5, 2015
Winnipeg
Byfuglien seems to have trouble with consistency.

When he's good he has an almost unmatched skillset.
When he's bad he is an absolute liability.

Bench him and he's probably less productive and less of a trade asset.
Let him do his thing and you are setting a bad example for the rest of the team.

What would you do?

Reactions: Anton Hipchekhov

Matt7235

Dec 29, 2017
I love the physicality Buff brings to the Jets, his creativity with the puck, and that he seems to be a natural leader on the team. He gets caught out of position far too often though and takes too many bad penalties. He also misses the net far too often when he shoots. Tonight was certainly no exception. Bad Buff is back.

I remember when Enstrom lost his scoring touch and it seems Buff might be getting to this point too. I'd love to see him play a more solid defensive game with less rover-like play. If there was a way for him to keep the physicality up but limit the penalties that would be nice too.

If he plays the Jets system the way PMo wants, reward him with more minutes. If he doesn't, take them away. It's a big contract with many more years on it. Tough to see him play 2nd pairing minutes but he needs to be more dependable if he wants more minutes.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I said before that Buff doesn’t have to score goals to be affective Use his large frame to get other players off the puck in the defensive zone
Don’t like the complaining of lack of ice time
Don’t think he needs to be on the ice for the entire PP
Even if he’s on the bench , Big Buff is still a value trade assets What team doesn’t want a Big Buff?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I love the physicality Buff brings to the Jets, his creativity with the puck, and that he seems to be a natural leader on the team. He gets caught out of position far too often though and takes too many bad penalties. He also misses the net far too often when he shoots. Tonight was certainly no exception. Bad Buff is back.

I remember when Enstrom lost his scoring touch and it seems Buff might be getting to this point too. I'd love to see him play a more solid defensive game with less rover-like play. If there was a way for him to keep the physicality up but limit the penalties that would be nice too.

If he plays the Jets system the way PMo wants, reward him with more minutes. If he doesn't, take them away. It's a big contract with many more years on it. Tough to see him play 2nd pairing minutes but he needs to be more dependable if he wants more minutes.
To bad we can't do a Subban Weber deal for Buff

Anton Hipchekhov

Sep 30, 2017
Great summary, Jerts.

That SJ short-handed breakaway today is a perfect example of why I worry about him particularly in the playoffs.

It seems he's had a consequence-free tenure to date. I wonder if the strong year (including without him in the lineup) will give Maurice the nerve to punish/reward him as his play dictates?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This is a team that plays Tanev more than Perreault, Armia, Dano, and plays Hendricks over Roslo, Petan, Lukas Sutter, and Buff is the problem.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
I said before that Buff doesn’t have to score goals to be effective

That's what I was thinking when he struck that jesus pose after his goal. Kinda get the feeling he'd disagree with us.

Last edited:

Matt7235

Dec 29, 2017
He's the first Jet I think of when it comes to changing the momentum in a game. One big crushing hit gives momentum to the Jets. One stupid penalty or sloppy defensive play goes the other way though. He needs to do more of one, and less of the other.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
To bad we can't do a Subban Weber deal for Buff
Not sure who the comparable would be.

Subban- younger, high scoring, risk-taking, great skater, defensively challenged, in his prime, former Norris winner.

For

Weber- older, high-scoring, safe, slow skating, more physical, more defensively inclined, on the decline, former Norris finalist.

So with that in mind, what would a Buff deal look like?

Buff- older, off-year scoring wise, risk-taking, physical, defensively challenged, on the decline, never a Norris finalist

For

X? - younger, low-scoring, safe, slow skating, more defensively inclined, in his prime, never a Norris finalist. Who could that be?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It seems to me that he wasn't happy with taking a back seat minutes wise to JoMo and Trouba last game and seemingly tried too hard to make an impact today in order to show the coach that he should be playing. Well it backfired on him and he's lucky he got bailed out by Helle tonight. Less is more with Buff and for a good chuck of the year he has been playing good hockey. I would hope that he can accept that moving forward he won't be the top dog on the blue line and get back to playing like he can.

I don't think Moe has been too happy with his defense as today was the 2nd game in a row that he got less than 20 minutes (When has that ever happened here before?) I think if he gets his game back in order his minutes will go back up over 20 but I think the days where he is guaranteed to play the most minutes night in and night out are over as we have two other dmen that will be gunning for them.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
Play him 21-23 minutes per game. He seems to play better in that range. Accept the warts and bask in the goodness

I'm all for this his TOI is a huge factor and all our d make bad plays at times.
But I don't see Maurice doing anything, Buff does what he wants and if he decides to play 30 he'll play 30, warts and all.

To me he's like the perfect player when he's on his game, which makes it that much worse not knowing where his head is at. It's like he doesn't understand the whole concept of team play.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
I've wanted to move Buff for the past two seasons. Bad pentalies, cheating offensively, big contract into his late 30's. I appreciate his physical game, and the way he skates for a big guy but he's a high risk high reward player and quite frankly I don't think he's worth what we're paying for. I wonder if there's a team that would take his contract on?

Reactions: libertarian

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I've wanted to move Buff for the past two seasons. Bad pentalies, cheating offensively, big contract into his late 30's. I appreciate his physical game, and the way he skates for a big guy but he's a high risk high reward player and quite frankly I don't think he's worth what we're paying for. I wonder if there's a team that would take his contract on?

He can be traded until July and at that point Buff can put 14 teams on his no trade list. Also the only way Buff is likely to be traded is if he asks for a trade and that is highly unlikely IMO. The way his contract signing occurred it would not seem to be something that Chevy would consider at this point. He's going to give Buff a chance to win with the kids.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He is quite high impact and I do think there is a market for him. The question now is whether his contract fits into the Jets' economic structure. He is paid ~ 25% more than our highest impact players and we have a number more of those to sign over the next 2 years. it would be much better if Scheifele were the ceiling at this point.
I also sense there may be a change of leadership happening in the dressing room--there certainly is on the ice.
In any case, we have to resolve Trouba and Myers before we seriously think about trading Buff. Much better to just get him to play to his strengths for the rest of this season.

Reactions: Babooch

Matt7235

Dec 29, 2017
In any case, we have to resolve Trouba and Myers before we seriously think about trading Buff.

I agree. Tough to make a decision on Byfuglien when you don't know whether Trouba sticks around. Also, trading Buff might make Chevy's negotiation position weaker with Trouba. I don't think it's a coincidence the NMC disappears this year considering Trouba's contract.

I'd love to see Buff work out the wrinkles in his game and adapt to his circumstances. Sure, we might not get full value for his contract for the last four years. He's been one of the pillars of our team since we got it back though. I haven't forgotten who tossed the tracksuit in the shower when likely no one else dared. It would be nice to see Buff retire a Jet.

If he keeps making gaffes and costing his team though, showing no effort to change, after that NMC expires, I wouldn't be too sad if he was traded.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Really like Buff... Guys a character but... Id strongly consider moving him. I think you'd get a huge haul for him...

Losing that 7.6 cap hit would def be a good thing moving forward.

But i only do it if Trouba signs a new deal first or i have an agreement that he will.

Trouba has been looking more like last year Trouba the last 5 maybe 10 games now.... Him and Morrissey are officially our best D...

Myers Kulikov is a fine 2nd pair and work well together... Myers has been good despite the narrative pushed on here at times.. Kulikov has been an extremely pleasant signing.. Perhaps one that is overlooked.
Poolman Toby (1 yr deal with way less money) would be fine for next season.

Id probably want 2018 2019 first D prospect and roster player (3rd line center not making 6 million like RNH )

I think teams would do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->