Butch's List of the top 175 Drafted Prospects

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Having watched Niku play a decent amount, it surprises me that he's ranked at 98. I don't know enough about the people ahead of him to present arguments to put him above them however, but I'd like to hear your take on why he's that far down please! Bear in mind, I'm not arguing his spot, just wondering about it.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Mostly a good list! Although with your write up on Sandin I have to correct you because his decision making is actually one of his strong suits very calm and smart. Also Bracco is PPG in AHL at 21 he needs more love.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Having watched Niku play a decent amount, it surprises me that he's ranked at 98. I don't know enough about the people ahead of him to present arguments to put him above them however, but I'd like to hear your take on why he's that far down please! Bear in mind, I'm not arguing his spot, just wondering about it.

I think is very difficult to compare a player who get just drafted like Nic Beaudin and comparing him to a guy who already play 4 years of pro hockey like Niku . I'm a Winnipeg Jets fans so a watch a lot of Jets play (and the Moose) and yeah he got the skills but i don't find what i saw in the minor , translate in the NHL except in last year playoffs . Sometimes i feel like Niku is stressed in the NHL , but he have a solid skills IQ to beat opponent , and a fluid skating . He will be interesting , the place he will have next year with the defensemen movement , but it's time for him to make her place in the Show , he's 22 year old already and already had one strong year in the AHL

I had Bracco in the first round at his draft , i found in the junior that he was so sneaky and so good in puck protection that with his size he could end up into a good top 6 player . Yeah he had a good season , but the last four game i had watch of marlies , i found him terrible , that why he was on the list the last two years and this year not . Not enough dynamist in his skating for his size and not enough implicated to use his skills package , lost his battle also and play terrible on the wall . But maybe i was unlucky and i had watch 4 of his baddest game , because i know he had the tools to be a dominant player like in the junior

Reactions: Saitama

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Very nice job - I'm sure this took many, many hours.

Pleasantly surprised to see Ben Gleason at 108. Could you elaborate on your thoughts about him?

Honestly , i didn't have note about him before this year . Catch up 1 games of him in the A and one game in the NHL , and i found that he he had a solid skating for carrying the puck , make some edge move and crossover , very efficient . The style of defenseman i want on my team . I find that 2 or 3 pivot was difficult ( foward to backward) but i'm intriguing about him . Could end up into a good 3-4-5 defensemen

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Thank Butch26

My motive for asking was to get an objective opinion without and Trolls derailing it...…...personally, Goldobin;s offensive upside is fine, and is a top 6 forward in that regard, but he is a little spotty. Where Green has a problem with him is on the boards and defensively. He is 23 and that is why I ask, just trying to see if he had value, which is why I ask.

Again, I appreciate your view, very much. Thank you for taking the time...……..

I was great to read your analysis on all the prospects value...…..It gives us Canuck fans hope, despite some of the talk by Trolls on here......Merci beaucoup!

I think that the Canucks had one of the brightest futur in the NHL

Reactions: zcaptain

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
That’s really cool. Did Veleno and Comtois dominate every game?

Humm Comtois finished best scorer and Veleno top 10 . They was not in my division so i only play them 2 times . Comtois was playing with Morand and Comtois look pretty solid . I was a sort of Max Lapierre , and Comtois was not disturb by that meanwhile Morand was a little girl on the ice . They both never scored against us .

Veleno was 14 and me 17 , and we had a pretty stacked defensive team this year . I was only putting point on the PP against us , pretty solide on the Halfboard . Was okay , he was driving the play well but i was easy to play in the corner

Reactions: King In The North

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Humm Comtois finished best scorer and Veleno top 10 . They was not in my division so i only play them 2 times . Comtois was playing with Morand and Comtois look pretty solid . I was a sort of Max Lapierre , and Comtois was not disturb by that meanwhile Morand was a little girl on the ice . They both never scored against us .

Veleno was 14 and me 17 , and we had a pretty stacked defensive team this year . I was only putting point on the PP against us , pretty solide on the Halfboard . Was okay , he was driving the play well but i was easy to play in the corner
Interesting. Living in Montreal, I've been hearing about Veleno for years. Thanks for sharing.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Heponiemi riser on your list or still 48th? Pretty much 1 ppg in Liiga as a rookie.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Ty Smith at 24 is still a bit too low in my (biased) opinion. Shoutout to @EXTRAS for the post:

Since the lockout, so 2005/06 to date, the following D have put up 1.0 PPG or better in the WHL as a U19 player:

1.32 Ty Smith
1.27 - Brenden Kichton
1.24 - Josh Morrissey
1.20 - David Quenneville
1.18 - Ivan Provorov
1.14 - Tyson Barrie
1.13 - Shea Theodore
1.13 - Henri Jokiharju
1.12 - Calen Addison (this season, it's early)
1.06 - Ty Smith (age 17!)
1.05 - Jake Bean
1.03 - Joe Hicketts
1.02 - Derrick Pouliot
1.02 - Jusso Valimaki
1.02 - Ivan Provorov (age 17!)
1.00 - Morgan Rielly (age 17!)
-----
Not to mention Smith is solid in his own end and doesn't even play on a powerhouse WHL team (9th out of 22 teams)

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Heponiemi riser on your list or still 48th? Pretty much 1 ppg in Liiga as a rookie.

Didn't see him since the WJ , but no he would not . Heponiemi had a solid ''Skills IQ'' , he always scanning the play and he always calculate the play to put point on the board . But the lack of winning 50/50 battle , and i found that the game of Heponiemi will be hard to translate to the NHL .

The stats don't matter , but yeah the stats your had posted is impressive . He skated well , good for developing the play , had a good shot always on the net but i don't have the wow factor , or his own savor that will make him a special player

Reactions: Digable5

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Didn't see him since the WJ , but no he would not . Heponiemi had a solid ''Skills IQ'' , he always scanning the play and he always calculate the play to put point on the board . But the lack of winning 50/50 battle , and i found that the game of Heponiemi will be hard to translate to the NHL .

The stats don't matter , but yeah the stats your had posted is impressive . He skated well , good for developing the play , had a good shot always on the net but i don't have the wow factor , or his own savor that will make him a special player

But again , i think he will be a top 2 all around defensemen and yes he could break the top 20 in the end of the year

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's always interesting to me to see people who see such a massive chasm between Timmins, that he lands 16th on this list despite missing the entire season, and Meloche, who doesn't even crack the top 175.

As an avs fan, I have similar expectations for both of them...Meloche making more of an impact defensively & physically, Timmins making more of an impact getting the puck up ice; both of them having viable top 4 potential and the still reachable-ceilings of partnering a true #1 on a top pairing if their games' mesh. Both where drafted at the top of the 2nd round with many putting 1st round grades on them...and both have shown progress since being drafted in the areas they needed work.

Is it just because Timmins was invited to the WJC & excelled? Or that his skillset is sexier?

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Ikonen over Texier seems weird, since Texier has been a lot better player this season and last. I'd rank Tex over Luostarinen too, because he has higher upside.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Both Farabee and Ylonen should be top 20 while Tolvainen should be bumped out of the top 20... Hugues is easily one of the most skilled and flashy prospects out there but will be asked to simplify his game at the NHL level, trying to dangle east-west in the neutral zone wont work anymore and the defensive side of his game will always be his Achille heel, for those reasons alone, I wouldnt rank him that high... Kupari way too high, blazing speed but low hockey IQ..

Last edited:

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Good argument

In the games and video i watch Farabee is like a chess player think, reacting, moving and making descision 2-3 shot before everyone else on the ice .... insane IQ ,intelligence and hands eye coordination ...no way a guy like Lundestrom is better them him

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Nice list. One thing I'd change is the placement of Lundkvist and Kandre. I think most Ranger fans currently have Miller over Lundkvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad