TSN: Button Thinks Tavares To Leafs On One Year Deal Makes Sense

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why did it says Stupid Leafs? Nobody at the MGT level said JT is their target. Yes, Leafs fans want Stamkos, JT.... to sign with the Leafs, but I can't think of any fans base who dont. If anything, it is all those insiders that kept this up and the fact that TSN had the Stamkos countdown clock back then ain't helping.

Probably out of context. I believe it's just a shot at the Toronto media rather than the Leafs (or fans) themselves.

Does sound like he is bitter with the Leafs though which I find amusing

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I know this wont be a popular opinion but not really interested in Tavares.

I am interested in almost any player in the league for the right term and dollars.

Tavares wants to do a one year deal in Toronto for 5M or something? DONE.
Tavares wants a one year deal for $13M? NOPE

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
IMO, it would only really make sense if he thought he could win the Cup. Hossa, Selanne (and Kariya) signed one year deals with that in mind.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
"I want all the best players." If we could swap out Bozak for Tavares. :laugh:

Unfortunately I just don't think there is enough money to go around for a long term deal. We have our franchise forwards already.

Even for a one year deal, we would have to shed major coinage to sign him. Marleau, Hainsey deals killed any hope of signing a guy like Tavares for a year. Nobody seems to want JVR or Bozak right now, so we can't get rid of their salary (without taking some back as well)

But just for fun....

Marleau. Tavares. Marner
Kapenen Matthews. Nylander
Komarov. Kadri. Brown
Martin. Moore. Hyman

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
"I want all the best players." If we could swap out Bozak for Tavares. :laugh:

Unfortunately I just don't think there is enough money to go around for a long term deal. We have our franchise forwards already.

Even for a one year deal, we would have to shed major coinage to sign him. Marleau, Hainsey deals killed any hope of signing a guy like Tavares for a year. Nobody seems to want JVR or Bozak right now, so we can't get rid of their salary (without taking some back as well)

But just for fun....

Marleau. Tavares. Marner
Kapenen Matthews. Nylander
Komarov. Kadri. Brown
Martin. Moore. Hyman
Well 2 things. First. You could always trade one of Marner/Nylander for a stud defenceman. If Tavares signed long term. There is always ways to make the cap work. 2. Who said nobody wants JVR or Bozak? Why would Toronto trade them ? Especially now? Just because they aren't on another team doesn't mean no one wanted them.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Why did it says Stupid Leafs? Nobody at the MGT level said JT is their target. Yes, Leafs fans want Stamkos, JT.... to sign with the Leafs, but I can't think of any fans base who dont. If anything, it is all those insiders that kept this up and the fact that TSN had the Stamkos countdown clock back then ain't helping.

Maybe he was referring to Leaf fans. That would certainly make sense.

Some Insiders as you put it will feed the fans anything that will generate interest, readership, etc. I think this is focused on fans. For example, we had numerous threads about signing Stamkos here at HF.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The majority of posts I saw were saying Marner + Nylander. I do agree that it makes sense to go for Karlsson than Tavares given the team needs.

It must be August.
File this one under Button desperate to talk about anything.
Up next for Eklund: Duchene going to (insert team name).

It doesn't need to be August, although I get your point. LOL. We are good at this any time of the year.

We should start three more threads now: one each for Karlsson, Doughty and Tavares.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Some Insiders as you put it will feed the fans anything that will generate interest, readership, etc. I think this is focused on fans. For example, we had numerous threads about signing Stamkos here at HF.

or it could be the fact the Leafs interviewed him during his draft year, and didn't draft him so there could be a touch of "well blegh"

It doesn't need to be August, although I get your point. LOL. We are good at this any time of the year.

We should start three more threads now: one each for Karlsson, Doughty and Tavares.

why not? i will never understand the poohpoohing of discussing free agents potentially coming here. especially if it's discussed in the media.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I am interested in almost any player in the league for the right term and dollars.

Tavares wants to do a one year deal in Toronto for 5M or something? DONE.
Tavares wants a one year deal for $13M? NOPE

My comment was on the basis that Button's idea is totally insane (Tavares wouldnt take that finnacial risk) and that Tavares on a longterm/big money contract isnt something I'm at all interested in.

If Tavares wanted to come play in Toronto for some massive hometown discount that allowed things to fit synergistically capwise then sure I'd have some interest but that isnt happening.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I don't remember any elite players in their prime taking a 1 year deal other than Hossa with Pit & Detroit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
or it could be the fact the Leafs interviewed him during his draft year, and didn't draft him so there could be a touch of "well blegh"

why not? i will never understand the poohpoohing of discussing free agents potentially coming here. especially if it's discussed in the media.

There is nothing wrong with discussing the possibility of free agents coming here.
It's not us, it's the media that makes it hard for us fans who take the brunt of the criticism. Because of the way it's presented. Button's "it makes sense for the Leafs to sign Tavares for year" is a joke. People bypass what Button says and stick it all on the fans as out to lunch. Sure why not sign Tavares, Doughty and whoever to a 1 year deal. Start a new trend. It's the reporting style, reaching and dreaming in their delivery that cause us to suffer as a fanbase.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

1. or it could be the fact the Leafs interviewed him during his draft year, and didn't draft him so there could be a touch of "well blegh"

2. why not? i will never understand the poohpoohing of discussing free agents potentially coming here. especially if it's discussed in the media.

1. You could be right. Actually, I don't care about his personal motivation if that's the root of this. On the point about the fans, I think Ho-Sang is right about that. He's bang on.

2. Sure, why not? I agree. I find them interesting actually. Its particularly interesting when not-surprisingly the player doesn't sign with Toronto and then those that were really pro landing the player say that it was all for the better anyhow. Love the 180s ..... LOL. The vitriol & venom that is expressed by those that are skeptical, or question the logic of landing the next big fish is also interesting. I think we've always been better at the buy versus build anyhow though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If there is a guy in the 2018 UFA class, who I'd overpay for a year to join the Leafs, it would be Carlson.... RHD D, who can play D.... Top 2 guy... he'd do more for the Leafs than the addition of Tavares would. Frankly, I'd go for Vlasic or Fowler over Tavares too.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If there is a guy in the 2018 UFA class, who I'd overpay for a year to join the Leafs, it would be Carlson.... RHD D, who can play D.... Top 2 guy... he'd do more for the Leafs than the addition of Tavares would. Frankly, I'd go for Vlasic or Fowler over Tavares too.

Vlasic signed a monster deal with SJ already. Ugly contract in 2-3 years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
1. You could be right. Actually, I don't care about his personal motivation if that's the root of this. On the point about the fans, I think Ho-Sang is right about that. He's bang on.

2. Sure, why not? I agree. I find them interesting actually. Its particularly interesting when not-surprisingly the player doesn't sign with Toronto and then those that were really pro landing the player say that it was all for the better anyhow. Love the 180s ..... LOL. The vitriol & venom that is expressed by those that are skeptical, or question the logic of landing the next big fish is also interesting. I think we've always been better at the buy versus build anyhow though.

well i can't talk for everyone else.
but i don't 180. if they don't want to be here. then whatever. i don't want people who doesn't want to be leafs and i'm not gonna be all. 'rah rah it's fine they signed somewhere else." about it. but my inital feeling about it is the same.

like i think it still would have made sense to sign Stamkos.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't remember any elite players in their prime taking a 1 year deal other than Hossa with Pit & Detroit.

Kariya and Selanne did it to chase a cup with Colorado, but that was pretty far away from now and certainly not the same position the Leafs are in today from a competition POV.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Swedish Buffalo fan coming in peace.
For me Tavares to Toronto makes a lot of sense. Islanders isn't going to improve in a long time. Maybe if you bridge both Marner and Nylander you could give Tavares a huge 2 year deal and then extend him with a lower cap hit?
And it's not unheard of to take a pay cut when you change employer. Money isn't everything. Especially since Toronto is poised for a decade of success.
If you could go to a work place with the best leaders and a potential to be part of a real legacy - wouldn't you be prepared to take a 30% pay cut?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

I'm a little embarrassed for you that you don't understand crowd dynamics and that multiple opinions can be had by groups at the same time by virtue of subgroups of individuals. And when talking with small samples at different times, it can appear as though opinions have "changed", however for the individuals it was the same the whole time.

You need whatever you can to feel superior, I get it. But man.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
for us, it makes too much sense...for tavares, it makes no sense at all...in terms of logic, its so dumb we shouldnt even be talking about this

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
for us, it makes too much sense...for tavares, it makes no sense at all...in terms of logic, its so dumb we shouldnt even be talking about this
Button be like, IF is up to 9 pages on my rant!!!
giphy.gif

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Button be like, IF is up to 9 pages on my rant!!!
giphy.gif

Guys like him know that come August, throw crap at the wall and see what sticks. This isn't nearly the same story in November. It's a silly notion to think a 27 year old star is signing a one year deal. Its never happened and never will.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Guys like him know that come August, throw crap at the wall and see what sticks. This isn't nearly the same story in November. It's a silly notion to think a 27 year old star is signing a one year deal. Its never happened and never will.
Hossa signed a one year deal at 29
Kariya signed a one year deal at 28

That being said, I agree JT isn't going to join them. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad