Buying or selling at the deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
and Dubinsky is next, whether they keep him for 1 or 2 more years,
no way He plays for CBJ in 20-21

If they buy him out after this season, they'd have another $2 million per year for the next 6 years as a cap hit-over $6 million for all buyouts next season. I think they try to trade him with retention or buy him out, as you said, one of the following next two years.

Between Jarmo's insurance screw up and all of the buyouts and bad contracts, I'd think ownership is finding him to be a very expensive GM.

Brandon Dubinsky Buyout - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is a snowballs chance in hell of us buying out Dubinsky. At least not for a while. He's not useless enough to buy out, he's still relied upon on the ice in big moments, and he's a key contributor to the locker room. This isn't Scott Hartnell who wasp laying 4th line minutes or healthy scratched. Also, management isn't going to be on the hook for 3 long term expensive buyouts. That's just not going to happen. Maybe towards the end of his deal ala Jared Boll, but not this summer and probably not next summer.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I disagree about the buyout of Dubinsky. If buying him out frees up enough cap space to sign a top guy like Tavares (granted that's a long shot) or provides space to keep Bob, Panarin, Werenski, et al then they would be idiots to not do so. I didn't disagree with the Hartnell buyout although it seemed dumb to do it a few days after the expansion draft rather than before. In retrospect the only issue with that buyout is that it didn't do anything to improve the team. I assumed the cap space would be used to help obtain a player but it wasn't. Maybe Jarmo tried and failed, Who knows?

Reactions: hardkorejackets

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
There is a snowballs chance in hell of us buying out Dubinsky. At least not for a while. He's not useless enough to buy out, he's still relied upon on the ice in big moments, and he's a key contributor to the locker room. This isn't Scott Hartnell who wasp laying 4th line minutes or healthy scratched. Also, management isn't going to be on the hook for 3 long term expensive buyouts. That's just not going to happen. Maybe towards the end of his deal ala Jared Boll, but not this summer and probably not next summer.

I clearly stated after one more year at least, likely 2.
He will not be on the ice for the Jackets in 2020-21. No Chance.

Boll's buyout is over this year, 2Tin 2 more Years @ 1.4. The last year of Dubinsky's contract the only buyout on the books will be Hartnell, at 1.25. Leaves plenty of room to buy out his final contract year.

If the organization can't develop a 1C, 2C, or 3C to play with PLD and Wennberg on the top 3 lines, you might as well implode Nationwide.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
A couple of this on Hartnell.....agree he was a 4th liner, but that 4th line played double digit minutes and scored. They were not a "hold your breath when on the ice gang" like the group now assembled (I'm not even assured assembled is the right word - it's more the 4th line de jour made up of leftovers).....now its true he was waaaaay overpaid to be a 4th liner. And I'll buy that --- IF you can tell me how that savings was wisely spent this year.

(Ironic - my post is #43)

One final thought- I'm not sure I'm for a Dubi buyout, but I am sure as heck badly wanting him moved.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Sell all day... And hopefully twice on Sunday We didn't have a realistic chance at a cup with this roster anyway and it just got reduced to zero after the Pens trade for Brass, and what I can only assume is a similar loading up to follow from Tampa and Boston. We still have great building blocks in Z, Jones, PLD, Panarin, and Bob. Try to flip as much of the supporting cast as we can get good value for (Johnson, Jenner, Cam, Calvert, Wennberg, etc.), reset the coaching staff, and see what happens.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
"Let’s face reality. Their power play stinks. Their penalty kill has been inconsistent. When you’re a team who can’t score goals and have special teams in the sewer, even Sergei Bobrovsky can’t always save you. He’s done his part. The Blue Jackets are in a playoff spot despite just 18 regulation wins in 61 games."

https://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jackets-management-trade-deadline/
This part I agree with; I don't agree with the buying.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
"Let’s face reality. Their power play stinks. Their penalty kill has been inconsistent. When you’re a team who can’t score goals and have special teams in the sewer, even Sergei Bobrovsky can’t always save you. He’s done his part. The Blue Jackets are in a playoff spot despite just 18 regulation wins in 61 games."

This part I agree with; I don't agree with the buying.
Is this Lambert? He had a similar thing in his CD.
Puck Daddy Countdown: Celebrating Taylor Hall

under #6.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Buy. But to be fair I see trading JJ as buying. That's getting something for nothing not selling. I'd try to do any pairing of Savard, Jenner, Milano, picks, and prospects for a 2C. Add Wennberg for a 1C. Right now I don't see any available players to help the team. GMJK would have to pull out his trade magic but it's doable.

My idea is to trade off assets for picks and prospects that will be used on draft day next year to buy. So it's a sell now to buy later if that makes sense. What we would sell isn't to give up on the year but to gain assets to buy asap. I mean you could even use those assets to flip immediately but the end game is buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad