OT: Business Thread (Rangers/Dolan-related): Cablevision sold, Dolan hires Thomas again

RangerRider114

Sep 17, 2014
The Isle of Coney
I just read the story on the Times site. Now we know why the Dolans wanted to split the big company apart last year. Cablevision/Optimum was spinned off, while the MSG/Knicks/Rangers/MSGN businesses stayed as one. So no changes for the Rangers.

RangerRider114

Sep 17, 2014
The Isle of Coney

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Not surprised. Print media is dying. I remember just a few years ago all the print media guys had an elitist approach towards the lowly "bloggers". They thought since they had the press passes they were untouchable. None of these guys is providing anything that I can't get for free from a blogger or internet publication. In fact, most of the "bloggers" actually put real work in to crunch stats and do analysis instead of just talking out their you-know-what. You get better analysis on here then in most print media sports articles.

One of the few ways they could actually provide something unique is if they used those press passes to ask legitimate questions but, of course, that never happens.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just read the story on the Times site. Now we know why the Dolans wanted to split the big company apart last year. Cablevision/Optimum was spinned off, while the MSG/Knicks/Rangers/MSGN businesses stayed as one. So no changes for the Rangers.

Ah that's right. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Merging these topics as neither one appears to really effect the Rangers.

Not a problem. Figured it'd be good offseason discussion haha

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Wow very surprised this went through without much press. Great move by the Dolans, they got a $1.1B premium over the valuation. Not surprised about print media's decline, this has been going on for a while.

There has always been an elitist attitude in print, while the writers certainly don't control the business side of things, most print publications have been in decline for years. Look at the NY Times.

Similar trends are taking place with cable, ESPN has been suffering greatly and the cordcutters have taken over.

The gem is in internet subscriptions, now the move towards wireless data, and better plans through the air are a short while away, so there could be a decline in consumer internet users among the non media consumers (those that don't need gigs of data to get by).

The Dolans were very smart to pull the trigger on this, they were in a situation where a lifestyle business (MSG, Knicks, Rangers) were actually worth more than what people would refer to as a cash cow in cable vision.

For the French company, its a guaranteed and safe cash cow, for the Dolans, they took something as far as it could go as its current construct. Now the buyers are leaning down by cutting the fat and will run things their way.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Not surprised. Print media is dying. I remember just a few years ago all the print media guys had an elitist approach towards the lowly "bloggers". They thought since they had the press passes they were untouchable. None of these guys is providing anything that I can't get for free from a blogger or internet publication. In fact, most of the "bloggers" actually put real work in to crunch stats and do analysis instead of just talking out their you-know-what. You get better analysis on here then in most print media sports articles.

One of the few ways they could actually provide something unique is if they used those press passes to ask legitimate questions but, of course, that never happens.

I couldn't disagree more with your point about bloggers. Most recycle information they find in other places, often with no regard to the truth. Real journalists (I know because I used to be one) study their subjects, do their homework and often seem late with information because they are verifying facts. First does not necessarily mean most accurate.

You are right, print as we have known it is dying, but good journalism lives on through the web. Being a reporter isn't the cush job you might imagine. Having lived the life, I can tell you, the hours are long, the working conditions are often misaerable, and the subjects you are covering aren't necessarily the most cooperative. While the New York Times is not particularly hockey relevant, they still do a fantastic job covering a myriad or other sports as well as national and local news. So do many other newspapers.

Most people (including myself) who have blogged, generally use the space to advance a point of view. Take what you read in a blog with a very big grain of salt.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
AMC is also part of the Garden. Dolan kept that in the fold. The next move is to sell the sports channels to Fox or Comcast. The Garden teams will also gets a TV rights fee from the buyer. That is what happened with the YES and Fox. The cable TV rights to the Rangers,Knicks,Devils and Islanders.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Jim Dolan's Selling of Cablevision...any effect on the Rangers Organization?

Will this have any effect on the Rangers/Knicks (not the players, the organizations as a whole).

Feel like this is kinda a big deal but I haven't really heard anything about it in terms of if the sports teams are going to be effected in anyway.

edit - just saw there was another thread on it, though i'm not really concerned about the layoffs or politics, to just keep this on Rangers topic and not OT I'm just wondering if anyone knows or thinks the team will be effected.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Will this have any effect on the Rangers/Knicks (not the players, the organizations as a whole).

Feel like this is kinda a big deal but I haven't really heard anything about it in terms of if the sports teams are going to be effected in anyway.

edit - just saw there was another thread on it, though i'm not really concerned about the layoffs or politics, to just keep this on Rangers topic and not OT I'm just wondering if anyone knows or thinks the team will be effected.

Should not effect the Knicks or Rangers. MSG and the teams were spun off from Cablevision a while ago.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Charles Dolan is retired. He was an old man when Cablevision got involved with the Garden and that was 21 years ago. Jim Dolan wasn't involved in the day to day business of Cablevision. He is already mostly involved with the Garden assets.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Too bad. I have to say that whenever I've had to deal with Cablevision's employees or customer service they've always been great.

They'll probably be OK. Its the guy that make 6 figures that better watch their back.

Anyway, the biggest change to the Rangers is that JD and the Straight Shots might be using the Garden more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad