Bustin' for Auston: Oilers lose 1-0

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Horc always plays tough in Edmonton.
Who knows better how quickly this team lies down that the guy who taught them how to do it?
He bunched up all his nerve and took a good run at Gazdic from behind, along the boards and flattened him.
Obviously Gazdic wanted to kill him but the Oilers were getting the PP, so ol'Horc got to skate to the box posing like a tough guy.

The strangest thing on that is Horc telling Gazdik he didn't mean to make that play. Every bit of visible intent was indicated on that play viewed from any angle. Dirty hit. He saw the number and went for it with Gaz in precarious position. Given how pathetic Horc is presently probably trying to earn some brownie points out there.

Horc should retire. Whats he doing still playing in the NHL? Looks like a fossil out there.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hey Ducks, you might be garbage, but you ain't got nothing on the Oilers!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Only 2 points away from being back where we belong. I honestly never thought the team would be this bad this season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Shutout loss at home on New Year's Eve is so oilers

Perhaps its a good idea that this was the first home NYE matchup since 88?

Man, this org just does nothing at all to please its fans.

Really going on a quarter century of futility here. Theres generations that have known nothing other than failure from this org outside of 06 in which case success was a given due to the CBA enacted on small market clubs behalf.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Only 2 points away from being back where we belong. I honestly never thought the team would be this bad this season.

Kind of an interesting stat, but including the game McDavid got hurt (game #13), the Oilers had five games where they scored 4 or more goals (every 2.5 games on average) from the start of the season. From games #14 to #39, they have scored four or more goals only five times as well (every 5 games on average).

I was also looking ahead at their schedule. If they manage to stay within 5 points of a spot, 8 of their final 10 games of the season are against the Pacific. They will need to run the table to have any hope, but that's a big "if" to stay in the hunt with the eggs they've laid since the Christmas break.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Horc always plays tough in Edmonton.
Who knows better how quickly this team lies down that the guy who taught them how to do it?
He bunched up all his nerve and took a good run at Gazdic from behind, along the boards and flattened him.
Obviously Gazdic wanted to kill him but the Oilers were getting the PP, so ol'Horc got to skate to the box posing like a tough guy.

:laugh:....that is pretty funny. Good old Horc. I've actually noticed a few players taking runs at Gazdic over the season with not much response. Maybe they don't want to go with him after but once in a while you just need to grab a guy and feed him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Schultz did nothing. That still makes him garbage considering he puts up no points either way.
Best d man was Davidson by a mile.

Not sure about best but damn was it nice to see him back. Looked very good.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
:laugh:....that is pretty funny. Good old Horc. I've actually noticed a few players taking runs at Gazdic over the season with not much response. Maybe they don't want to go with him after but once in a while you just need to grab a guy and feed him.

Can't wait until Gazdic is gone. He rarely even makes a good hit once a game. He is just so confused out there at everything, even his "enforcer" role.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Can't wait until Gazdic is gone. He rarely even makes a good hit once a game. He is just so confused out there at everything, even his "enforcer" role.
How bad is it when teams now take runs at our toughest players and a Smurf like Horcoff not 1 team fears the Oilers to the point they mock the OIlers enforcer. And Of course Horcoff goes untouched rest of game.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

i have maintained the opinion that Gazdick isn't the same player he was since injuring his shoulder a few years ago (or was it last year?). other team's tough guys aren't afraid of him anymore and other team's players aren't either. he doesn't seem to fight as well as he used to as well. perhaps time for him to go?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
i have maintained the opinion that Gazdick isn't the same player he was since injuring his shoulder a few years ago (or was it last year?). other team's tough guys aren't afraid of him anymore and other team's players aren't either. he doesn't seem to fight as well as he used to as well. perhaps time for him to go?

Gazdic is useless to this team. Plays no role so it's time to cut.....

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gazdic is useless to this team. Plays no role so it's time to cut.....

I wrote an article and put up a poll saying this very thing and the result was damn near 50/50 between people that wanted him gone and people that wanted him back next year.

I feel like it would be 80/20 now.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Ya, he really can't do anything out there other then turn over the puck. That fourth line is so sad at the moment. :shakehead

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wrote an article and put up a poll saying this very thing and the result was damn near 50/50 between people that wanted him gone and people that wanted him back next year.

I feel like it would be 80/20 now.

He plays an extinct role in todays game. Having him out there provides zero insurance for the teams star players. You're better off using cheap shot artists/pests instead.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

I think this is the last year on his deal. I can't see any reason to renew him. I think they'd be better off bringing in a couple cruiser weight type guys that can play. The new NHL I guess.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
He plays an extinct role in todays game. Having him out there provides zero insurance for the teams star players. You're better off using cheap shot artists/pests instead.

This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The NHL is better policed by cheap shot artists than stand up pugilists. The unintended consequences of poor NHL officiating and suspensions with no teeth are dirty plays and injuries ... that must see retribution only via "cheap shots" and "dirty plays". If you have players like that on your team, I think players would be reticent to take liberties with your core players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The NHL is better policed by cheap shot artists than stand up pugilists. The unintended consequences of poor NHL officiating and suspensions with no teeth are dirty plays and injuries ... that must see retribution only via "cheap shots" and "dirty plays". If you have players like that on your team, I think players would be reticent to take liberties with your core players.

I'd much rather see a guy like Kale Kessy in that role next year. He seems to drive opposing players insane down on the farm.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The strangest thing on that is Horc telling Gazdik he didn't mean to make that play. Every bit of visible intent was indicated on that play viewed from any angle. Dirty hit. He saw the number and went for it with Gaz in precarious position. Given how pathetic Horc is presently probably trying to earn some brownie points out there.

Horc should retire. Whats he doing still playing in the NHL? Looks like a fossil out there.

"You can't do that Shawn":laugh:

In all seriousness though, Horcoff should have retired before the last lock out ended. He was finished as an NHL player even before that. The only positive thing Mactavish did in his time as GM was removing him from the roster. Unfortunately, that skid mark has left a long lasting legacy with the guys he played with. They've learned it's okay to cut corners and give sub par effort because they don't get held accountable and you can make a hell of a lot more money player here than you would playing for a team that actually wants to compete.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I'd much rather see a guy like Kale Kessy in that role next year. He seems to drive opposing players insane down on the farm.

Is that because you think he would be more effective in the role of 'team policeman' than a cheap shot artist; or because you don't like the idea of that type of player on the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad