Bustin' for Auston: Oilers lose 1-0

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Have you ever had a high ankle sprain. Look what happened to Klinkhammer when he returned from a high ankle sprain and re-injured the ankle the same game he returned. Good grief. :shakehead:help:

I find being high helps with the pain of an ankle sprain, but to each their own.:yo::sarcasm:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Have you ever had a high ankle sprain. Look what happened to Klinkhammer when he returned from a high ankle sprain and re-injured the ankle the same game he returned. Good grief. :shakehead:help:

So the league releases this shortly after the injury http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=789895 and then when Yak is questioned recently he's like no it was 4-6 weeks...... he must have figured the reporters were on to him.....:laugh: ......

McL: Hey yak you ready to go

Yak: I don't know, ask McDavid.

McL: Huh....:huh:

Yak::D

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I find being high helps with the pain of an ankle sprain, but to each their own.:yo::sarcasm:

Were you dealing with the pain of a sprained ankle when you wrote the following? :sarcasm:

I bet he gets bought out. No point keeping him around if he is done as an NHLer.

The 'point' for putting Ference on LTIR next year is cap room. Pronger is on LTIR for this season and next for the Coyotes. Given that he is working full-time for the league in Toronto I don't think he is around the Coyotes at all. Pronger is definitely done as an NHLer.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Were you dealing with the pain of a sprained ankle when you wrote the following? :sarcasm:

The 'point' for putting Ference on LTIR next year is cap room. Pronger is on LTIR for this season and next for the Coyotes. Given that he is working full-time for the league in Toronto I don't think he is around the Coyotes at all. Pronger is definitely done as an NHLer.

I have chronic ankle issues.:sarcasm:

This would be the problem with Ferrence on LTIR. You cant put him on LTIR in the summer and you have to be cap compliant before you are able to put him on LTIR. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Oilers would not have the ability to use the money saved from Ferrence on the IR until after camp opens, or whenever the deadline is to be cap compliant. Unless you have a trade lined up right before the season to use that cap space, I think it would be wasted anyways, because you would not be able to use it in free agency or via trade in the summer. A buyout at least opens up 2 mil and a roster spot that can be used right away in the off season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yup, Yak decided to fake his injury tests and really got one past the doctor just so he wouldn't have to play without McDavid.

Even in practice. Yak didn't want to be seen out there without McDavid :sarcasm:

Honestly, 250 lb linesman falls on his leg awkwardly. Yak is lucky he's not out for months.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hurt his feelings pretty bad I think.

The Oilers org has created half a dozen new job titles to keep the OBC around in meaningless jobs. I guess it's not a stretch to make up new injuries for LTIR. "High ego sprain".

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The Oilers org has created half a dozen new job titles to keep the OBC around in meaningless jobs. I guess it's not a stretch to make up new injuries for LTIR. "High ego sprain".

That's on rookie owner Katz.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The Oilers are first in the league for TOI-adjusted man games lost. Some of you need to dial it back IMHO. They're not anywhere near the worst team in the league.

While I do agree that the long string of injuries throughout the roster so far has certainly not helped this team reach it's "optimum" level this season... I also think that it's naive to think the team would have had NO injures either.

Every team gets injuries and deals with them and unfortunately it seems the Oilers have more than their fair share of injuries to deal with almost every single season.

I know a lot have been saying it's constant bad luck to have the team consistently having to deal with injuries to key players... but it's also part of an org's strength to be able to have the depth to at least somewhat be able to fill those holes with reasonable replacements until those better players come back.

This team may not be the worst team in the NHL (when healthy)... but they do arguably have some of the worst depth in the NHL to be able to compensate when key players go down... and every year that lack of depth (combined with the teams overall mediocrity) seems to always sink this team into a near-basement finish in the West and bottom 5 in the NHL.

Let's assume the Oilers going forward will continue to have above average rates of man games lost to injury... do we accept that they can keep using that as an excuse for bottom 5 finishes... or should this org actually try and develop/acquire better depth?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
While I do agree that the long string of injuries throughout the roster so far has certainly not helped this team reach it's "optimum" level this season... I also think that it's naive to think the team would have had NO injures either.

Every team gets injuries and deals with them and unfortunately it seems the Oilers have more than their fair share of injuries to deal with almost every single season.

I know a lot have been saying it's constant bad luck to have the team consistently having to deal with injuries to key players... but it's also part of an org's strength to be able to have the depth to at least somewhat be able to fill those holes with reasonable replacements until those better players come back.

This team may not be the worst team in the NHL (when healthy)... but they do arguably have some of the worst depth in the NHL to be able to compensate when key players go down... and every year that lack of depth (combined with the teams overall mediocrity) seems to always sink this team into a near-basement finish in the West and bottom 5 in the NHL.

Let's assume the Oilers going forward will continue to have above average rates of man games lost to injury... do we accept that they can keep using that as an excuse for bottom 5 finishes... or should this org actually try and develop/acquire better depth?

well, they have to be better at everything. in the Lowe era, they were poor at almost every hockey aspect of the business.

One thing I hope they have finally admitted (tho, there is no sign that they have) is that they are not this highly talented team they, and many observers, think they are.

They have 3 high-end players: McDavid, Hall and it appears Draisaitl. Nurse and Klefbom may be close, probably 2nd tier players. that is no more than most teams

After that, they have some good players like Sekera and RNH, and then a bunch of mediocre, borderline NHL, and straight up AHL/KHL/Swiss league players.

Until they admit this, we are hooped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad