Buying or selling at the deadline?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
As the deadline rapidly approaches (one week away)...

Would you like to see the team go out and try to improve? Are there any players or positions you would like to see Jarmo target? What should they try to give up (realistically)?

Should he keep the roster as is?

Or, do you think it's broken and we should be selling off assets to try for another year? Are there any player(s) you want to see gone? What should he be looking to build with?

So many questions, so little time!

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
FWIW

I went with "sell"... as in, partial sell.

I think this team falls short this year. We can get some valuable picks and/or prospects that can be bargaining chips for players or pieces next year and beyond. I think the following should at least be reasonable.

Johnson: low 1st or high 2nd, or maybe a package involving a close prospect.
Jenner: may hold similar value to Johnson, but we may be better off waiting until the draft.
Calvert: mid-round pick or prospect.

Those four guys are the only ones I see really on the docket. If they hold onto Jenner, maybe package him up with some other pieces (especially if acquired this week) this summer and try to upgrade the top-two lines. I don't see them trying to move Dubinsky and I think Wennberg or Murray would be below fair value. So likewise, maybe this summer if the deal is right.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm a seller big time unless we can swing a reasonable deal for a guy like Mike Hoffman or Derrick Brassard - a good player on a bad team. Problem will be that those kind of guys will be sought by the top teams and they will drive up the price.

short of that I sell:
Johnson - for just about anything - better than losing him in free agency for nothing. Hopefully a 1st or 2nd or a pretty decent prospect.
Jenner - pretty much what I'd want for Johnson although I don't see a 1st in any way for him
Savard - a 1st or a real good prospect
Foligno & Dubinsky - as much as I could get.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm a seller big time unless we can swing a reasonable deal for a guy like Mike Hoffman or Derrick Brassard - a good player on a bad team. Problem will be that those kind of guys will be sought by the top teams and they will drive up the price.

short of that I sell:
Johnson - for just about anything - better than losing him in free agency for nothing. Hopefully a 1st or 2nd or a pretty decent prospect.
Jenner - pretty much what I'd want for Johnson although I don't see a 1st in any way for him
Savard - a 1st or a real good prospect
Foligno & Dubinsky - as much as I could get.

Good list of "get rid ofs"

Other than Foligno, the rest of them are pretty much useless or of marginal value in a league where the premium is on speed now. Foligno's contract is too expensive for what he has brought this season, but I would think that there is a reasonable possibility he could become a 50 points producer next season.

The 16 game winning streak and 108 points season was a one shot deal with this team. It's probably not even a playoff team as currently configured. Getting rid of the slowest pieces is vital. Dubinsky may require an asset to get rid of. Maybe someone's dumb enough to take Murray with him if we retain $1 million or so of Dubinsky's salary.

But it's going to be a rough call for the FO on whether to sell or not. If the CBJ had a playoff history consisting of more than 3 post season victories, then it would be a no brainer to sell. But that's not the case.

If he doesn't sell now, he needs to get real busy in the off season. A roster which includes Jenner and Dubinsky should not be acceptable going into next season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
FWIW

I went with "sell"... as in, partial sell.

I think this team falls short this year. We can get some valuable picks and/or prospects that can be bargaining chips for players or pieces next year and beyond. I think the following should at least be reasonable.

Johnson: low 1st or high 2nd, or maybe a package involving a close prospect.
Jenner: may hold similar value to Johnson, but we may be better off waiting until the draft.
Calvert: mid-round pick or prospect.

Those four guys are the only ones I see really on the docket. If they hold onto Jenner, maybe package him up with some other pieces (especially if acquired this week) this summer and try to upgrade the top-two lines. I don't see them trying to move Dubinsky and I think Wennberg or Murray would be below fair value. So likewise, maybe this summer if the deal is right.

This to a T.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Reluctantly voted to buy... but if we lose all 3 games this week and that could quickly change to sell the farm/fire Torts.

We have the assets to do some buying. 8th seed is still within reach. Only takes getting in to have a shot -- just look at Nashville last year ;)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Play it down the middle. I would trade JJ for right deal and it's likely he is gone anyways. Again d-men go for a premium at deadline so I think he can be moved.
But I would look for right opportunities to buy. As others have noted few sellers and lot of buyers, but you never know who could be available.
Again if prices are sky high sell more pieces.

Reactions: Viqsi

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Trade Johnson and look to make one for one deals with Jenner and maybe Savard. Jenner needs to be traded for more skill and Savard for a better defensive defenseman. Both incoming players need to have high hockey IQ

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The problem with selling now is that pretty much every single player we have would be selling low. If sellers and we can get a first from Johnson, do it. But everyone else would be tough to get full value for, which makes trading for good players at the deadline that much harder.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I voted buy, but only for longer term solutions. I really, really want Mike Hoffman or a center, and I also feel as if making the playoffs this year, regardless of result, is extremely important to going into next season, and keeping Panarin. Overall, any player we can acquire that would help us this year would be great, but they would have to help us in the future as well. For next year, I'd want this:

-Torts gone, Quenneville hired. I know this is an extreme longshot, but how great would this be? Sheldon Keefe would be another guy I'd be interested in.
-Jenner+Milano+2nd for Hoffman
-JJ for a 1st
-A move for a center, possibly using Wennberg.
-Sign a bottom pairing Dman that is better than Harrington

Let me dream. :laugh:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Just noticed i clicked on hold.....misclick.....sell!

J Johnson and Calvert have to go, hope one of them gets a cup....as along as it's not with LA or Nashville

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This rumor about 1st for JJ is such a lie!

Independent of his declining ability, he's going to go where the money is best after the season ends.

Why in the world would anyone give up a 1st (even #32) for JJ? He's not going to win anyone a SC.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Independent of his declining ability, he's going to go where the money is best after the season ends.

Why in the world would anyone give up a 1st (even #32) for JJ? He's not going to win anyone a SC.

As a #4 guy who can play on the second power-play? With his playoff history?

He did us a huge favor with his play against Pittsburgh the other night. He was physical, he was involved. I think, despite his down year, he's more coveted than most might assume.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I voted "hold."

I don't see moving JJ or Calvert as "sells." Yes, JK should get as much as he can for them as FAs. That just seems obvious to me under current circumstances. Even if CBJ were buyers, getting something in exchange for those two might still make sense (especially JJ).

IMO Jenner simply is not trade material right now. If he gets moved, do that in the summer; hopefully he shows something the last 23 games that gets the Jackets back on track and/or improves his value. Not holding my breath, but selling his contract off now is at absolute lowest value.

We can talk all we want about Foligno and Dubi. Fact is, they have NMC's that make any move next to impossible. And no other team wants their contracts. Not bad players, but not at high $5M per year for several years left on both contracts.

Savard - I'd see how he performs with another partner first. He was looking better with Kukan. I recognize he's a bit slow, but replacing him, imo, will not be easy task. I keep hearing about Carlsson, Gavrikov, etc... WHERE ARE THEY? (rhetorical question). Carlsson would be here if he was an improvement - still developing. Gavrikov may never get here. Murray's health remains to be seen.

The only asset for which CBJ could rake in a bunch as a Seller would be Bob. I don't trust Korpisalo as a long-term #1G - now or at any time in the future. Maybe getting a serviceable G back as part of a package would make sense. But I would not do the deal - get some consistent goal-scoring up front and Bob becomes the reason a SCF is in range. He's still in his prime for several years (just not the Pens-form prime, please). Move Bob and we will find out what a sieve the team D really is most nights. Sunday night excepted. But teams aren't going to trade top-line F's at the deadline - they want to add, not make hockey trades. Part of the reason for "hold" is that a trade like this (or others) may net much more in the summer than at the TDL.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
As a #4 guy who can play on the second power-play? With his playoff history?

He did us a huge favor with his play against Pittsburgh the other night. He was physical, he was involved. I think, despite his down year, he's more coveted than most might assume.

We shall all know in a matter of days what he is worth.

He has 8 points this season. 8. I doubt that his past playoff stats mean anything at this point.

I keep forgetting about Calvert. Is he a forgone conclusion to be moved? I still think he has value to the CBJ as a bottom 6 player.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
We shall all know in a matter of days what he is worth.

He has 8 points this season. 8. I doubt that his past playoff stats mean anything at this point.

I keep forgetting about Calvert. Is he a forgone conclusion to be moved? I still think he has value to the CBJ as a bottom 6 player.

I agree. But is he part of the long term plans? Again, we should know in a matter of days.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Voted sell- But, a limited sell. Sell Jack Johnson- Try to obtain a forward. If we can't get a forward- Just take the 1st round pick or a good prospect in return. Ryan Murray is back, hopefully Nutivaara can return in the next week. Don't really need him.

As for Boone Jenner- Mixed feelings-depends on the return. Matt Calvert- I don't think he'll return much, so it's not as critical to trade him considering our limited forward depth already. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Matt Calvert back for 1-2 more years at a limited cap hit- around 1.5 million a year. But, Matt Calvert better be slated as a 4th line winger if he's back

I'm not too worried about trading Dubinsky, Foligno, Savard at this trade deadline honestly.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
With all of the talk about trading our slow, aging players for fast talented youngsters, a question. Why would a team take Jenner off our hands and give us a really good prospect? All fanbases, including ours think other teams GM's are stupid and easily fleeced. The truth is if we trade our average players away, that's probably who we're going to get back...average players.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
With all of the talk about trading our slow, aging players for fast talented youngsters, a question. Why would a team take Jenner off our hands and give us a really good prospect? All fanbases, including ours think other teams GM's are stupid and easily fleeced. The truth is if we trade our average players away, that's probably who we're going to get back...average players.

Jenner is a valuable player. He's just expected to do too much after his 30 goal season. But, as a third line banger, there would be plenty of suitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad