Speculation: Buyout window opens today.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Its a shame we traded Bones for Sutter. I think the lack of puck distributing centers is the main reason our wingers are suffering.

We have the Sedins, and Baertschi with glimpses, who show any talent at puck distribution on the whole team. Everyone else is an off the rush scorer.

I think this is no fluke as to why players like Burrows, Higgins and Vrbata's value nose dived last year.

Wait? Bonino is a puck distributing center? Since when?

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Burrows would be an extremely usefull 4th liner. Buying him out would be a huge mistake. Higgy can go. I love him but it just doesn't fit anymore.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Agree with the consensus that buying out Burrows just really doesn't make any sense. When you consider that you'd still have to eat a 2.5M cap hit even if you buy him out, and you're going to probably pay 2M for a replacement player who is any good, it ends up being no savings and now you have to add a 1M cap hit for him not to play the next season.

I hope that at least someone in the Canucks FO is able to crunch some basic numbers and come to the same conclusion.

With Higgins it makes more sense, but I still wouldn't bother as he just has one more year at 2.5M, is a quality teammate who provides decent depth and maybe just maybe will have a decent year if he can be healthy at the start of it unlike last season. I just don't know that they need the 1.7M in cap savings that badly for it to really matter.

I'm not a big fan of buyouts in general but the discussion should begin with Derek Dorsett. It makes more sense to buy out awful players with 3 years left IMO and just grit it out with the guys on their final year.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I was under the impression Higgins can;t be bought-out

Isn't the limit 2.9 million?
Can someone confirm this?

& yes Burrows shouldn't be bought out, he should be paired with the sedins all season and traded at the deadline, with us eating 2 million of the cap hit.

You're thinking of the "second" buyout window, which opens for 48 hours after a team's final arbitration case. If Higgins is not bought out by June 30th, then, yes, he would not be eligible for being bought out later in the off-season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
false logic

The options are;

1) Trade Burrows, retain 50%, eat $2.25M in cap space and pay $1.5M out on his salary. Since he has negative value at $2.25M, Jim bundles a 4th rounder and takes back a player like Prust to sweeten the deal.

2) Buyout Burrows, eat $2.5M in cap space and $1M next year, pay out $2M in real money. Lose no real assets besides money. Burrows is free to sign a new contract one year younger, allowing him more leverage. I'm not suggesting at all he isn't an NHL'er, after last season we really need to switch up the line-up. They can't sell more of the same. 

3) Keep Burrows, eat $4.5M in cap space and pay $3M in real money. We lose $2M in potential cap space.

4) Keep Burrows, send him to Utica, eat $3.6M in cap space and pay $3M in real money. We lose $1.1M in cap space vs buying him out.

I think we should go with option 2. Let him go get his retirement contract this summer. He's done enough for us.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I hope we don't. We have cap space and won't be winning a cup next year. If we eat half there cap at the deadline they will have value.

Burrows should for sure barring a disaster year for him.... 3rd or 4th for Burrows at 50% is a good deal for a contender.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I hope we don't. We have cap space and won't be winning a cup next year. If we eat half there cap at the deadline they will have value.

Higgins decline was steep last year. He might be Europe bound. He won't have value even if we retain 50%. We tried last season and there were no takers. We still need to add a sweetener to move Burrows at 50% retained, although if it wasn't too steep it might be worth looking at just to avoid the dead cap hit in 17-18.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
So a buyout of burrow would cost
1mil this year
1 mill next year

2.5 cap hit this year
1.0 cap hit next year

2 mill in salary, 3.5 mill in cap space an salary of a replacement player(2m a year? X2 years)
Or we just keep him, someone might pick him up at the deadline with 50% retained

Personally I don't see the advantage to buying him out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Higgins is essentially the poster boy for someone that should be bought out. Last year of his deal, not an NHL player anymore. He's as good as gone.

The net space is almost even. Burying him in the minors for a year costs the team over $700k in salary. From a business standpoint it's a no-brainer to buy him out.

Yeah. I think Higgins is a prime candidate for a buyout.

-The cap penalty is minimal.
-The extension of a slight penalty into next season isn't the end of the world...we should have space then as well.
-It save the owners actual cash.
-Frees up a contract slot...and a roster spot in Utica (for a youngin' or a vet who has more fully resigned themselves to a journeyman minor league career).

But most of all...it's the human element there. It lets Higgins seek out a place to snag a minimum salary deal to maybe cling to an NHL roster somewhere. @$2.5M cap, he's not staying in the NHL barring some kind of herculean offseason resurgence. At the absolute minimum as a veteran fill-in type? Could see him catching on somewhere with cap problems, with a good camp to show he can still kinda skate.

It's just the right thing to do, for a guy who was a warrior for a number of good years here...and just doesn't stand a fair chance competing against young kids on a team that desperately wants to get younger.

That it could help free up a little bit of cap space this year is helpful if we really are going to land a big fish and want to bring in another piece as well.

Burrows on the other hand...he's still a solid bottom-6 NHL player, a great example of the sort of work ethic and drive to succeed that i think you want to instill in the young players. A Canucks fixture. Possible Sedin linemate option still, though that's kind of fizzled out. Albeit way overpaid at this point...but it's only one more year, and the way the buyout would be structured...it's way more cumbersome to actually buy him out than to just live with the bloated cap hit for a year and either wash our hands of it completely, or even re-sign him on a really cheap deal if he's interested and can still play.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow Jun 14

Craig Button: "I think Higgins' days in VAN have ended. It's not about the salary cap, it's straight savings. Same case with Burrows."

take it for what its worth.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
20 hasn't heard anything from anyone. I recommended my offseason regimen of Doritos, Netflix and 2 slices of pizza when you want 3 to showcase talent for Las Vegas execs. Can't hurt at this point right?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks Now ‏@CanucksNow Jun 14

Craig Button: "I think Higgins' days in VAN have ended. It's not about the salary cap, it's straight savings. Same case with Burrows."

take it for what its worth.

If it's straight savings and not cap then ownership is tightening the purse strings.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
20 hasn't heard anything from anyone. I recommended my offseason regimen of Doritos, Netflix and 2 slices of pizza when you want 3 to showcase talent for Las Vegas execs. Can't hurt at this point right?

I think that's a pretty impressive showcase.

Often when i want 3 pieces of pizza, i end up with 4 and then i am full of regret and Las Vegas definitely isn't going to claim me.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
3: Hank, Dank, Horvat

Correct. No prize though, just a demonstration that perhaps the canucks could have used his 25 assist pace.

Burrows...I'm going to give Benning the benefit of the doubt and suggest he knows the buyout deadlines and is saying they aren't going to buy him out, but depending on what they see in the UFA market they may try to trade him while keeping some of his cap hit. That makes sense. Which is scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad