Butch's Top Prospects

McPheesMoustache

No Scrubs...
Jul 11, 2009
Victoria
Hi everyone,
I always remember that I am French language first, and to write these words it is difficult for me, so be indulgent

I leave you my last list, updated with some NHL camp footage/Euro league and of course the WJ.
My background: I'm a ''skills'' coach(I don't love this term) I had work with Q team last year and now I'm working with a structure from PW to Midget AAA in QC. I'm also a scout for a Q team. I made my last for several years now, you can check my record below. RISER

Thanks - effort in doing this and posting rationales is much appreciated. Its great that you can share out your opinion like this and I find it helps me re-assess why I rank certain players differently.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Sens in the top 50

1-Tim Stutzle
1277933579.png

6-Jake Sandersen
1277933579.png

9-Erik Branstrom
1277933579.png

30-Drake Batherson
1277933579.png

37-Josh Norris
1277933579.png

Det in the top 50

10-Moritz Seider
1572004902.png

11-Lucas Raymond
1572004902.png

22-Filip Zadina
1572004902.png

41-Jonathan Berggren
1572004902.png

50-Joseph Veleno DET

LA in the top 50

12-Quinton Byfield
3173017702.png

46-Alex Turcotte
3173017702.png

49-Tyler Madden LAK

LA fans did an off season ranking of LA's prospects

1. Quinton Byfield, F - 87.1%
2. Gabriel Vilardi, F - 85.9%
3. Alex Turcotte, F - 90.2%
4. Tobias Bjornfot, D - 44.6%
5. Arthur Kaliyev, F - 76.6%
6. Samuel Fagemo, F - 54.8%
7. Mikey Anderson, D - 51.0%
8. Tyler Madden, F - 51.1%

oh and from the poll section of HF's ( could change as voting is still open
but as of 1/14 ) .

Best prospect pool in the NHL (DET vs LA vs NYR vs OTT )

1 LA Kings

191 vote(s)
32.6%

2 New York Rangers

186 vote(s)
31.8%

3 Ottawa Senators

183 vote(s)
31.3%
4 Detroit Red Wings

25 vote(s)
4.3%

this prospects rating is kind of fubar in my opinion.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I don't think you rate Anton Lundell high enough. He is definately more promising than Niemela (who I like a lot) . Additionally he is playing for Florida not Carolina.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Always love your list Butch

I wonder what you think of Jett Woo and Jack Rathbone?

I am also loving Podkolzin's motor......his recent Corsi is nearing 70%, so we are liking that
He remains a little bit of a mystery to me.......
As you say.....his bottom is a very high 3rd liner, which I see
The question for me is his ceiling.....I see it, then I don't, then I do

Any thoughts?

Tres Bon, Mon Ami!

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I don't think you rate Anton Lundell high enough. He is definately more promising than Niemela (who I like a lot) . Additionally he is playing for Florida not Carolina.

I'm always biased by defenseman...and when they have a solid skating and a good IQ, I always put them high but agree that Lundell have better upside to be a solid top 6 player(maybe a 1st center)

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Lol, right cause he knew Glass would get utilized in just about the worst way possible by Gallant and suffer three significant injuries for what ended up as a disaster rookie year. Even more incredible how he predicted how sharply Cody Eakin would regress from a solid 40 point two way 3C into a possession blackhole that forced any linemate he had, including Glass, to spend upwards of 60% of their TOI trying to get the puck back from their opponents.

Crazy how bang on he was with that.

Crazy how your aggregate ranking of the top 50 prospects in the league was so bang on, too. Oh wait...

Butch: keep it up - you're one of the good ones. Even if there are things I don't agree with, you're adding value, which is more than 98% of the posters here can say.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Crazy how your aggregate ranking of the top 50 prospects in the league was so bang on, too. Oh wait...

Butch: keep it up - you're one of the good ones. Even if there are things I don't agree with, you're adding value, which is more than 98% of the posters here can say.
Lol yeah. No one is allowed to disagree with individual points based on their own personal experiences with the subject matter of their own team unless they provide their own labor intensive list on the entirety of the prospects world. Hey, could you point out to me where I said the entire list sucks and that I know everything about every team's prospect in every league on the planet? Can't seem to find it.

Point was, and I wasn't even critizing Butch per se, but point is praising Butch's prediction that Glass wouldn't be that good as "bang on" when Butch did not have an ounce of foresight into how Glass would be utilized and the three injuries that resulted from that underutilization (you know, context?) is a bit silly. But this is HF where context doesn't matter. It's not a critique of the ranking itself, but praising the ranking as "bang on" based on an injury and deployment truncated rookie season by Glass.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Lafreniere is the best prospect since Mcdavid. There is no debate who number one is.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Always love your list Butch

I wonder what you think of Jett Woo and Jack Rathbone?

I am also loving Podkolzin's motor......his recent Corsi is nearing 70%, so we are liking that
He remains a little bit of a mystery to me.......
As you say.....his bottom is a very high 3rd liner, which I see
The question for me is his ceiling.....I see it, then I don't, then I do

Any thoughts?

Tres Bon, Mon Ami!

Hey man,
Just receive your DM, I will answer here

Podkolzin will be a ''special player''. I don't know if in the national league there are 10 players like him. Great motor like you said, play a trash game but with discipline. Remind me little bit of Gallgher, little bit or Marchand and little bit of Arvidsson. He is very very smart without the puck (and with the puck too)
but I think he's too fast all the time, which makes him less effective offensively. I have a feeling that other offensive player wouldn't necessarily like to play with him, or unless he doesn't touch the puck often. Have a hard time to predict how he will turn out but he will play in the NHL for long
Always be a fans with Jet Woo, I remember few year ago I was loving him on pair with Ty Smyth.
I'm not going to lie to you, I don't have a lot of recent updates on Jet Woo, but skills set is skills set. I found her feet to be excellent. His back skate is exceptional, in terms of gap management. Able to narrow its gaps with its edges, which is something I watch a lot. I don't think he's necessarily the fastest skater but his fast
sse is OK.
He has the potential to play NHL, it's going to take his chance and he'll have to take it. He is the type of player who can match well on the 3rd pair. But in don't think he process the game quick enough to be a impactful player on the offensive side in the NHL
Rathbone small viewing...can't give a good opinion with only 2 game but I will watch some video for you

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Hey man,
Just receive your DM, I will answer here

Podkolzin will be a ''special player''. I don't know if in the national league there are 10 players like him. Great motor like you said, play a trash game but with discipline. Remind me little bit of Gallgher, little bit or Marchand and little bit of Arvidsson. He is very very smart without the puck (and with the puck too)
but I think he's too fast all the time, which makes him less effective offensively. I have a feeling that other offensive player wouldn't necessarily like to play with him, or unless he doesn't touch the puck often. Have a hard time to predict how he will turn out but he will play in the NHL for long
Always be a fans with Jet Woo, I remember few year ago I was loving him on pair with Ty Smyth.
I'm not going to lie to you, I don't have a lot of recent updates on Jet Woo, but skills set is skills set. I found her feet to be excellent. His back skate is exceptional, in terms of gap management. Able to narrow its gaps with its edges, which is something I watch a lot. I don't think he's necessarily the fastest skater but his fast
sse is OK.
He has the potential to play NHL, it's going to take his chance and he'll have to take it. He is the type of player who can match well on the 3rd pair. But in don't think he process the game quick enough to be a impactful player on the offensive side in the NHL
Rathbone small viewing...can't give a good opinion with only 2 game but I will watch some video for you

Thank you Butch, I always enjoy your insight!

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I'm from Qc so I look Romanov closely since a long time and I'm pretty good with him in the range of 20-35 for the last 2-3 years.

TSJS2020

Jan 6, 2021

Bob McKenzie predicted this few months ago on his TSN 2020 final draft rankings show when he said if there is any player who could surpass Lafreniere that it would be Stutzle. That dude really knows what he is talking about and he had him ranked ahead of Byfeild based on scouts opinions.
(watch between 4:26 - 5:26)

Anyhow, good list and effort. This close to when these kids are drafted (the 2019 and 2020 draft class), there could always be lots changes as players develop further, some better than others.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Curious what your thoughts are on Jacob Bernard-Docker and Zachary Jones

I have a hard time evaluating the potential of Jacob Bernard-Docker. I find its east-west feet quite good, but south-north on the pivots quite difficult. Its 1 vs 1 long edges are in below average but his mobility on the blue line, tight space and on the regroup is pretty good.
I don't think his hockey sense is high enough to be a point producer in the NHL but he is able to make plays and make a secondary points. Not a sur NHLer but he will get some rep in the future and will have to take his chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad