Speculation: Buyout window opens today.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There's been plenty of speculation that Chris Higgins and Alex Burrows could be potential casualties of the buyout season. (I will personally lose my mind if Burrows is bought out)

Jared Cowen (Toronto) was the only player on waivers today for the purpose of a buyout. Any thoughts as to who the Canucks may buy out, or who other teams may buy out that could be of interest to the Canucks?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Buying out Burrows would be such a waste. He's still an NHL player and it's hard to argue he's the most-overpaid guy currently on the roster relative to production. Much as I've enjoyed watching Higgins over the years, I think he may be finished.

Last edited:

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Surely we don't need to buy out Higgins. Even if we just take "future considerations" to move him, there must be a few teams willing to give him a shot.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Surely we don't need to buy out Higgins. Even if we just take "future considerations" to move him, there must be a few teams willing to give him a shot.

No one was last year.

Although really, I don't see the point in buying out either at this stage; they are competitive bodies for training camp in case some of our younger guys fall flat. We aren't hurting for cap space in the slightest, so there's no advantage there in buying out either of them as well.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
No one was last year.

True but another season off the contract plus the beginning of a new season gives teams the opportunity to give it a try and at worse, send him to the AHL again like the Canucks did. Much easier to make the move now then during the middle of a season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Buying out Higgins may make a small amount of sense, if only to give the player a fresh start. Doesn't really save any money.

Buying out Burrows would be one of the most braindead, non-sensical things I've ever seen from an NHL GM.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Buying out Higgins may make a small amount of sense, if only to give the player a fresh start. Doesn't really save any money.

Buying out Burrows would be one of the most braindead, non-sensical things I've ever seen from an NHL GM.

Which, as we all know, is our GM's specialty.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Keep them both, no point in creating dead cap space for next year when we will likely suck again this year. Burrows is still useful too and once you factor in his replacement cost as well as the dead cap from the buyout we are barely even saving anything this year and will be worse off next year.

With that said, I expect both to be bought out.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
As others have said, it makes absolutely no sense to buyout Burrows or Higgins. The Canucks do not need cap space this season and a buy out will only use up cap space next season. Knowing Benning and the other two morons running this organisation however I fully expect them to buy out one or both.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Higgins is essentially the poster boy for someone that should be bought out. Last year of his deal, not an NHL player anymore. He's as good as gone.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I fully expect both Burrows and Higgins to be bought out. This management team right now is in full job saving mode so they'll take the meager cap savings this upcoming season and take the hit next season...the season they actually need the cap space.

I also think that 8 months from now their will be a broadcast crew in the NHL talking about how they can't believe Higgins was in the AHL last year and got bought out while guys like Dorsett got icetime.

Higgins isn't a top 6 forward anymore (barely was) but he can still contribute in the bottom 6.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Higgins is essentially the poster boy for someone that should be bought out. Last year of his deal, not an NHL player anymore. He's as good as gone.

We save more net cap space over the next 2 years by just burying him in the minors for a year.

They only reason to buy him out is to do him a favour as a long-serving player for the team.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
We save more net cap space over the next 2 years by just burying him in the minors for a year.

They only reason to buy him out is to do him a favour as a long-serving player for the team.

Yeah, this is an oversight in the cba.

One year buyout should just cost 900k cap space.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

The net space is almost even. Burying him in the minors for a year costs the team over $700k in salary. From a business standpoint it's a no-brainer to buy him out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The net space is almost even. Burying him in the minors for a year costs the team over $700k in salary. From a business standpoint it's a no-brainer to buy him out.

Hmmm, fair point.

I'd still rather have the hit be solely for this year as opposed to dragging it into the future, but $700k isn't chump change for ownership.

Burrows there is no argument to support it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad